Channels that are Truly HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

geekboy2000

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Philly Suburbs, PA
I know which channels are indicated as being HD on the EPG, but:

I just upgraded from a 32" Olevia 720p TV to a Samsung LN-T4665F 1080P. I find, as expected, that 1080P Blu-ray discs are stunning. Likewise HDNet, UniHD, Soundstage, and a number of others are phenomenal looking. OTOH, Discovery, and a few others indicated as being HD, look to be of far less quality than the other channels, even though they are supposed to be HD. Interesting thing is that some of those same (lesser quality) channels, look the same way on my friend's Samsung via Comcast cable. So, I'm starting to feel like I have only a handful of channels that really blow me away. On the smaller screen, I really didn't notice much of a difference. Thanks!

Mark

Mark:

You are comparing true HD shows with shows that were originally SD then upconverted. Most but not all of those shows are several years old.

The Discovery suite of channels do this alot but not all of the shows on these channels look too bad. At least these channels just crop the picture a little. Thats much better than forced stretch-o-vision. TBS is the worst.

Over the last few years more and more shows made the switch to HD, but not all of them yet. HD is still a baby and it will grow. The providers and channels know there is a growing audience of HD enthusiasts who can tell if it's real HD or not. They know they need to get on the ball. But they are not going to stop showing older shows either.

The other major factor is the channels vertical resolution 720p vs 1080i. With either they will never look as stunning as full detail BluRay at 1080p.

I agree though. I've seen programs on DHD that *are* in HD and noticed that the quality is just.... not the same.

A good example is Planet Earth. I have no doubt that it looks better on HDT than DHD.

I agree that TBS is horrible. Everything is in stretch-o-vision, even shows and movies that have widescreen content. I tried to watch some movies and shows and just had to stop. No more TBS for me till they fix that.

Don't forget that some of the Disc* shows are produced by British studios in 15x9 HD, so there will be some slight pillarboxing on those shows. I agree though, HD Theater tends to have better visual quality.

There are a few channels which are 100% HD

HD Theater
Universal HD
HDNet & HDNet Movies
Food & HGTV
MHD
Voom Channels

There are others which are Mostly HD or at least make a decent effort.

ESPN & ESPN2
Discovery, Animal, TLC, Science
Big10
Premiums (HBO, SHO, MAX, Starz)
and the Broadcast Networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, & NBC ...)

The rest are HD when they can justify it.

History, A&E
National Geo
NFL, NHL, NBA, VS
TNT

Then there is TBS-HD. Which aside from a week or two in Sept does not show any HD, and even take SD versions of HD shows and upconvert that. Just awful.

What about Dolby with the HD channels? My receiver says it's dolby but watching Battle Star Galactica on Saturday it was only broadcasting stereo. My receiver can 'fake' surround sound but does it depend on the content? Some channels really do dolby well, others are lame.

What about Dolby with the HD channels? My receiver says it's dolby but watching Battle Star Galactica on Saturday it was only broadcasting stereo. My receiver can 'fake' surround sound but does it depend on the content? Some channels really do dolby well, others are lame.

It's still Dolby, just two channel rather than 5.1. All depends on the channel and program as far as what you will get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)