Channel 188 GMC Renamed UP

dennispap

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 9, 2007
Hammond, La.
I see in my guide channel 188 GMC Gospel Music Channel is renamed UP (Uplifting Entertainment). I don't see this weeks uplink report yet. I'm sure it will be on it.

When did this channel launch and did it mostly air Southern Gospel, Contemporary Christian, or a mix of Christian music (videos, concerts - I assume) in its early years? At least the channel has realized it should rename to reflect its core programming, since I've seen very little music in the short year or so I've had the channel. I wonder when MTV will rename itself :D

I see in my guide channel 188 GMC Gospel Music Channel is renamed UP (Uplifting Entertainment). I don't see this weeks uplink report yet. I'm sure it will be on it.

I noticed the rename the night before when watching 227 when I saw the logo.

It should be since I saw the uplink on the other forum although it looks messy with coding issues.

I think this channel had already changed formats for the most part as they had been airing more "family" or innocuous TV movies and TV shows for quite some time. The name change is finally reflecting the content. Something like CLOO now airing stupid 70's sit coms like Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley, etc. Obviously they are testing the waters, but is has nothing to do with it's supposed mystery content offerings.

didnt G4 change names too? ( It is supposed to)
Looks like it will be Sept 23
In December 2012, NBCUniversal inked a brand licensing deal with Hearst Corporation, the owner of Esquire magazine, to turn G4 into Esquire Network, which will air shows aimed at a metrosexual audience about travel, cooking, fashion and non-sports related male programming, including the addition of acquired and archive NBCU content such as Party Down, Parks and Recreation, and week-delayed episodes of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.[32][33][34] The rebranding was scheduled to take place on April 22, 2013,[33] but was moved to a date in summer not yet specified on April 15, 2013, as network GM Adam Stotsky stated the rebranding was moved up in order to have a broader original series slate to launch with than would have been available for the April launch. Stotsky has also confirmed that a new season of American Ninja Warrior will be on the network in the summer.[34] All promotional advertising for G4, outside of spare "up next" promos for the network's daily schedule, was discontinued weeks before the aborted April launch. In May 2013, the launch date was pushed to September 23, 2013, with its first program being an 80th Anniversary special for Esquire.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G4_(TV_channel)

Last edited:
To answer an earlier question, GMC was a rare channel that included virtually all types of Christian music in its video flow programming. Everything from rock to country to southern gospel and urban gospel. The slogan used to unite these disparate formats was "It's All Gospel!"

They still have some select scheduled blocks of video flow even as "UP" - "Uplifting Urban" & "Uplifting Pop" - these are primarily carried from 6 or 7 till 9 or 10 AM weekdays. The Urban section includes such artists as Mary Mary, Out of Eden, Kirk Franklin, etc. The Pop section is broader and plays what in radio would be called Christian AC, the same music heard on many "K-Love" and "Fish" stations nationwide.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Ziff Davis Network, then ZDTV, then Tech TV, then G4 and soon Esquire network.

Esquire is being heavily promoted by Hearts channels. I have seen all sorts of commercials about it specifically promoting Jimmy Fallon reruns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)