Chairman of NBC no fan of auto hop

Still comparing apples to oranges... Standard DVR functions don't just outright skip commercials automatically... You still have to manually skip them, meanwhile you're seeing the ads, just in faster motion. Auto Hop blocks them almost completely. Big difference. If it weren't such a big difference, why is everyone making a big deal about it then (on both sides?)

Still comparing apples to oranges... Standard DVR functions don't just outright skip commercials automatically... You still have to manually skip them, meanwhile you're seeing the ads, just in faster motion. Auto Hop blocks them almost completely. Big difference. If it weren't such a big difference, why is everyone making a big deal about it then (on both sides?)

Actually you don't see the ads in fast motion with the skip button. The skip button skips forward 30 seconds at a time which is usually the same length as one commercial. You still don't see the commercial even in fast motion. If you were talking about fast forward you would be correct but almost every DVR has a skip forward button as well.

I don't see any ad whatsoever when I move forward 30 seconds. I am here and then I am there. There is absolutely no difference...... The big deal is that it is easier for me not to haver to press the button at all......

Actually you don't see the ads in fast motion with the skip button. The skip button skips forward 30 seconds at a time which is usually the same length as one commercial. You still don't see the commercial even in fast motion. If you were talking about fast forward you would be correct but almost every DVR has a skip forward button as well.

Actually you still see frames of the commercials which can include logos and whatnot.

Add Fox to the list, 1 day later:

Upfronts 2012: Fox isn't happy about Dish's ad-zapping Auto Hop

"Just because technology gives you the ability to do something, does that mean you should? Not always," Harbert said.

This goes both ways. Just because the technology exists for the networks to add screen bugs and annoying pop-up's etc... doesn't mean they should.

This goes both ways. Just because the technology exists for the networks to add screen bugs and annoying pop-up's etc... doesn't mean they should.

So.. They own the programming and the rights.... They can do what ever they want with it.. just like it's your right to put an advertisement on the side of your house... You may think its a great idea, but it doesnt mean you should, but you have the right to do so if you want.. Nobody can say anything! They can try, but in the end its your home, you do what the heck you want with it.

So.. They own the programming and the rights.... They can do what ever they want with it.. just like it's your right to put an advertisement on the side of your house... You may think its a great idea, but it doesnt mean you should, but you have the right to do so if you want.. Nobody can say anything! They can try, but in the end its your home, you do what the heck you want with it.

And they can put as many ads in their shows as they want. I pay for a subscription to their channels. I will continue to skip their commercials just like I always have whether or not I have auto hop. I like auto hop because it adds convenience. They can say whatever they want about programming and rights but I pay to watch. If they want to make it so we can't skip commercials on their channels I will watch other channels.

Bottom line, If I'm not watching live news or sports I'm not watching commercials and I haven't for years. Auto hop didn't change that.

And they can put as many ads in their shows as they want. I pay for a subscription to their channels. I will continue to skip their commercials just like I always have whether or not I have auto hop. I like auto hop because it adds convenience. They can say whatever they want about programming and rights but I pay to watch. If they want to make it so we can't skip commercials on their channels I will watch other channels.

Bottom line, If I'm not watching live news or sports I'm not watching commercials and I haven't for years. Auto hop didn't change that.

That's fine skip all you want... in the past it was because you had to physically press the fast forward button. Autohop does it for you and that is where it goes too far.
You all cant play both sides, IE I pay so I should have a right to skip, or its free so I shouldn't have to pay. Make up your minds people! Also its your right to watch what ever you want..

K9SAT said:

Zoning ordinances in many localities tend to ban advertising on the side of people's single family homes, so the comparison is truly problematic.

As for network bugs and scrolls and mini ads during programing, annoying, but we always have the option of watching something else or waiting for the DVD if we can't stand them.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

K9SAT said:
That's fine skip all you want... in the past it was because you had to physically press the fast forward button. Autohop does it for you and that is where it goes too far.
You all cant play both sides, IE I pay so I should have a right to skip, or its free so I shouldn't have to pay. Make up your minds people! Also its your right to watch what ever you want..

So the consumers have to pick, we can't have it both ways but the networks get both ways? They get to demand a retransmission consent fee and run a bunch of ads and then dictate that we can't avail ourselves of technology that will allows us to skip those ads? Hypocritical much?

So the consumers have to pick, we can't have it both ways but the networks get both ways? They get to demand a retransmission consent fee and run a bunch of ads and then dictate that we can't avail ourselves of technology that will allows us to skip those ads? Hypocritical much?

Once again they own the rights as its their property the can do what ever they want with it. They made the investment and they can say how when and where they want it viewed. Yes they can double dip and they do! There is nothing you can do about it! Just because you pay to watch that property doesn't mean that you own the right to it what ever you want. Generally you have had that ablity, but there are methods out there that can keep you from recording it all together. The networks can force you to watch commercials and I think they will. If you don't like it, find other content to watch or make your own multimillion dollar library of movies and tv shows.

K9SAT said:
Once again they own the rights as its their property the can do what ever they want with it. They made the investment and they can say how when and where they want it viewed. Yes they can double dip and they do! There is nothing you can do about it! Just because you pay to watch that property doesn't mean that you own the right to it what ever you want. Generally you have had that ablity, but there are methods out there that can keep you from recording it all together. The networks can force you to watch commercials and I think they will. If you don't like it, find other content to watch or make your own multimillion dollar library of movies and tv shows.

If they get to play both sides, then they can't complain when consumers play both sides as well. That was my point. Thank you for making it for me.

And actually, as to your ownership point, as long as I don't rebroadcast the content without consent, put it on public display, or monetarily profit from it without contractual permission (excluding fair use exceptions for simplicity's sake), I can do whatever I want with my personal recordings of these broadcasts. I can re-edit them however it tickles me, I can archive them for future personal consumption, etc. Not that many would feel a need or want to do that, but consumer's rights to this paid for content aren't as flimsy as the media companies sometimes wish it.

If they get to play both sides, then they can't complain when consumers play both sides as well. That was my point. Thank you for making it for me.

And actually, as to your ownership point, as long as I don't rebroadcast the content without consent, put it on public display, or monetarily profit from it without contractual permission (excluding fair use exceptions for simplicity's sake), I can do whatever I want with my personal recordings of these broadcasts. I can re-edit them however it tickles me, I can archive them for future personal consumption, etc. Not that many would feel a need or want to do that, but consumer's rights to this paid for content aren't as flimsy as the media companies sometimes wish it.

But DISH is the one skipping the commercials, as a result I am pretty sure there's no fair use rights there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NBC,CBS and the others can go and die off for all I care. I do not watch any prime time shows except for "Finder" on the local FOX and I watch 15 minutes of local news on NBC nightly. That's it. I find NBC, CBS, FOX and ABC has some if not the worse programming anywhere. they are right up there with all the shopping networks.

But DISH is the one skipping the commercials, as a result I am pretty sure there's no fair use rights there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last time I checked I'm the one choosing to skip the commercials (whether I enable autohop or skip them manually).

But I wasn't really discussing Dish, just responding to Bob's "Just because you pay to watch that property doesn't mean that you own the right to it what ever you want." Consumer rights related to home use of recorded broadcasts aren't as limited as he was making them out to be, and that was my point.

This is all about free publicity as Dish knew networks would cry crocodile tears. The idea as a bargaining chip is a good guess as it is the broadcast networks who have stated they plan to really increase what they charge for retransmission rights as they now feel they can really press the MVPD's. They think they haven't even begun to get the full value of their content. Heaven help us. In the meantime, pinheads like the NBC chairman behave EXACTLY as Dish anticipated and create MORE press and free advertising for Dish. How many people reading such press coverage (which often includes other details of the Hopper system) are saying to themselves, "Hey, that Hopper sounds pretty good, and it can automatically skip commercials. Maybe I should switch to Dish, or at least consider Dish first when jumping MVPD ship"? Quite a few, one would think. So, please whine some more broadcast net execs, and continue to give Dish free advertising that works against Comcast's (part of NBC) offerings to its subscribers. They really aren't so smart sometimes.

With skip fwd/skip back, you are still seeing advertising as it is zooming past it.
No. With FFWD/RWD, you see the ads as you zoom past. With skip, you "hop" past in 30 sec increments, not seeing what you've passed.

But, I do agree that Auto-hop is different than skip, in that its only purpose is for viewers to not view commercials.

No. With FFWD/RWD, you see the ads as you zoom past. With skip, you "hop" past in 30 sec increments, not seeing what you've passed.

But, I do agree that Auto-hop is different than skip, in that its only purpose is for viewers to not view commercials.

Except that most commercial breaks are longer than 30 seconds. Most of the time I have to hit skip fwd about 7 times, so that's 3.5 minutes of commercials. Every time I have to skip again I can see part of a commercial.

skip a timer and have it record at a later time automatically

So I have a dilemma...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts