CEO Time Warner

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Note- this is in the Dish section because he specifically mentions Dish, and because of Chuck's (Mr Ergen to you) remarks on the same subjects.

So Jeff Bewkes CEO of Time Warner made some statements, and seems to me more and more the war drums are finally banging over Sports being what's driving the high cost of subscription TV. “We all know that the reason [prices are] up is the sports fee, it’s not anything else. Half of citizens don’t want that”
Dish, once again has been ahead of the curve on this by years. Right down to Charlie saying he doesn't think as many actually watch the sports as some think. Apparently Time Warner agrees.

He also mentions how Time Warner and Dish have low packages that no one wants. Well duh. They want lower packages with at least some channels they can pick. I happen to think most A La Carte would not be what people think it would be, but to suggest subscribers don't want smaller packages is ridicules when channels won't allow themselves to in packages as the Provider wants.
He then goes on to say how Cord cutting will have no effect on subscription TV. While the reason he gives has some merit, and for other reasons I somewhat agree, I think he is a little to dismissive of the amount of money that either is or could be lost to it. Again, Dish has acknowledged the possible impact of Online programming.

As Solid Signal points out, how ironic that the same CEO who talks (correctly) about sports driving the cost of TV, is the one who insisted their RSN be carried in the lowest tiers in Los Angeles on Direct TV to every subscriber.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/jef...roviders-have-no-reason-to-fear-cord-cutting/

Last edited:
When I had Crime Warner some years ago they had a $5 franchise fee. So before I picked a package and got any equipment I was already in the hole for $5. They nickel and dime you to death. So he needs to look in the mirror and realize they are also part of the problem. They raise their crappy DVR rental prices every year. My parents have them no. I am trying to get them to switch to Dish.

The franchise fee is from the city or town that the sub lives in. They get that money, not the CATV provider....

I stand corrected. All I know is I didn't have that fee when I switched to Direct and I don't now I'm with Dish.

I stand corrected. All I know is I didn't have that fee when I switched to Direct and I don't now I'm with Dish.
Because neither D* or E* have physical presence in cities or towns. This is why the cablecos push the state legislatures to impose a "tax" on satellite services, to try and level the playing field a bit.

I believe Jeff Bewkes will have to eat crow on the cord cutting having no impact statement.The more the rates keep increasing for subscription,the more cord cutters there will be.

My wife and I would probably be one but we love our sports. Plus as of right now I find that Dish gives us really good value for what we pay. The technology with The Hoppers is unmatched and when you add Sling it's even better. Time Warner did nothing but raise rates and give us the same old crap. I don't mind paying a little more every year with Dish because I know they actually care about new technology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)