Charlie's working on HD distant locals

bbriggs

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
Found this as I was browsing my temporary free access on broadcastingcable website (it's cut and paste, I hope they value advertising more than prosecution of copyright):

The one major must-pass bill will come out of the Senate and House Judiciary committees, which must originate the legislation to extend the Satellite Home Viewer Act, spelling out when satellite-TV distributors can import out-of-town signals of broadcast networks to viewers in local markets. The law expires at the end of 2004 and Sens. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) and Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), leaders of the Senate Judiciary Committee, have indicated that they want to reauthorize it soon.

EchoStar Chairman Charlie Ergen is likely to put up a fight that could prolong the debate. He wants a provision that would make it easier for him to offer distant networks' high-definition programming.

I hope it Charlie get's his way and if he would partner with Rupert on this legislation we might actually see this one get passed for both providers.

It could mean that they would pass this bill that would only allow for distant HD markets to be broadcasted so that consumers would have to purchase the HD feed to get the distant networks to get HD to grow quicker and if the consumer could not pick up an HD signal at his/her location. That may not happen that way though and would have to apply to SD as well.

I believe there will be some substantial changes. I have to believe they are going to say if you are "served" by your satellite provider with locals you will no longer qualify for distants even if you are in what is now a "White area." I also wonder if they will simply make cable and DBS the same - if cable is carrying more than one DMA to those they serve (which in many areas they are) than DBS will be allowed to do the same.

However, I do see a small ray of light to allow satellite providers the ability to transmit national HD network channels, such as CBS HD is now carried, but with new types of restrictions. If they can find a way to have your box go to the local SD channel for commercials, that would be most of the battle. If we are talking mainly evening network broadcasts that all the locals carry anyway, I see this as workable. I - and others - have said for quite awhile the biggest obstacle for DBS is coming when more people have HD tv's and expect hd broadcasts of their network shows. Cable will be ahead unless DBS can find a way to also broadcast in HD for the networks. Some are willing to go back to OTA to get HD at this time, but when it becomes commonplace for Cable to carry network HD programming they will be less inclined to want an antenna.

Could an argument be made that the local control of network programming is monopolistic and hampers competition? As a consumer, I don't have a choice and am forced to a product even though other means to the same product are readily available.

I would like to see distant HD feeds made available to those who have no other source for HD. Make DTV a seperate class of signal for the waiver process. Simply adding to the waiver determination process the additional term ATSC in addition to the NTSC would do the trick. This would give a process for getting waivers for two signals, the analog and digital. If a broadcaster wants to keep the local DTV audience, they better step up and provide a watchable signal.

The thing about the local commercials is... I live in southern NM, Albuqurque is the provider for most of the progamming in the state, and is about 300 miles away. My local ota's show occasional commercials but usually for the city where the translator is located which is still 90 miles away.

Tampa8 said:
I have to believe they are going to say if you are "served" by your satellite provider with locals you will no longer qualify for distants even if you are in what is now a "White area."
A certain reading of the current SHVIA could be construed that way, although E* and D* would rather have the money distants bring in.

Tampa8 said:
I also wonder if they will simply make cable and DBS the same - if cable is carrying more than one DMA to those they serve (which in many areas they are) than DBS will be allowed to do the same.
Cable has the nice requirement of carrying any channel that provides a Grade B signal to the community no matter what DMA it is in. If you live in the Grade B of two stations you can get both! I like that.

Tampa8 said:
However, I do see a small ray of light to allow satellite providers the ability to transmit national HD network channels, such as CBS HD is now carried, but with new types of restrictions. If they can find a way to have your box go to the local SD channel for commercials, that would be most of the battle.
Possible, but difficult. If the locals and the national were on the same transponder they could steer you away to your local content and back with barely a flicker on the screen. (Well, more than a flicker as your receiver may not like going HD to SD.) The entire transponder would have to be 8psk, which would rule out most receivers. You would only have room for 6 or so local feeds unless the HD was brought down during commercials - then you would have 12 or so but *no SD only use of the feeds* (unless they too were switched national to local). What a mess!

A two tuner setup would be able to track the local on one transponder and the national HD on another and MIGHT be able to make the flip. But the two tuner boxes have other purposes which are more interesting than commercial inserts.

A better solution would be the networks getting clearance from their affiliates to provide a national HD feed. Not E*/D* taking distants under SHVIA, but a pure network feed. I believe the locals would not like that, and would only happen where the network was more powerful than the affiliates.

Note that CBS-HD is available in their O&O markets. Viacom couldn't care less about their local advertisers --- they would rather have the HD feed available. A similar attitude applied at the other networks may reach the goal: broadcast networks in HD.

JL

It would be nice if a revamped SHVIA gave sat service the right to provide distant HD signals in markets where the local affiliate has failed to provide HD service that is available from the network. Some stations in small markets like mine (Champaign, IL) are refusing to provide HD pass-through for network signals (CBS) claiming that the market does not support the investment in HD equipment. That's fine - I think a local affiliate ought to be able to make a market decision not to provide HD service. But they should suffer the consequence of letting a consumer who wants HD service subscribe to a distant signal. Then the local affiliate would have a concrete way to estimate how many eyeballs its no-HD policy was actually costing the station, and could adjust its market decisions accordingly.

I really believe that the market works, but only when consumers have the ability to register their market choices. Right now, that ability is not available in the HD arena. No matter how many e-mails I send to our local CBS affiliate, they know that I have no legal choice but to watch their CBS signal. So they have absolutely no market incentive to supply the CBS HD programming.

John C.

Charlie IS working on gaining MVDDS spectrum in the current FCC spectrum auction. If he gets this spectrum I have a feeling that is how local digitals will be delivered.

I live just outside of Salt Lake City- KUTV is owned by CBS - for a couple of months they shut down their HD broadcast. I called Dish to see if I could subscribe to CBS-HD - They said NO, I don't qualify... I say screw the local TV stations.. Make them compete like everyone else for business. Why should I get screwed by my local TV stations? If some other station somewhere else in the country has HD why should I not be able to PAY to get them?

I'm not sure how the laws work or why they are there but if Orin Hatch is involved you can be sure it will not be for the benefit of the 'people'!

Mike Greer said:
I live just outside of Salt Lake City- KUTV is owned by CBS - for a couple of months they shut down their HD broadcast. I called Dish to see if I could subscribe to CBS-HD - They said NO, I don't qualify...

What was the reason for them not granting you CBS-HD? From what I can tell from your message, I would think that you would qualify.

I had the same feelings about my cable company years ago. Back then, stereo was just making its break onto the scene and I really wanted to hear the Tonight Show in stereo. The SF affiliate was blacked out after the late news, but I could always catch the first minute or two in stereo. When switched off, I had to tune to the local mono broadcast. I don't think any features are going to change the laws protecting the rights of the local stations, no matter how far back in the dark ages they may be.

Kaos said:
What was the reason for them not granting you CBS-HD? From what I can tell from your message, I would think that you would qualify.

They said I could not subscribe to CBS-HD because I could get it over-the-air. When I told the guy that they had stopped broadcasting HD he said it didn't matter - the database they use said I could receive local broadcasts and that was it. I thought I had a chance because it is a CBS owned and operated station. Guess not...

I'm sure Dish Network would like to sell subscriptions to anyone but our backward thinking, big business protecting government won't allow them to.

I also tried to get CBS-HD here in Detroit area(O & O) but could not because I am grade B for Toledo,I had to get a waiver for which Toledo said no,I called them to ask why and they said they turn down all waiver requests no matter what.

Mike Greer said:
They said I could not subscribe to CBS-HD because I could get it over-the-air. When I told the guy that they had stopped broadcasting HD he said it didn't matter - the database they use said I could receive local broadcasts and that was it. I thought I had a chance because it is a CBS owned and operated station. Guess not...

I'm sure Dish Network would like to sell subscriptions to anyone but our backward thinking, big business protecting government won't allow them to.
If it is a CBS o&O and you aren't also in another CBS DMA, then you are eligible for CBS-HD. You are not however eligible for distant networks (other then the CBS-HD). You must be subscibed to you LOCAL DMA if its available.

tnsprin said:
If it is a CBS o&O and you aren't also in another CBS DMA, then you are eligible for CBS-HD. You are not however eligible for distant networks (other then the CBS-HD). You must be subscibed to you LOCAL DMA if its available.

That is what I thought - but they told me no. Is there info somewhere that I could email them or something? I want a 921 but I want to time-shift at least CBS. If I can subscribe to CBS-HD it would allow me to do so.

Thanks for the glimmer of hope!

-Mike

Mike Greer said:
That is what I thought - but they told me no. Is there info somewhere that I could email them or something? I want a 921 but I want to time-shift at least CBS. If I can subscribe to CBS-HD it would allow me to do so.

Thanks for the glimmer of hope!

-Mike
Right from there web site

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/locals/cbshd/index.shtml

Method 1
o&o Salt lake is mentioned
and
No other DMA (you hopefully know that)
and
Subscribe to Distant or local nets

tnsprin said:
Right from there web site

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/locals/cbshd/index.shtml

Method 1
o&o Salt lake is mentioned
and
No other DMA (you hopefully know that)
and
Subscribe to Distant or local nets

Duh.. Thanks! I should have checked that out before I called them. I'll give them another try and see what BS they give me this time.

Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)