Mark_AR

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
North Arkansas
The 811 uses a DVI-D cable

The 921 uses a DVI-I cable

Don't ask me what the difference is. Maybe someone else here can clarify and maybe even know if they are interchangable when people upgrade from the 811 to the 921.

The 921 has DVI-I, which means it is both analog AND digital.

You can connect a DVI-D cable to connect to a DVI display. You can also connect a DVI-I to VGA adapter for use with a VGA display.

Do not fear the DVI-I, it is both digital and analog, leaving the decision to you which you will use.

Hey Frank, do you have your 811 system up and running yet?

Mark_AR said:
The 811 uses a DVI-D cable

The 921 uses a DVI-I cable

Don't ask me what the difference is. Maybe someone else here can clarify and maybe even know if they are interchangable when people upgrade from the 811 to the 921.

If you replace the 811 with the 921, you will be able to just connect the DVI cable (from the 811) to the 921.

I purchased a DVI-I cable and my 811 is being installed today. I will let y'all know if it works.

If you have a DVI-I cable (identified by the - and four pins) it wil not work. The 811 needs a DVI-D cable.

The 811 was installed this morning and the dual-link DVI-I cable works just fine.

According to this website...

http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/Video-Flat.htm

...it should work just fine. And Im happy to report it does. Im glad I dont have to buy another cable when I get the 921.

StevenD said:
The 811 was installed this morning and the dual-link DVI-I cable works just fine.

...it should work just fine. And Im happy to report it does. Im glad I dont have to buy another cable when I get the 921.

I would double check your DVI cable.

The 811's connector looks like this:

DVI-D_female%5B1%5D.jpg

The DVI-I connector looks like this:

dviiconnector.gif

Can you see how the two aren't compatible? I'm glad you have a cable that works, but it isn't a DVI-I cable connected to your 811.

2001-legacy-009.gif

It's hard to see, but the DVI-I cable has four pins around the spade connector.

DVI-I-Dual-link.jpg

StevenD said:

Also quoted from that website...

If a connection is DVI-D, and properly designed, you will not be able to plug in a DVI-I cable but should use a DVI-D cable, even if one of the devices you are connecting is DVI-I.

This DVI stuff is confusing. I found the following site very helpful - www.datapro.net/dvi/html

If you don't have time to check out the site - here are some tips I picked up. Use the flat pin to determine cable ID. A flat pin with four surrounding pins is either DVI-I or DVI-A. A flat pin without surrounding pins is DVI-D (digital only), ergo the "D". DVI-I is an integrated cable which can be used for either analog or digital purposes. DVI-A is obviously analog only.

You may encounter either single or dual link cables. Both DVI-I and DVI-D come in both flavors. Not sure about DVI-A. To dertermine which cable you have check the pin set. A solid 24-pin set (rows of 8) denotes a dual-link cable. Two separated 9-pin sets (rows of 6) denote a single-link. NOTE - to distinguish between a DVI-I and DVI-A, the DVI-I will have a solid 24 pin set, while the DVI-A will have a separated 8-pin and 4-pin set.

From the site: "If you have plugs that are DVI-D, they will accept a DVI-D or DVI-I cable. If you have plugs that are DVI-A, they will accept a DVI-A or DVI-I cable. If you have plugs that are DVI-I, they will accept any type of DVI cable."

Further from the site: "If you have mismatched plugs, such as DVI-D and DVI-I or DVI-A and DVI-I, you may use either a DVI-I cable or the cable that matches the other plug."

Most of you know this already. I post this for those that, like me, sometimes get a little confused about this new connector. Hope it helps. Kirk

Tell me how a DVI-I cable like this:
dvi-id.jpg

can connect to a DVI-D connector like this:

DVI-D_female.jpg

Maybe my 811 is unique in being equipped with a DVI-D connector.

Steve, do your connectors match the pics in this post?

Well, sure enough, my "DVI-I" cable did not have the 4 pins around the flat prong. I took it up to the store that I bought it from and they agreed that it was labeled incorrectly. In fact, they counted 55 of them in the bin that were labeled incorrectly.

I do have a dual-link DVI-D afterall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts