Chrome DishAnywhere SlingPlayer Extension

Modwild

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
I searched the board and only saw one small mention of this under a different topic, so...

I use the Dishanywhere application with my slingplayer all the time. It's a job necessity. Today I got a message saying to update to the new Dish Slingplayer extension. Unfortunately, it doesn't install. If it doesn't install, it takes you to the Sling page which has no information on the extension.

Then the extension downloads (weird) and it the error message is that the page has no business loading extensions so it won't allow it to load. Does anyone know how to sideload a Chrome extension? It doesn't save in my downloads, however, so I guess it's not possible. Bottom line is dishanywhere is no longer usable on Chrome. As much as I just relish the though of flipping between two browsers, it's a pain.

Anyone know if Dish plans on rectifying this horrible mistake? At the very least rolling it back so the what wasn't broke can still be used?

Thanks!

Check your Chrome security settings and your firewall, antivirus, etc. Sounds like it's being blocked. I believe you are talking about a plug-in. Had to download a new one for Firefox a few days ago.

I searched the board and only saw one small mention of this under a different topic, so... I use the Dishanywhere application with my slingplayer all the time. It's a job necessity. Today I got a message saying to update to the new Dish Slingplayer extension. Unfortunately, it doesn't install. If it doesn't install, it takes you to the Sling page which has no information on the extension. Then the extension downloads (weird) and it the error message is that the page has no business loading extensions so it won't allow it to load. Does anyone know how to sideload a Chrome extension? It doesn't save in my downloads, however, so I guess it's not possible. Bottom line is dishanywhere is no longer usable on Chrome. As much as I just relish the though of flipping between two browsers, it's a pain. Anyone know if Dish plans on rectifying this horrible mistake? At the very least rolling it back so the what wasn't broke can still be used? Thanks!

From time to time I have to clear my cache/cookies/history, and that takes care of any issues with downloading and/or using the extension. I use chrome and had no problem with dishanywhere last night. And what KAB said may help as well.

I use DishAnywhere on my PC and as of right now can view shows from my Hopper with Sling.
So I guess I don't understand what your problem is.

There is a new plug in, which he can not install.

I tried Dish Anywhere in Chrome a few days ago for the first time in a long time, and it wanted to do an extension upgrade. But after it upgraded, it still claimed that I had to do the upgrade, in an infinite loop. But I don't think this was anything to do with the Dish Anywhere extension, I think it was just an annoying bit of idiocy that Chrome displays from time to time. Whenever there's an upgrade for Chrome pending, if I don't install it for a while, because I really don't feel like closing all my Chrome sessions, something will eventually just quit working until I close it and do the upgrade. Usually it's Flash, but apparently this time it was the sling player. This is one of the most annoying and inexplicable "features" I've seen in ages. I'm not talking about things breaking because I did an upgrade, I'm talking about things breaking because Chrome WANTS to do an upgrade! It's enough to make me want to go back to Firefox! Firefox puts out way too many upgrades lately, but at least it doesn't act goofy if I don't do them....

Firefox has had multiple problems, just reading posts on this board alone. I don't switch just for the sake of it, but finally did and went to Chrome. Day/night. Once I got Chrome set up how I wanted it, and understood some of the tricks to change settings it has been rock solid with maybe a hiccup or two. I think that is partly because they pretty much make you upgrade.

Funny, spent the last week playing Chrome. To put it simply, spent most of the time tweaking and adding to get it only similar to what Firefox virgin is capable of. Yes, the last few releases have been twitchy, but beats tearing your hair out. Ditched it last night.

I just got a sling adapter and had to install Chrome in order to access the DVR via DISH anywhere.

Btw, using a PC with XP sp3.

The plugin would not install for me either. Finally figured out that I needed to download and save the plugin .exe and then run the .exe manually.

Everything worked fine after that.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

They need to get it working with Chromebooks. No reason it should not function without OSX or Windows.
Ok , no worries. Just tried to give a helpful hint without starting a new thread and getting flamed for not referencing a previous post.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
It has worked for over a year on chromebooks with the slingbox suprised there is nothing that works with the Slingadaptor for Dish receivers. Maybe the plug in does work just a little harder to install?

http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php

It does not give an option to install a plug in. It just has a pop up that says " Dish Anywhere does not support your OS or browser or both. "

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

When Chrome wants to update, I don't close anything. Chrome doe what it needs to and reopen switch all my tabs right where the were before. Some are even still logged in.

The Chrome OS in a Chromebook has no software for dishanywhere. The extension in the Chrome browser only works in the Wintel and Apple machines. Internet Explorer 11 with the sling add-on needed for Wintel if Chrome browser not to be used. Android and iDevice apps work fine for dishanywhere.

Sling technology is used for dishanywhere but it is not sling. Sling on a Chromebook probably works but dishanywhere on a Chromebook does not work, yet. You can use remote desktop between 2 machines with the Chrome browser running and the host is a PC or Apple device connected to Dishanywhere, the final destination is the Chromebook.