Charcuterie

A few things: This craft seems like much more of a science. Ingredients are weighed and different from what you'll probably find in your local store. Nitrite is different from Nitrate and all mold isn't bad. Temperature control and humidity is also of importance.

Over the weekend, I purchased several duck legs/thighs and am currently doing a confit. (1 day to cure in salt, followed by a 10-12 hour low and slow cook in fat, followed by a quick crisp up in the oven prior to eating).

I've also purchased two whole pork bellies. I want to make my own bacon and prosciutto.

This afternoon, I'm paying the local duck farmer another visit to pick up some duck breasts for a duck prosciutto that is supposed to be fairly easy for beginners. Here's a look at what the final duck prosciutto should look like.......

6a00d83451b42169e201127974d2ca28a4-800wi.jpg

6a00d83451b42169e201116900aa55970c-800wi.jpg

Ruhlmanns book is awesome. I have used his ratios for several recipes. Ive been meaning to buy a small fridge so I can do some of the temperatute controlled stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

If you're into buying local, preserving is a good way to eat all year round. The local duck farmer sells off all it's duck by November and they won't have duck again until spring.

We've also pickled and canned beets, pickles and fruit preserves this year. But that's a whole different topic.

I don't know how I missed this.

I make venison summer sausage, brats, and jerky. I'd like to try some hard salami and I'll have to look into that book.

I love duck done this way. How did it turn out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts