channel colors and guide size question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jdvaughn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
A couple quick questions for you experts here...

Just bought a new LED, Smart, 3D, tv. Love the TV, but in trying to "tweak" the picture, it looks awesome, but we notice on some channels the colors are more "orangey" is the only way to say it. It really depends on the channel, even between HD channels. The commercials look fine, but the shows are orangeish...

Does anyone know why this happens and if there's any way to make it more consistent?

Also, with this new TV, I can't get the guide to fill the whole screen. There is extra blank space to the right and the bottom of the guide. It doesn't stretch to fit. I have the settings right I think... 16:9 in the dish setup and the tv is set right. I remember having this problem on another tv in the past and can't remember how I fixed it.

thanks for any help,

JD

The color difference between commercials and programs on the same channel are not an issue with your 722. Many network dramas seem to be filmed to look "warm" which can look a little more orange. Your TV may exaggerate the "oranges". There is a setting on many TVs that can "warm" or "cool" the picture at the press of a button. It may be called "warm/normal/cool" lighting conditions, Day/night, excetera. "Cool" makes things look a little bluer.

As to the alignment of the guide that is a different story. The guide on my 622 has a blue background and the grid doesn't make it to the right tenth of the screen set in the 3 hour mode with picture. That is just the way its designed.

6500k tends to look "red/orange" to a lot of people but in actuality it's far more accurate than what most monitors/TVs are set to. Another thing, a lot of TVs tend to have exaggerated brightness/color/contrast by default to make things more "dynamic" but it looks totally unnatural. That can also make colors look "off."

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

ok, thanks guys for the answers.... ours is a 55" Panasonic, and I did change settings in the picture area to tweak it. It's just annoying cause we'll be watching something and all the colors are perfect and the picture looks awesome, then on another channel, the people are more orange or darker. It seems like certain channels are worse for sure...

On our old 55" sony projection tv, the guide did stretch to fill the screen (and without stretching it with the dish remote) so I thought that was weird....

ok, thanks guys for the answers.... ours is a 55" Panasonic, and I did change settings in the picture area to tweak it. It's just annoying cause we'll be watching something and all the colors are perfect and the picture looks awesome, then on another channel, the people are more orange or darker. It seems like certain channels are worse for sure...

On our old 55" sony projection tv, the guide did stretch to fill the screen (and without stretching it with the dish remote) so I thought that was weird....
There are no basic picture standards anymore. Producers of shows and commercials go all over the board in terms of color saturation, hue, contrast, etc. It is frustrating for sure...but the blame goes to those sitting in color control rooms.

if it's a Vizio, I set ours to the vivid mode, looks fantastic on our brand new 42" LED smart tv...

That is generally considered the least accurate color palette. It is meant for showrooms.

The warm palette is considered by calibrators to be the most accurate.

It does cause a problem with my DLP in that it drives the red LED very hard--replaced it once.
To judge, the blue LED has 6 cooling fins, the green 14, and the red 28--I remembered less.

-Ken

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts