Check your DISH NETWORK bills for UNAUTHORIZED SALES TAXES!

It is not for the DVR fee. It is the monthly equipment (hardware) charge, and is not a service.

they can't charge you a fee for a device you own. here is the easy test. if i discontinue using there service, will they continue charging the fee? no. therefore it isn't an equipment fee, it is an enabling fee.

they can't charge you a fee for a device you own. here is the easy test. if i discontinue using there service, will they continue charging the fee? no. therefore it isn't an equipment fee, it is an enabling fee.

Don't know where you have been lately, but YES they do charge you a receiver fee over the first one, leased or owned. That's why owning does not make much sense any more.

Don't know where you have been lately, but YES they do charge you a receiver fee over the first one, leased or owned. That's why owning does not make much sense any more.

Actually, since the additional receiver fee replaced the additional tuner fee, it's pretty much a wash. In the old days, you paid an extra $5 a month for each additional tuner. Now, for an additional non-DVR solo (if you can call a 211k a "non-DVR" :)), they charge you $7. By the time you figure in inflation... it looks like it's about the same fee. To me, owning still makes as much sense as ever.

One way to look at it is, they don't charge you for your "owned" extra receivers... they charge you for the access it provides you if you have them activated. If you don't activate them, they don't cost you any extra. ;)

Cheers

on a $89.99 bill, there is $5.75 state/local tax--> that equates to 6.39% ???????????????

From what I could find in TX, the first $25 is not taxable (and don't ask me why cause I would have no idea). It is weird but it calculates perfectly knowing that little bit.

Also, as I mentioned to the OP in PM, if you have a question regarding tax, or a tax dispute, contact consumertaxissues@dishnetwork.com. Also, if you have an 'exemption' please mail a copy of your exemption certificate to 9601 Meridian Blvd. Englewood, CO 80112 ATTN: Tax Department or email it to exemptioncertificates@dishnetwork.com.

Chicagonettech, from what I could find when I initially spoke with you was that any fees are taxable, and DVR FEE is a fee. As others have suggested it is not 'equipment' unto itself, and it is not programming, and it is not a 'service' we provide, but a capability of the box. In order to use a box with that capability, there is a fee. While the language of your response from the people I directed you to does seem to insinuate that there is an issue, rest assured that before anything is changed and/or refunded, the charges will be verified (or negated if I am indeed wrong). I did spend a lot of time researching the issue when you first contacted me, and based on the language of the tax laws, I would still say I was correct in my initial assumption with you in PM. However, being that I do not work in the legal department or tax department, I will concede that the information I gave you (and now this thread) was correct in how to deal with this sort of dispute.

Anony55 said:
Actually, since the additional receiver fee replaced the additional tuner fee, it's pretty much a wash. In the old days, you paid an extra $5 a month for each additional tuner. Now, for an additional non-DVR solo (if you can call a 211k a "non-DVR" :)), they charge you $7. By the time you figure in inflation... it looks like it's about the same fee. To me, owning still makes as much sense as ever.

One way to look at it is, they don't charge you for your "owned" extra receivers... they charge you for the access it provides you if you have them activated. If you don't activate them, they don't cost you any extra. ;)

Cheers

Exactly any fee for a rcvr beyond the first one is just a rcvr fee not lease fee. So as stated it doesn't matter if it is leased or owned.

From what I could find in TX, the first $25 is not taxable (and don't ask me why cause I would have no idea). It is weird but it calculates perfectly knowing that little bit.

How so? If that is the case, $89.99-$25 = $64.99 taxable. $5.75 tax on that is 8.85% !!

Please explain how it calculates perfectly..... maybe if you use fuzzy math!

You dirt members should post the current tax table DN is using. Something screwy is going on!

I need help too on this. Here are details of my bill. Can some one please reply if this sales tax of $3.52 is okay for California Subscriber?

Service Date(s)​
Detailed Activity

Previous Statement Balance​
$ 120.50

Apr 02 Credit Card Payment -120.50​
Monthly Charges​
Apr 28 - May 27 America's Top 250 69.99
HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver 17.00
DVR Integration 4.00
Hindi: Sony & ZEE TV 24.99
Starz - 30th Anniv 0.00
DVR Service 6.00
HD 250 Free 0.00​
$ 121.98​
Other Charges and Credits​
Sep 06 ClubDISH Cr 8 of 10 -5.00​
Taxes​
Apr 13 State/Local Tax (Sales) 3.52
Total AutoPay on May 03, 2011 $ 120.50

Please explain how it calculates perfectly..... maybe if you use fuzzy math!!

My apologies. I must have transposed a number when I plugged in to the calculator. As I mentioned before in the same post, I do not work in the tax area and do not know all the tax laws or percentages. There are over 7500 local area tax percentages. I don't know them all by heart, nor do I care to. The point I was trying to make was that, by his post, he was commenting on local retailers charging about 8.25% and he had calculated it at 6.39%. Sales tax is not just state, but local as well (city/county).

You dirt members should post the current tax table DN is using. Something screwy is going on!

The only thing I have to post regarding tax rates was the contact information for questions/exemptions, and the comment I put in bold above this quote.

Without knowing what the tax rate is at his exact address (which is how tax is assessed when purchasing goods or services, even houses) we got closer to what I thought was question. In my area in Colorado, I can drive 1 mile west of my home and pay 8.25%, or 2 miles away (same direction) and pay 7.45%. I can also drive North of my house 1.1 mile and pay 7.85%. By the way, these are distances to Starbucks from my home, so I know when my Iced Chai costs something different due to tax. Why it is so, I have no idea. Same city no less, only difference is the ZIP.

