Charlie downplays DirecTV's 100 HD channels

Scott,

You should just smile and thank me for the content of your article. What you wrote, you got from me! A thank you would be in order. But, once again, how could you thank the likes of me? I must say though, you did listen and you did learn. Next time, please post my name along with my thoughts. I'd appreciate it.

Welcome to the BIG BOYS!
I didn't get crap from you.

In fact this is what I said a few weeks ago (almost word for word)over at AVS

Not this man. I am far more interested in movies in HD, nature shows in HD, but sports is not even in my top 50. Maybe I need to turn in my man card. :)

I am as big of a sports nut there is, but when it comes to this discussion, I'm with you. Why do I care about everyone wanting their Regional Sports networks that have NO impact on me at all. If it's not national, then who gives a *bleep*. Movies and national shows are always national, so I definitely give them priority.

Now if we're talking about FSC, Setanta, or any other NATIONAL SPORTS HD channels, then I'd kill for that.

I ack that D* has been stealing the thunder and leading the HD revolution of 2007, even if at the time of this writing they are in last place and have been for 2+ years.

I'm still surprised that with the capacity of FiOS that Verizon did not take this role. They could have touted hundreds of HD channels (and with their Fiber who would doubt them). But they didn't. In fact they have been eriely quiet about the HD reaction to D*.

But with that said, Scott was correct (not that this was reading tea leaves, its been out there for all to see) that D* has taken the lead in driving HD home. We will still have to see whether they can actually get more channels on the air than anyone else and keep ahead in order to solidify their "The Leader in HDTV" crown.

Charlie likes the crown he appears to want to keep it longer, so with that, he looks to be making efforts to force D* to "work for it" to take that away from him.

Considering that we here get giddy over 4 new HD channels per year, this 2nd half is going to be a riot with formidable additions to our lineups. .... and it all starts Wednesday (eh hem, with Charlie taking the first shot ;D )

Because of the channels being added on Wednesday and because of the LACK of HD on these new channels being launched on Wednesday, I am not looking forward to Wednesday. :)

Because of the channels being added on Wednesday and because of the LACK of HD on these new channels being launched on Wednesday, I am not looking forward to Wednesday. :)

You mean the rest of us should not be excited also?? I have looked on discovery websites and have seen nothing about a hd launch. Like Scott said. Must not have much hd content.

But you are looking forward to Sept. 15th when D* begins to add these same channels? How many part-time HD "National" channels does D* plan to add to reach their mythical 100?

I am, but then again I already know what to expect, so I'm not going to be disappointed. It's going to be like this for the foreseeable future. D* may be helping drive the creation of HD channels, but HD content is another matter.

D* - Up to100 HD Channels! *

*With minimal real HD content

<sigh> :)

NightRyder

This sounds a lot like my column at MultiChannel.COM today.

The way I see it, DirecTV gave the INDUSTRY a swift kick in the pants. And now the entire industry is rushing to add HD.

No matter if your a cable fan, DirecTV fan or Dish Network fan, this is more HDTV for everyone. :)

Actually, you were agreeing with what I've been saying;)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-discussions/94684-future-hd-dish-2.html#post874218
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/97521-punch-counterpunch-2.html#post908070

Baby steps, while the content may not be there now more will come as time passes. I'd look at it this way, you'd now be getting DVD quality vs. VHS on these channels with HD-DVD/BD quality coming down the line.

I am looking forward to September 15th (or whenever DirecTV launches the new channels) because it will be the day someone releases the "Pause Button" that has been on DirecTV for the past few years.

With DirecTV back "in the game" again it adds compition back to the market that has been missing for a long long time. With compition all multichannel companies will need to work harder, which in turn will be good for all consumers no matter who you have as your cable or satellite company. :)

Charlie is just blowing smoke AGAIN. As already mentioned in this thread - for him to talk about quality (and use VOOM as an example) is absurd IMHO.

And he mentions having 50 HD channels - I thought it was actually in the high 30's.

There's your answer though - DISH isn't going to have anywhere near the 100 HD channels that DirecTV will have by EOY. He gave his number - 50.

And what does he care about what the channels show in HD? - he (just like all the other providers) has well over 100 SD channels that most don't care about (and that I am sure he doesn't watch either).

All just proving as Scott says - D* is the HD leader.

Not this man. I am far more interested in movies in HD, nature shows in HD, but sports is not even in my top 50. Maybe I need to turn in my man card. :)

I 100% agree, if I wanted sports I would have gotten D*..

I prefer the premiums like Starz, HBO, Max, TMC, etc.. other HD channels like UHD, TNTHD, DiscoveryHD, RaveHD, FoodHD, HGTVHD, etc keep my attention when there's nothing good on.. Those are the channels I watch or generally scroll through.. after that I go to the SD channels (if there's nothing else on) like sci-fi (I'm disappointed to hear dresden files was canceled), the discoveries, animal planet, cartoon network, boom, etc..

As you can tell sports not on my radar.. plus the wife looks at me funny when I do turn espnhd on to see how my fantasy team is doing.. :p

Charlie is just blowing smoke AGAIN. As already mentioned in this thread - for him to talk about quality (and use VOOM as an example) is absurd IMHO.

And he mentions having 50 HD channels - I thought it was actually in the high 30's.

There's your answer though - DISH isn't going to have anywhere near the 100 HD channels that DirecTV will have by EOY. He gave his number - 50.

And what does he care about what the channels show in HD? - he (just like all the other providers) has well over 100 SD channels that most don't care about (and that I am sure he doesn't watch either).

All just proving as Scott says - D* is the HD leader.

The proceeding Bull Sh*t was brought to you by D* marketing department. We now return you intelligent discussion of this topic. :rolleyes:

NightRyder

No I don't think Charlie is blowing smoke, he's just a poker player...

And he has not shown his hand yet.

There is a lot of movement on the Dish Network satellites going on and planned through Q4 which we have been talking about in the pub members area.

There is a lot of speculaton of why Charlie is doing this, and we can all guess, but honestly even with my digging I don't think we will fully see Charlies cards before he is ready to lay them down.

No matter what happens its ALL GOOD for all of us.

I agree, in the end, we'll all get the benefit.

But speaking in terms of REAL channels for the average joe...like me. I live in New Orleans. Are all you D* fans telling me that I'd get 100 HD stations in say, Dec? From what I'm reading, the answer would be NO. Half of those 100 are local HDs, RSNs, MLB package, and NFL stuff. How is that going to benefit ME? I get all my Saints games locally in HD OTA. I hate baseball and we don't have a team here. RSN's and locals are the same, nothing to help me. So for REAL, how many more channels will D* have for ME, a regular Joe customer as opposed to E*?

From what I can tell...not many..if any in reality.

HD cable with the ViP211

why phone line?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts