Charlie Approaches DIRECTV about a Merger.

US Channel Owned by Time Warner

HBO
Cinemax
truTV
TBS
TNT
TCM
WPCH
Cartoon Network
Adult Swim
Boomerang
CNN
HLN
Airport Network

(Plus they own all NASCAR Races, NCAA.COM, PGA.COM, NBA.COM, NBA.TV, NBA League Pass, WNBA.COM)

On the Comcast Side:

NBC
TCN
CSN Mid-Atlantic
CSN Philadelphia
CSN Chicago
CSN Washington
CSN Northwest
CSN New England
CSN Bay Area
E! Entertainment
NBCSN
Golf Channel
ExcercizeTV
MLB Network
Sportnet New York
Comcast Sports Southeast
NHL Network
TV One
PBS Kids / Sprout
FEARnet
SyFy
Chiller
Cloo
USA Network
Universal HD
Bravo
Esquire Network
Oxygen
TV One
Telemundo
Mun2
CNBC
MSNBC
The Weather Channel

Time Warner and Time Warner cable have been separate for a few years now and only have the same name. Time Warner Cable owns a few sports networks and a few local cable channels.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

My concern would be, what are all the pissed of people who switch back and forth every two years, when their contracts are up, going to do. Where will they go?
That's part of the reason it may not be allowed. People try and use this same argument against the Comcast and TWC merger, but it's simply not applicable. We have TWC available here. If I get pissed at them, I can't switch to Comcast (or any cable company).

No matter the math, Disney will still want the same amount of money every month. So, you're just saying they should keep the game the same as it is now. Dish can't unilaterally decide a la carte on its' own.

Where did you get the idea that I said keep the game the same, what do you think everyone clamoring for ala-carte is about. That will change the game, for good or bad, each channel will have to survive on what the consumers perceived value of it is and not what the corporate mother thinks they should get for their entire lineup. If they weren't so greedy watering down their product and making a hundred niche channels so they can get even more ad revenue, they probably wouldn't be as disliked by consumers as they are.

Just making 2 big companies out of 4 isn't going to do a lot for the consumer. These big companies have lost sight that what makes them successful and will keep making them successful are the public consumers. When the public finally says enough is enough, the media groups will be wondering what happened while they are being liquidated for pennies on the dollar (or yen)

Yes I do feel the need to insult you,you insult me by making such asinine statements.Your reality is distorted.

Where is that ignore button?

What that a free market place exists! If anyone doesn't like the facts that mergers happen all the time they are free to create their own business or coop! I am sorry if you get the short end of the stick, but it is what it is and you can either move to a place where you can get service or create your own service, or wait until another provider comes. What did people do when TV wasn't around and they lived in rural areas back in the day? People also said Newton was crazy and look at his theory's! They still are in existence as fact today! I understand where you might be upset that you loose choices but the fact is the money made is where the people are, and that isnt in Rural areas.

There is a reason why COMCAST is number one. They are in the city's and suburbs where the population base is. Not in small town Montana. It it wasn't for government paying for it rural areas would not have power at all. If you want a government run satellite service, go ahead and lobby for it. Then don't complain when it gets shut down like NASA did when the budget dont get approved. While you may not like it, its an unfortunate reality.

You want DirecTV to be in charge of this. Otherwise if you a DirecTV employee now, expect a 50 percent paycut if Charlie is in control!
Then as consumers, if it happens, we should want Charlie in control of that aspect. Perhaps it would give us lower prices. If the employees do not like it, too bad. Nobody is forcing them to work there....

You choose to live there. No one forces you to live in the sticks.

boy a mile out of town is now "the sticks"......I hope you dont live a mile out of the city limits.

did I choose to live here? damn right I did
I CHOSE to live in an area where my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile down the road....not right on top of me
I CHOSE to live in an area where there is no HOA telling me I cant paint my house a specific color or put up a TV antenna (I remember you saying you moved and there is a HOA where you are).

Now then I guess its my fault when both phone companies in town (Centurylink and Mid-Rivers) said they were adding faster speeds because people are moving out of town a mile or so and we're a few years later and still nothing new on that. Max speed here is still 1.5MB down
Cable (Mid Rivers) isnt going to run lines to the house. They've been saying that for years even though folks are building houses down the road. And even if they did the internet is still DSL as that is how they do it.

So that is why I have Directv as my provider...because even if they did gave cable lines out here the service sucks rocks. They have less HD, buggy equipment, and higher prices.

If Dish "merged" with Directv that would give alot of folks (not just us "backwoods hillbilly hicks" :rolleyes:) limited options.

The solution is simple, make a law forcing programmers to provide programming to subs during disputes.. Call it a no drop law. Once the financials gets worked out, then they can backdate the contract.

That is a horrible idea IMO, for reasons that probably are pit worthy.

I don't know what k9sat would do if cities suddenly collapsed.And you ain't using my outhouse,unless you leave a quarter!:D

It's amazing to me how a merger discussion got so distorted.

