CBS HDTV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Discodave

Original poster
Dec 12, 2003
I am new to HDTV but I am jumping on the offer from DISH NETWORK.
They are installing it next Sat. My question is: I will be getting local channels through DISH and was wondering if CBS would be in HD. on the dish or will I need another antenna.
Thanks

Discodave said:
They are installing it next Sat. My question is: I will be getting local channels through DISH and was wondering if CBS would be in HD. on the dish or will I need another antenna.
Thanks

Dishnetwork has CBS-HD available from New York or Los Angeles, if you qualify. I see that you are in MS. Without a waiver from your local CBS, you're not going to qualify.

You will probably need an antenna to receive CBS-HD.

Discodave said:
Thanks, what antenna should I get and do you run it directly to the 811?

You run the antenna lead (RG-6 coax) directly to the 811.

The antenna that you will need depends completely on what channels your digital feeds are on, (I just looked and they are all UHF), where you are in relation to the transmitting tower(s), and what's in between. I suggest you go to www.antennaweb.org and use that site to help you decide what you will need.

Do you have an antenna today? Do you get a good analog signal? If so, you're good to go already.

Discodave said:
Thanks, what antenna should I get and do you run it directly to the 811?

Welcome to the forum.

Yes the antenna lead in will attach to the back of the 811.
try: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.asp
Larry

I called my local CBS affiliate here in Denver and they said I don't need a waiver, but Dish says I need one. Denver is not considered a blackout area so I can't get the CBS-HD through DISH, but I do get it through my OTA. So, just an FYI on this waiver issue.

Shichonni said:
I called my local CBS affiliate here in Denver and they said I don't need a waiver, but Dish says I need one. Denver is not considered a blackout area so I can't get the CBS-HD through DISH, but I do get it through my OTA. So, just an FYI on this waiver issue.

You wouldnt need one if you are in Denver..From the Dish site
QUALIFICATION METHOD #1
You must live in one of the 17 market areas served by stations owned and operated by the CBS corporation. Owned and operated stations are commonly referred to as O&O stations. (O&O stations serve only 35% of the country. Hence, most areas in the country are served by stations which carry CBS programming, but are owned by independent companies. These are known as affiliates.)

The 17 markets served by CBS O&O stations are: Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Marquette, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and Green Bay.
AND
You must not be in range to receive the signals of a CBS affiliate from a nearby city. For instance many people in Baltimore (an O&O station market) are in range of the Washington DC CBS affiliate. These Baltimore residents cannot receive the HD feed without a waiver from the Washington DC CBS affiliate. The logic behind this is that the owners of the affiliate station do not wish to lose viewers to the New York or LA CBS station, generally a loss of viewers leads to a loss of ad revenue for the station.

Bobby said:
Discodave said:
Thanks

Dishnetwork has CBS-HD available from New York or Los Angeles, if you qualify. I see that you are in MS. Without a waiver from your local CBS, you're not going to qualify.

But what if you live in a market, San Antonio, that has local channels, but the CBS-HD OTA signal is so weak, I can't get it even though I live within the city? And yes, I've tried many antenna solutions.

The CSR I just spoke with told me I would get it, but I think he has no idea what he was talking about. I think you have to qualify for it.

shellbmb said:
Bobby said:
Discodave said:
Thanks

But what if you live in a market, San Antonio, that has local channels, but the CBS-HD OTA signal is so weak, I can't get it even though I live within the city? And yes, I've tried many antenna solutions.

The CSR I just spoke with told me I would get it, but I think he has no idea what he was talking about. I think you have to qualify for it.

Here are Dish's qualificatinos to get CBS-HD (from their site)

QUALIFICATION METHOD #1
You must live in one of the 17 market areas served by stations owned and operated by the CBS corporation. Owned and operated stations are commonly referred to as O&O stations. (O&O stations serve only 35% of the country. Hence, most areas in the country are served by stations which carry CBS programming, but are owned by independent companies. These are known as affiliates.)

The 17 markets served by CBS O&O stations are: Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Marquette, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and Green Bay.
AND
You must not be in range to receive the signals of a CBS affiliate from a nearby city. For instance many people in Baltimore (an O&O station market) are in range of the Washington DC CBS affiliate. These Baltimore residents cannot receive the HD feed without a waiver from the Washington DC CBS affiliate. The logic behind this is that the owners of the affiliate station do not wish to lose viewers to the New York or LA CBS station, generally a loss of viewers leads to a loss of ad revenue for the station.

Importantly, it is possible to get a waiver from the affiliate station allowing you receive a distant CBS feed. Today, CBS is attempting to get blanket waivers for the HD feed for all customers affected by these neighboring affiliate stations. If this effort is not successful, we will seek to get individual CBS waivers for individual customers upon request. Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to compel affiliate stations to grant waivers. Waivers are granted at the affiliate station's discretion, which is beyond our control. Please be assured that we are working hard with CBS in an effort to procure affiliate waivers.
AND
You must subscribe to any one our distant or local network packages. If you do, the CBS-HD feed will be added at no extra charge.

QUALIFICATION METHOD #2
You must live in an area that does not receive the broadcasts of local stations in any market area (a so called "White Area")

You must subscribe to any one our distant network packages (these include: Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, New York, and Los Angeles). If you do, the CBS-HD feed will be added at no extra charge.

Shellbmb
Unless you have distant CBS, you wouldnt qualify under qualifier 1 because your city's CBS isnt O&O.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts