Chicago Local Channels in GA

no1csme

Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Hey All,
I just had dish network installed in my home in GA and I want to get local channels from Chicago where I am originally from. Is there anyway to do this?? Please help

You can get the HD locals for sure, but only the big 4 SD ones, because the rest are on spot beam. To do this you would have to call Dish and tell them that you "moved" to a Chicago address.

So what exactly do I do. I don't have a valid address in IL. Would they know if I remained in GA and had an address in Chicago. I really don't know anything about this. If I did change my address, would I have to do anything with the dish or receiver or would dish network do it? Also has anyone heard of FTA? Would that work and is there a way to use my current reciever and sat dish??

So what exactly do I do. I don't have a valid address in IL. Would they know if I remained in GA and had an address in Chicago. I really don't know anything about this. If I did change my address, would I have to do anything with the dish or receiver or would dish network do it? Also has anyone heard of FTA? Would that work and is there a way to use my current reciever and sat dish??

FTA is Free To Air and mostly consists of channels which don't charge for service. There may be a couple of local channels, but do not know of much from Chicago. You would also need a separate dish which you would have to set up yourself (they don't have installers) and you would have to find different sats located at different orbital locations. Try searching lysat (not sure of proper spelling) for more info as to what is located where.

True but keeping your billing address to your correct one.

Yep great point that I should have added. To the original poster if you want to read experiences from lots of people that have done this just do a search on the forum for "move" or "moved" and you'll get a ton of threads where people are talking about thier own experiences doing this.

Hey everyone. I actually moved to Chicago this morning. I got the HD locals but the guide info only has the program on right now and the next hour, after that I can't advance. I downloaded updates and still nothing. Is there something else I have to do?

Hey everyone. I actually moved to Chicago this morning. I got the HD locals but the guide info only has the program on right now and the next hour, after that I can't advance. I downloaded updates and still nothing. Is there something else I have to do?

You can force a guide update by doing a check switch. After it completes the receiver will download the guide data.

Another question. Right now, it's still pulling the guide info in for my Columbus Ohio locals which are pulled from an antenna. If I reset or check switch, will I lose that guide info?

I'll say it again, try a check switch. If that doesn't work then just give it some time. But I've never seen a check switch not force a guide update. If you are saying that it went through the guide update process and they still didn't fill in then I would give it a bit of time and if it doesn't work then you need to call Dish and have them hit your box.

I'm going to do this with the Los Angeles locals but just have to find somebody to help me with the process -- as I badly miss the L.A. news and especially the FOX network from out there. I'm not sure what direction my DISH is pointed in, but it's a DISH 500 and I think I might need to get a DISH1000. I already have my Atlanta locals (true locals) and San Francisco through All American Direct. Other than that, I'm open to subscribing to new local networks from DISH once I move -- but Los Angeles is my preference. I had Cincinnatti (for the Bengals) and, although the signal came in great, any little rain shower (which we haven't had much of in North Georgia recently) would knock it out. Therefore, if I can't figure anything else out, I'll probably just subscribe to the Charlotte locals (at least I'd get MASN then). Only one question: If I downgrade from the Top 200 to the Top 100, will I still get MASN if I'm a subscriber to the Charlotte locals or must I have the Top 200 to get that network or a FOX sports network?

Cade

Oh, and I don't have HDTV. However, I had about $600 left from my last federal student loan for graduate school that I'd be happy to use on an HDTV. Heck, I've paid $150 / month toward those bad boys and they aren't in repayment (and won't be for a while because I'm going on to do a PhD) and since I only owe a total of $11000 on student loans, I wouldn't feel bad about doing that. ;)

Cade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)