Anyway,I still say this merger is a bad idea.You think customer service is bad,middling,or decent,now,wait until a merger happens.It will go downhill from there really quick.Most of us know how well the sirius/xm merger did for consumers,I know how well ATT merging,or buying out Bellsouth did here,straight into the crapper.The larger a company gets the worse customer service gets,and the higher prices go.

Thanks to everyone who called into the Radio Show tonight!

Good to speak to you guys! NavyChop, Bluegrass (not what I expected Bluegrass to sound like) :) And K9SAT!

What that a free market place exists! If anyone doesn't like the facts that mergers happen all the time they are free to create their own business or coop! I am sorry if you get the short end of the stick, but it is what it is and you can either move to a place where you can get service or create your own service, or wait until another provider comes. What did people do when TV wasn't around and they lived in rural areas back in the day? People also said Newton was crazy and look at his theory's! They still are in existence as fact today! I understand where you might be upset that you loose choices but the fact is the money made is where the people are, and that isnt in Rural areas.

There is a reason why COMCAST is number one. They are in the city's and suburbs where the population base is. Not in small town Montana. It it wasn't for government paying for it rural areas would not have power at all. If you want a government run satellite service, go ahead and lobby for it. Then don't complain when it gets shut down like NASA did when the budget dont get approved. While you may not like it, its an unfortunate reality.

I wonder how all those people in the Cities would eat if the people in the rural areas didn't farm and ranch to provide all that food. I guess I missed all that corn growing and cattle grazing in Central Park. :rolleyes:

What if Directv/Dish and T-mobile were to merge, just a question? Would Dish's recent purchase of spectrum benefit T-mobile in any way and would it help Charlie to build out his phone service in any way. The reason I ask is because, I left Sprint recently for T-mobile and I have seen talk of Sprint trying to acquire T-mobile, I loathe Sprint. I believe that both Dish and Directv could benefit from being involved with one of the cell providers because there product would become available to more eyes, if they could marry all of their technology together. Just a thought!

Then as consumers, if it happens, we should want Charlie in control of that aspect. Perhaps it would give us lower prices. If the employees do not like it, too bad. Nobody is forcing them to work there....

So you want you local installer not only working for nothing but collecting food stamps too! Right...... It's not the satellite company's making all of the money its the programmers is where the cost is at.

boy a mile out of town is now "the sticks"......I hope you dont live a mile out of the city limits.

did I choose to live here? damn right I did
I CHOSE to live in an area where my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile down the road....not right on top of me
I CHOSE to live in an area where there is no HOA telling me I cant paint my house a specific color or put up a TV antenna (I remember you saying you moved and there is a HOA where you are).

Now then I guess its my fault when both phone companies in town (Centurylink and Mid-Rivers) said they were adding faster speeds because people are moving out of town a mile or so and we're a few years later and still nothing new on that. Max speed here is still 1.5MB down
Cable (Mid Rivers) isnt going to run lines to the house. They've been saying that for years even though folks are building houses down the road. And even if they did the internet is still DSL as that is how they do it.

So that is why I have Directv as my provider...because even if they did gave cable lines out here the service sucks rocks. They have less HD, buggy equipment, and higher prices.

If Dish "merged" with Directv that would give alot of folks (not just us "backwoods hillbilly hicks" :rolleyes:) limited options.

I live a mile out of town (Tucson) and have access to fiber optic high speed internet, Cox cable and other related wireless services. I live in a remote area, granted its in a planned subdivision. It's most likely that Centry link made a determination that providing a better service to your area isn't profitable so they havent done it. I also like how you assume that I assume you all are hillbilly hicks. That's not the case. I am just stating what is going to happen and the fact while rural areas are hurt, it is fact that the population base is where the majority of the cash is. Everyone's situation is different, but if your local phone company's don't provide sufficient service for you then do something about it! Go start your own or stop complaining because your service sucks! If Dish died as a company today what would you do? There is nothing you could do! While you may feel safe having a "saftey net" by having a 2nd choice. What happens if that choice goes away not due to a merger but to the company going bankrupt and stopping service like Rainbow did. What would you do then?

I don't know what k9sat would do if cities suddenly collapsed.And you ain't using my outhouse,unless you leave a quarter!:D

It's amazing to me how a merger discussion got so distorted.

Anyway,I still say this merger is a bad idea.You think customer service is bad,middling,or decent,now,wait until a merger happens.It will go downhill from there really quick.Most of us know how well the sirius/xm merger did for consumers,I know how well ATT merging,or buying out Bellsouth did here,straight into the crapper.The larger a company gets the worse customer service gets,and the higher prices go.

I'll pay you a buck! How about that! :D It's not that its distorted, I am tired of people using the rural argument when there are plenty of areas to get service. Everybody has choices and if a provider goes away and you dont like that, that is the risk you took when you decided to buy where you bought. Hell you still can get C band programming!

Another reason as a consumer I am against the merger is look at what happened to SIriusXM.

I do not think it would be quite that bad. After all D*E* will still have to compete with cable in most areas. So, they will have to be at least as competitive as cable...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)