When you purchase a car, you pay tax not for where the dealership is located, but for where the car will be registered. It has also been pointed out it works that way in 'satellite land.' Also, taxes are not assessed on the actual $ amount paid, but the cost of the service itself. If the service is $69.99 and I receive a credit for the same amount, I am still liable for the taxes on the actual cost, not what I paid. The tax is imposed PRIOR to credits (even in car purchases, BTW), meaning that the $89.99 could be after a credit (not posted).

With regard to Singhnx01's question, please utilize the information I posted previously if you have tax questions.

Last edited:
still not as horrible as cell phones, but they should at least make it as clear on the bill. TX rates are between 6.25% (state) and 8.25% (up to 2% for county/city). It is not to exceed 8.25%, so the confusion came with your statement that the first $25 are exempt as that would clearly make it more.

the bill should clearly state which items are being taxed and at what rate.

is that table from post# 19 still accurate?

Last edited:
still not as horrible as cell phones, but they should at least make it as clear on the bill. TX rates are between 6.25% (state) and 8.25% (up to 2% for county/city). It is not to exceed 8.25%, so the confusion came with your statement that the first $25 are exempt as that would clearly make it more.

the bill should clearly state which items are being taxed and at what rate.

is that table from post# 19 still accurate?

Point 1, I dunno if 8.25% is the rate or not for certain or if credits are applied on the bill. Phone service in general I think can include 911 tax, etc. Sorry for the confusion I caused.

Point 2, regarding itemization, THAT is something I agree with! :D King Soopers in my area does exactly that.

Question about the grid? I have no idea, myself.

Last edited:
here is another list:

Sales Tax on Satellite TV Service

still doesn't make sense from a bill of ($69.99 AT250 + $6 DVR + $7 solo + $7 soloHD = $89.99). no combination of these charges taxed @ 6.25% comes to $5.75. Of course, something else if funny:

02/20/11 = $95.94 tax = $5.95
03/20/11 = $95.74 tax = $5.75

same service, same place, no changes at all- difference amount of tax ???

Chicagonettech, from what I could find when I initially spoke with you was that any fees are taxable, and DVR FEE is a fee. As others have suggested it is not 'equipment' unto itself, and it is not programming, and it is not a 'service' we provide, but a capability of the box. In order to use a box with that capability, there is a fee. While the language of your response from the people I directed you to does seem to insinuate that there is an issue, rest assured that before anything is changed and/or refunded, the charges will be verified (or negated if I am indeed wrong). I did spend a lot of time researching the issue when you first contacted me, and based on the language of the tax laws, I would still say I was correct in my initial assumption with you in PM. However, being that I do not work in the legal department or tax department, I will concede that the information I gave you (and now this thread) was correct in how to deal with this sort of dispute.

TonyT - In Illinois there are NO TAXES on ANY FEES or OWNED EQUIPMENT for satellite services.

The consumer tax division has resolved the problem in the tax portion of the billing program and removed those taxes from my bill. They are also issuing a credit for all prior taxes charged. I received notification of the resolution of the issue from them this morning.

Taxes are not, as of yet, governed by any Federal law or regulation. They are a state-by-state issue. Illinois does not tax satellite services or OWNED equipment. Therefore, Dish Network is not allowed to collect those taxes.

They CAN collect sales tax on equipment SOLD in Illinois by a venue with a PHYSICAL PRESENCE in Illinois.

They SHOULD BE collecting taxes on LEASED EQUIPMENT in the City of Chicago - at the CITY OF CHICAGO LEASED EQIPMENT FEE RATE.

They ARE NOT ALLOWED to collect taxes on wholly owned equipment or services.

They ARE NOT ALLOWED to collect taxes on the SHIPPING portion of the SALE of any equipment shipped to Illinois.

Once the actual credits are applied to my billing, I will forward the entire conversation with the Sales Tax Department, along with the applicable portions of the comments made in this forum for them to review and close the case for my specific account.

Since this was opened with the Illinois Department of Revenue, however, I suspect they will be conducting an audit of Dish Network's sales tax collections for customers within Illinois to make certain they are in full compliance in the future.

still doesn't make sense from a bill of ($69.99 AT250 + $6 DVR + $7 solo + $7 soloHD = $89.99). no combination of these charges taxed @ 6.25% comes to $5.75. Of course, something else if funny:

02/20/11 = $95.94 tax = $5.95
03/20/11 = $95.74 tax = $5.75

same service, same place, no changes at all- difference amount of tax ???

That is weird, but does not completely rule out simple ledger charges/credits. Could you PM a phone number on the account? I could probably better explain what is going on seeing it for myself on the ledger.

Chicagonettech, I am glad the direction I sent you provided a resolution.

if it is different next month, it will be posted. changes were done in January when the multi-sport was dropped, and then the new fees came in February.

nothing was done after that, so the bill should have remained the same. we will see, but neither add up correctly with posted tax rate.

You got a raise?! :D

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's funny!

if it is different next month, it will be posted. changes were done in January when the multi-sport was dropped, and then the new fees came in February.

nothing was done after that, so the bill should have remained the same. we will see, but neither add up correctly with posted tax rate.

Sounds good, but please keep me posted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts