Charlie's Blockbuster will love this.

With all these caps providers are putting into place and some people's lack of getting a good quality internet connection, I can still see demand for dvd rentals for at least a few more years. Blockbuster's advantage is that you can pikcup and drop the movies off at the store instead of having to do it all through the mail. This means less wait on getting more movies as they would be getting them back sooner even if you had to wait in the mail for the next one.

I dropped the DVD option when the studios started issuing "rental" versions, with no extras or commentaries that were on the retail version, and Netflix agreed to hold new studio titles for thirty days after street date. I have had zero problems with the streaming so I'll stay with that and if I want a DVD, I get it at the library with full extras for twenty five cents.

I use streaming only, so my plan will stay the same price. Physical media is on it's way out, that's the main problem with Blockbuster. Just like record stores, it's a relic of the past.

I don't agree. There isn't a stream in the world that compares to a Blu-Ray with Dolby TrueHD or DTS sound to say nothing of the picture quality.

Having said that, I do use and enjoy Netflix streaming mainly for TV shows.

I have been with Blockbuster online for about 2 months now and I love it. I tried the Netflix streaming but it was a bunch of old shows and movies. I am one of the lucky ones I guess because I still have a Blockbuster store about 5 blocks from where I live so I can exchange my Blu Ray's right there in the store. This store is always busy (which is probably why it is still open). When I was in there the other day I noticed they had installed a Dish Network kiosk and at the time even had a Blockbuster employee helping a customer sign up for service on it. It was very well layed out presentation of Dish services and equipment information so a customer could make a sound decision on getting the right equipment and service.

This is (at least for now) good for people who live in rural areas who do not have broadband internet. I just changed our Netflix plan to the DVD only option (no streaming) because we can not utilize streaming where we are. There are a lot of rural areas like that: DSL? Nope. Cable, not required by county contract so KOA. Satellite internet?--5GB limit and speed for streaming, nope.

Well this really bites. I have been pleased with my Netflix service because, as I posted once before, my son & my wife like the streaming, and I like getting the BD. I agree with ibanex_ax, "There isn't a stream in the world that compares to a Blu-Ray with Dolby TrueHD or DTS sound to say nothing of the picture quality." My son likes cause he can stream directly to his X-Box in his room. At $13.00/month, it was worth it for the family, specially since I would tend to watch the BD as soon as they came and return them the next day.
Blockbuster isn't the answer for us because all the ones that were close by have close down. That another reason I went with Netflix, because almost all of the video rental stores have closed down around us.
Redbox might be the answer, since there's one at the WalMart where my wife works. So it should be easy for her to pick up and take back a movie (should be).
I just don't see me putting out $18.00/month to stream and get BD rentals. Specially, after paying my monthly Dish bill too. It looks like I might be saying good-bye to Netflix. My son is good at watching movies via youtube and other web sites on the computer in the TV room. I'm the one that will really lose out...I definitely have to do me some think'n and calculate'n!
Ghpr13:)

Well this really bites. I have been pleased with my Netflix service because, as I posted once before, my son & my wife like the streaming, and I like getting the BD. I agree with ibanex_ax, "There isn't a stream in the world that compares to a Blu-Ray with Dolby TrueHD or DTS sound to say nothing of the picture quality." My son likes cause he can stream directly to his X-Box in his room. At $13.00/month, it was worth it for the family, specially since I would tend to watch the BD as soon as they came and return them the next day.
Blockbuster isn't the answer for us because all the ones that were close by have close down. That another reason I went with Netflix, because almost all of the video rental stores have closed down around us.
Redbox might be the answer, since there's one at the WalMart where my wife works. So it should be easy for her to pick up and take back a movie (should be).
I just don't see me putting out $18.00/month to stream and get BD rentals. Specially, after paying my monthly Dish bill too. It looks like I might be saying good-bye to Netflix. My son is good at watching movies via youtube and other web sites on the computer in the TV room. I'm the one that will really lose out...I definitely have to do me some think'n and calculate'n!
Ghpr13:)

You could do Blockbuster by Mail. They don't charge extra for Blu Ray's. Here are there plan. I'm on a 3 month free trail with Dish right now to try it out. I also have Netflix.

https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/m/plan

You could do Blockbuster by Mail. They don't charge extra for Blu Ray's. Here are there plan. I'm on a 3 month free trail with Dish right now to try it out. I also have Netflix.

https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/m/plan

If you get one disc at a time, Blockbuster is still more expensive. They're offering one BR disc at a time for $11.99 while Netflix has it for $9.99 minus the streaming. The one advantage that Blockbuster does have is the lack of a 30 day delay on the availability of some movies. I suppose you have to ask yourself, is that worth the extra $2 a month?

handiman876 said:
If you get one disc at a time, Blockbuster is still more expensive. They're offering one BR disc at a time for $11.99 while Netflix has it for $9.99 minus the streaming. The one advantage that Blockbuster does have is the lack of a 30 day delay on the availability of some movies. I suppose you have to ask yourself, is that worth the extra $2 a month?

