Changing Transponders

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

animalhouse

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Morgan County, West Virginia
I have a ViP 211 and receive signals from 61.5/110/119. On various occasions I have done a signal check on transponders and have noticed that the signal strength is greater on a transponder other than the one selected. Is there anyway to select the transponder with the higher signal strength? I've tried on various occasions and every time I went back to check, it was back on the original transponder. :(

animalhouse said:
I have a ViP 211 and receive signals from 61.5/110/119. On various occasions I have done a signal check on transponders and have noticed that the signal strength is greater on a transponder other than the one selected. Is there anyway to select the transponder with the higher signal strength? I've tried on various occasions and every time I went back to check, it was back on the original transponder. :(
When you go to the POINT DISH screen the transponder displayed is the one on which the programming you were last watching is carried. A specific channel is transmitted on a unique transponder. (Sometimes it may be carried on transponders on two different sattellites.)

I get it. Trying to change transponders to get a better signal for a particular channel is futile because that particular channel is being transmitted on that transponder.

So why the wide disparity in signal strength between transponders on the same satellite? I would think that the signal strength would be pretty close to the same on all transponders (depending on whether it was a spot beam or other).

Thanks

animalhouse said:
I get it. Trying to change transponders to get a better signal for a particular channel is futile because that particular channel is being transmitted on that transponder.

So why the wide disparity in signal strength between transponders on the same satellite? I would think that the signal strength would be pretty close to the same on all transponders (depending on whether it was a spot beam or other).

Thanks
This is because some of the transponders are on double strength. Also even in conus there are slight variations in transponder signals within the geographical footprint.

So long as the signal strength on all transponders is %55 or higher the pq and audio will be exactly the same at %55 as it would be at %125, pq and audio are effected once the signal gets below %50 on 110, 119,148 and 61.5.

With FSS birds its a little more vague as the average max signal tends to be %80 - %100, the low end where the signal drops out at is %35.

The worst sat in service right now is the 129, the low end seems to be %55 and below that it drops out. If your in the western half of the country expect to loose signal altogether in the evenings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts