Charlie Approaches DIRECTV about a Merger.

I'm not for it.....less choice, less competition makes it more expensive for everyone. With Verizon/FIOS not expanding right now, it would leave many people like me with only 2 choices and for those in rural areas, only 1.

But I agree with Scott......it's going to happen at some point.

Interesting to think about and discuss, but I am not for it at all. I have been able to keep my sub price down over the past few years by playing one off of the other. With one combined company, many will be left without a choice.

Now I do have a local low rent cable company (no HD, no DVR offerings, at least at this time), but if it came to them for tv, Id probably just go OTA and streaming only.

Very interesting email I just got from one member...

I don't know if its true or not but he says that both companies newer receivers have been built with dual provider support in mind and have been made this way for a while now. To me this means (and I have asked for classification) that if something were to happen that our existing equipment could be made to work with the other provider with a software upgrade and a new smart card.

Of course if that were to happen I would expect it to happen over time and not an overnight type of thing. But I guess if you think about it it makes since since the boxes are just looking for a signal... its up to the software on the boxes to know who and what to use and what to ignore.

But since CBS is the top ranked network, many of those 34 million customers go to where they can get CBS.

Look at what happened when Time Warner Cable dropped CBS in NYC last year. How many customers did TWC lose in NY?

That furthers my point Scott,I would gather that at least half of those 34 million give or take,wouldn't have an alternate choice to get CBS.And,I'm not just talking about CBS ota,I'm talking about all the channels that CBS owns,much like the Disney/ESPN/ABC deal that was just completed.I'm sure the FCC or whomever decides these deals will take a close look at that.

The government broke up ATT into several regional companies. Now ATT has bought up most of the regional Bells and now is back where it started. ???????????????????????????

Now here is a scary thought,one sat provider,with what 34 million subscribers,give or take.Contract comes up for CBS as an example,CBS demands outrageous fees,sat company balks,now 34 million customers have no CBS.
The other side of that coin is that CBS loses the revenue of 34 million viewer, both in retrans fees, and lost ad revenue.

I can see a cooperation of equipment, but a flat out merger would seem difficult. I have no idea how the contracts for media rights would be effected.
The government broke up ATT into several regional companies. Now ATT has bought up most of the regional Bells and now is back where it started. ???????????????????????????
Actually SBC did... and when they gobbled AT&T, they used the AT&T banner for the corporation. When I moved to Ohio, I first had Ameritech, then SBC, then AT&T. I didn't actually change providers.

Actually Southwestern Bell, one of the baby bells bought up all all of it neighbors and eventually bought AT&T.

For the love of God, please tell me there's a provision in the ESPN/Disney contract for merger......

I'm all for it too (and the Comcast/Time Warner merger), right after I cut the cord.

The other side of that coin is that CBS loses the revenue of 34 million viewer, both in retrans fees, and lost ad revenue.

Hasn't stopped Les in the past,and I don't think a merger will in the future.

I don't know if its true or not but he says that both companies newer receivers have been built with dual provider support in mind and have been made this way for a while now. To me this means (and I have asked for classification) that if something were to happen that our existing equipment could be made to work with the other provider with a software upgrade and a new smart card.

Of course if that were to happen I would expect it to happen over time and not an overnight type of thing. But I guess if you think about it it makes since since the boxes are just looking for a signal... its up to the software on the boxes to know who and what to use and what to ignore.

I have been saying this all along but nobody listens!! :D You want DirecTV to be in charge of this. Otherwise if you a DirecTV employee now, expect a 50 percent paycut if Charlie is in control! The benefits of a merger are great, now its a matter of convincing the regulatory people that cord cutting due to Netflix, internet video and Uverse / Fiber competition is enough to allow a merger. Rural areas are going to suffer. While their voice may be loud, it wont be enough as the representation is with the population base where 99 percent has sufficient competition between comcast (cable) and Uverse (Telcos).

Didn't you post years ago that Dish receivers, perhaps starting with the ViP series, were able to receive D* signals, given the correct, super duper smart card?

This would facilitate setting up a company that would provide locals to both companies, and the subsequent reduction of duplication of signals. Might progress from there to include premiums, etc.

That furthers my point Scott,I would gather that at least half of those 34 million give or take,wouldn't have an alternate choice to get CBS.And,I'm not just talking about CBS ota,I'm talking about all the channels that CBS owns,much like the Disney/ESPN/ABC deal that was just completed.I'm sure the FCC or whomever decides these deals will take a close look at that.

The solution is simple, make a law forcing programmers to provide programming to subs during disputes.. Call it a no drop law. Once the financials gets worked out, then they can backdate the contract.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)