In my experience, Blockbuster's turn around time is longer than Netflix as well. Netflix usually ships out new movies the day they receive returned movies, but Blockbuster often waits a day before shipping out new movies (and given their warehouse location it can take two days by mail to get to me instead of netflix's one day- but that's geography related and will vary).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have a question I am with netflix for few years now as blu-ray customer & getting it by mail
Since I have screen room and love the blu-ray format.. streaming movies, still gives me same qualithy , sound & format like blu-ray? Not 16by9? for someone dose have screen room qualithy?

I have a question I am with netflix for few years now as blu-ray customer & getting it by mail
Since I have screen room and love the blu-ray format.. streaming movies, still gives me same qualithy , sound & format like blu-ray? Not 16by9? for someone dose have screen room qualithy?

Streaming is not the same quality as Blu Ray, not sound and not the video.

whatchel1 said:
Here is an article that came out from PCWorld this morning. And BTW DodgerKing at the time that I posted this there didn't seem to be a thread with the info. That is why I posted it. PC World article: Netflix Users Protest Proposed Price Increases With Social Media Firestorm | PCWorld I'm glad that I wasn't posting something that had already been done 4 or 5 times. I was a bit surprised that it hadn't.

no need to justify. Its cool. I was just asking a question and I did so before realizing this was a totally diffrent asoect of the same story. It deserves its own thread.

Sent from my Samgung GALAXY tablet using SatelliteGuys

I may drop Netflix completely. I'm currently on the $11.99 plan that allows one DVD/Blu-ray plus unlimited streaming, but I can't see paying $18/mo. for the same service. I now have Netflix streaming through my PS3 to my 54" plasma or my projector with 96" screen (both 1080p), but I frankly don't use it as much as some other people. I am far more likely to watch MLB.TV through my PS3 all summer, than watch a streaming movie. I also have Amazon Prime so I have access to their free streaming service through my internet-connected Panasonic plasma TV, even though I almost never use that, either.
I will probably just switch to RedBox if I want to watch a recent-release movie. What I don't understand is -- how come RedBox is only $1.50 for a HD Blu-ray rental, but DISH charges $6 or $7 to view an HD movie? Add-in the fact that DISH does not have to install, maintain, and constantly re-stock 27,000 machines to provide their movie rental service! If DISH charged what Blockbuster charged for a one-day rental of a new release -- $2.99 -- I would probably be all over that after I dropped Netflix. But at 6 or 7 dollars, I don't even consider watching a DISH Cinema movie.

... What I don't understand is -- how come RedBox is only $1.50 for a HD Blu-ray rental, but DISH charges $6 or $7 to view an HD movie? Add-in the fact that DISH does not have to install, maintain, and constantly re-stock 27,000 machines to provide their movie rental service ...
The comparison is only valid because Red Box has found a way to keep their satellite expenses low.

Redbox might be the answer, since there's one at the WalMart where my wife works.
I have the same situation with my wife working at Walmart and Redbox there. The problem with Redbox (at least at that Walmart) is that BD are very few and of the few they are old ones. And with DVDs and New BD that they do carry they rarely have new of anything because they're always rented out. The other thing is there is always a line and people take so long to choose what they want. Now if our Walmart had 2 or 3 Redboxes in there then that would surely so the trick. I tried Redbox and gave up on it because of all that.

We have a Blockbuster maybe 10 min from here. The one closer closed down. There's never anyone in that BB though so I can't see it lasting much longer. I can't see joining BB and renting them by mail and returning them to the store. Seems pointless to me. Netfix is SOOOOO convenient by mail. I select rentals so easily through the queue, I get them the next day, I put it in my mailbox the following day, then they get it and notify me it's received the next day, then on the same day ship me another (and a notification that it shipped). It's just so convenient and easy.

Jay

I have the same situation with my wife working at Walmart and Redbox there. The problem with Redbox (at least at that Walmart) is that BD are very few and of the few they are old ones. And with DVDs and New BD that they do carry they rarely have new of anything because they're always rented out. The other thing is there is always a line and people take so long to choose what they want. Now if our Walmart had 2 or 3 Redboxes in there then that would surely so the trick. I tried Redbox and gave up on it because of all that.

We have a Blockbuster maybe 10 min from here. The one closer closed down. There's never anyone in that BB though so I can't see it lasting much longer. I can't see joining BB and renting them by mail and returning them to the store. Seems pointless to me. Netfix is SOOOOO convenient by mail. I select rentals so easily through the queue, I get them the next day, I put it in my mailbox the following day, then they get it and notify me it's received the next day, then on the same day ship me another (and a notification that it shipped). It's just so convenient and easy.

Jay

You don't return them it the store. You just put it back in your mailbox when you're done watching it just like Netflix. You do get 5 in store exchanges though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts