CBS Waiver/Michigan Residents

Eric_C

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
After ordering the Voom pack and the $100 second dish I got to thinking about the free dish included with the waiver for CBS HD.

So I called and was denied. This is probably because of my mailing address. This will only make sense to people in Michigan but I have a South Lyon,
MI mailing address which is in Oakland County, the same county as CBS Detroit.

I actually live in Green Oak Township in Livingston County.

I get "kind of" get CBS HD, probably 30 percent of the time on the first try, the rest of the time its flip back and forth, back and forth, get 49 percent signal strength. Sometimes it comes in, other times it does not.

Weather deppendant and all that stuff...the CSR could not do anything about it. This whole zip code thing is a royal pain in the ass, we run into things like this quite a bit, mostly with the insurance companies.

Who else here has gotten a waiver and how tough was it?

I can live with it as it is, we watch Football and a few other shows on CBS and know once we're locked it we stay on the channel.

However, it would be totally useless with a DVR since I would not get a signal 100 percent of the time.

Plus hey, its saves me a 100 dollars.

Call back to Dish and talked to a CSR for 20 minutes, she kept denying a free dish over and over and over.

Finally I asked her, "So your supervisor has NEVER approved a free dish for locals?", she said yes, so I asked for her super's operator ID, I was going to research and call back.

She told me she would get him. Talked to him and got the run around again saying they will not install the dish for free, after 15 minutes with him going round and round he says "We'll only install the dish for free for WADL", I had never heard of WADL, channel 38 out of Ann Arbor, which is 10 miles from me.

I checked my program guide, no WADL and he approved the free dish pointing at 61.5, no waiver, no hassle. They kept my same appointment and refunded me my $100.00.

:)

Eric_C said:
Call back to Dish and talked to a CSR for 20 minutes, she kept denying a free dish over and over and over.

Finally I asked her, "So your supervisor has NEVER approved a free dish for locals?", she said yes, so I asked for her super's operator ID, I was going to research and call back.

She told me she would get him. Talked to him and got the run around again saying they will not install the dish for free, after 15 minutes with him going round and round he says "We'll only install the dish for free for WADL", I had never heard of WADL, channel 38 out of Ann Arbor, which is 10 miles from me.

I checked my program guide, no WADL and he approved the free dish pointing at 61.5, no waiver, no hassle. They kept my same appointment and refunded me my $100.00.

:)

Yep people who want the 2nd dish need to specifically identify a channel that they want that they cannot get without the 2nd dish. I live just north of you up in Milford and requested WADL specifically about a year ago, got a free 2nd dish. However, could not get a CBS HD waiver.

Not an issue, though, I have a channelmaster (I think 4228, its been a while) up in our attic and get a great signal strength on all local HDs. You might want to just consider going down that route vs. using satellite for local HD.

JHuibregtse said:
I wonder why you weren't approved for CBS-HD. WWJ is an Owned and Operated station, and shouldn't have given you any hassle about it.

I agree, that's exactly what I told Dish, they just said it wasn't approved..but it wasn't a big deal to me as I get CBS-HD OTA perfectly.

I am in Wayne County and I was turned down because I am Grade B for CBS in Toledo, which is not O & O, as long as you are Grade B for another like station they can still turn you down, I tried to get a waiver from Toledo, but they said when I called them direct, that they turn down all waiver requests.

bruce said:
I am in Wayne County and I was turned down because I am Grade B for CBS in Toledo.

Well then I am screwed in Monroe County.
Questions:
What is grade B?
Aren't you folks getting CBS from ch 62, on the dish? Why the quest for national CBS?

My plan was to wait and get D*, get Detroit stations HD on the dish and Toledo HD OTA from my voom antenna. Is this not possible?

(Still waiting to see Green Bay CBS on Voom)

I live in Northern Michigan. My quest for National CBS is due to my local affiliate (WWTV) broadcasting their digital signal at low power. My brother in-law lives in Warren and mocks me with his clip-on dish antenna that scores him all the networks in HD.

if you call and request CBS-HD, and you don't automatically qualify, does Dish file the waiver request, or would I have to do that myself?

Since I will have a dish @ 61.5, I was thinking of checking into it.

I made the same request for CBS HD because the local affilaite doesn't even have a digital channel let alone HD. I was told to fax my request to the DISHNET Network team. I did that this afternoon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts