Channel Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

combsisthebest

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi, I am a new DISH Network customer. My family is currently subscribed to the America's Top 180 plan. However, I noticed that we do not get NBC/CBS/ABC/UPN/WB/PBS. I understood that I wouldn't get local channels, but I'd think that these channels would be included. Is it possible to get these channels from DISH? If so, how much more would I be charged per month? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

If you have AT60 or higher (and you have AT180) then locals are only $5/month. Some receivers have the capability to receive free OTAs with an antenna so keep that in mind especially if you're interested in HD locals. You haven't stated which city you live in or what receiver model you have.

The receiver I have is a DVR, and it says 625. Everything was just installed on Wednesday. I live in Northern California, and my nearest locals would probably be San Francisco about 400 miles away.

With the model 625 you can connect to an (outdoor perferred) OTA antenna and receive but not record (or any other DVR functions, pause, FF, REW, etc). You won't get guide data for your near by OTA. Also you won't receive digital OTA (example HD) channels with that unit.

You may subscribe to dish locals ($5/month), assuming you get San Fran you would receive all major networks in which you would have full DVR function and guide info. You would need a wing dish at 148 if you want also some extra spanish, religious, independant and additional PBS channels but all other major networks that you quoted are off the main satellite.

combsisthebest said:
The receiver I have is a DVR, and it says 625. Everything was just installed on Wednesday. I live in Northern California, and my nearest locals would probably be San Francisco about 400 miles away.

If you live near the California/Oregon border you may fall into the Medford, Oregon DMA. If that is the case you will need a second dish pointed at the 148 satellite to get locals. Check out the link below to see what you qualify for.

https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/prepAddress.do

NightRyder

What I've had to do is order the Superstations (WPIX, etc.) for WB and UPN. Then I had to request something called a waiver for Distant Networks (which takes 30-45 days) that way I'll pay $6 for ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX out of Los Angeles.

Oddly the Distant Waiver for CBS and FOX has been declined. I have no clue why, but now I can't get CBS or FOX on satellite. Does anyone know why it would be declined?

combsisthebest said:
Oddly the Distant Waiver for CBS and FOX has been declined. I have no clue why, but now I can't get CBS or FOX on satellite. Does anyone know why it would be declined?
A lot of stations decline by policy. Unfortunately, that's the nature of the system.

Thank you. It just sucks because now I can't get clear CBS, FOX, etc. I have another question too. If I get an antenna and plug it into our DVR receiver will the second TV also be able to use it?

combsisthebest said:
Thank you. It just sucks because now I can't get clear CBS, FOX, etc. I have another question too. If I get an antenna and plug it into our DVR receiver will the second TV also be able to use it?
The 625 will only allow TV1 use of the OTA tuner and not TV2. Also you can't record OTA programs or use any of the DVR functions. You can connect TV2 to the OTA using an A/B switch where TV2 gets either the 625 or direct connect to your antenna. You can also run two separate coax lines if TV2 has two tuners or a VCR or something because the switch in the living room may not be very convenient.

Okay, I'm a little confused (sorry!). If I run two different lines where would the second line plug into for TV2. Currently there's a line that I assume comes from the satellite into the VCR, then another line that goes to the TV. Sorry I'm a newbie with the satellite stuff. :)

Dual method: I would take the OTA antenna and send it to a coupler or distribution amp (if you want four outputs). One goes to the 625 (living room) and another to a VCR installed at the same location as TV2. Use the composite video or s-video output (also L/R audio) of the VCR to TV2.

For the satellite side the installer will install two RG6 coax from the dish to the 625. Then use the TV2 (UHF) output to TV2 antenna's input. Hence two coax lines needed from living room to TV2 location.

When using TV2 you'll use its built-in tuner chan 61 (or whatever channel you configure the 625) to view satellite programs. To view OTA on TV2 change it to video mode and use the VCR's tuner to tune/record. Being that the dish remote is multi-functional you may be able to program that for sat, tv and vcr else you'll use the individual remotes.

Note: using this method TV1 can view OTA but not use any DVR functions for OTA. If you also want recording of OTA for TV1 location you'll need another VCR (or DVD recorder with TV tuner). In that case connect your OTA antenna to the VCR instead and use channel 3 out to the 625 if you wish (but now the living room VCR selects the channels which is the same method that TV2 uses).

TV2 would be able to record OTA independently (because it has its own VCR attached) while also being able to record a satellite from the 625.

The switch method: is cheaper and easier but does not allow the same degree of independence. Same as in the first example your OTA antenna goes through a coupler one to the 625 but the other to the "B" input of a coax switch. The TV2 (UHF) output of the 625 goes to the "A" input of the switch. Now TV2 can have either sat from the 625 or OTA using the switch in the living room. Only one coax from living room to TV2 is needed but living room controls the source of TV2.

You can also add VCR capabilities into this situation. Connect the OTA antenna to the VCR first then using RF (chan 3) output from the VCR (in the living room) to the coupler. Everything else remains the same as I described in the switch method. Again the switch method is cheaper but everything is initially controlled in the living room. Advantage one coax from living room to TV2 and one VCR (optional) needed to record all OTA for TV1 and TV2.

Note: When using the master VCR for the antenna source the VCR either sends out via chan 3/4 or can allow passthru if off or by the TV/VCR mode button. Just something extra to keep in mind and both the 625 and TV2 are affected in the same way. You can also view pre-recorded tapes to the 625 and TV2 locations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)