[CHARTER] Opinions of Charter DVR?

Synge

Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
N.E. Michigan
Anyone have any advice/opinions on Charters DVR service? I'm considering adding it but not sure if it's worth an extra $14.99 a month to me personally. I've read that it's fairly limited in storage space and not the most user friendly either. There is really very few shows that I watch on a regular basis that I absolutely would need to record anyway so it seems to not be worth the added expense.

I've also heard that once you have it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without one. Opinions either way?

I think that it is awesome and definately worth the 14.99. The best feature is that you are watching a show, your mother or mother in law calls and its near the end of the show. . .instead of missing both the show and the call with your mom you can hit pause. . .catch up with it later ha. Also, we rarely watch shows at their normal times anymore. . .we usually like to catch the show half way through and be able to fastforward through commercials. . .believe me its DEFINATELY worth it!

Here in CT the price is 9.99. I love mine and very rarely watch anything live anymore.
I added a external hard drive to add capacity. Cost me 150.00 for the hard drive. i have the SA8300HD DVR and haven't had any trouble with it.

No it is not 14.99 per unit. It is actually 20 do an extra unit as they charge you 4.95 for the box and 14.99 for the DVR fee (I specifically asked if I already had one if I still had to pay another 14.99) Also, they are limiting people to only 1 DVR box due to lack of supplies. . .but do you really need multiple dvrs?? Seems strange to me. . .

I have two MOXI dvrs from Charter and a MOXI mate. The reason I have two is because sometimes we need to record four different channels that are on at the same time and day.

Andyman33 said:
I think that it is awesome and definately worth the 14.99. The best feature is that you are watching a show, your mother or mother in law calls and its near the end of the show. . .instead of missing both the show and the call with your mom you can hit pause. . .catch up with it later ha. Also, we rarely watch shows at their normal times anymore. . .we usually like to catch the show half way through and be able to fastforward through commercials. . .believe me its DEFINATELY worth it!

If being able to pause TV is the best feature of a DVR then it is missing alot IMO. I have never used the Charter box. Is this the HD one or the SD one?

I have the HD one (moxi box) and love every bit of it. You think pausing isn't a great feature. . .get one for a month and then try to get rid of it. That is just what I found to be most useful. Other features:
record a show and watch another one.
record 2 shows and watch one that you have already recorded.
rewind whatever you are watching at any time.
Search for future shows/movies that you might want to watch.
Record series (first run or all) so taht you never forget to tape a show.
Plus, being HD, you can record HD shows or SD shows.
Just try it and then try to give it back up. . .I wouldn't give up my HDDVR for anything lol.

I have the moxi box. It's nice but still missing a lot. 80gig hard drive is way to small. Lots of promises for enhancements but they are already 6 months behind the last release. No DVI in my market. Don't know why Charter won't explain. I miss the regular Grid like the dish dvr's had. Supposedly coming in a future release. response to the remote can be rather sluggish. I'm really looking forward to the boxes that Samsung is getting ready to put out. Four tuners and more storage. when the moxi mate supports HD i will probably go that route but not while it's only SD.

Guess we are lucky here not to have the moxi box. I added 300GB external hard drive to my SA8300 and am extremely happy with it. Very rarely watch anything that I didn't record first to get rid of commercials. Can watch 2 hour American idol in about an hour and not have to listen to all the crap they use to fill the time.

Hey thescrub, the DVI should work unless it's just not on your box, the only limitation is that you can only veiw HD thru it, so it has to be on HD when you switch over, if it's not working call CS and they can force a download which enables the DVI. FYI

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)