Class action HD lawsuit?

This is a Hypathetical poll... Would you rather.....

• Open up a lawsuit against E* and D* and fight HD lite.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Create and Buy a full page Ad in the Major Newspapers to Fight Hd Lite that way

Votes: 19 16.7%
  • Both

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • This is all Phooy... We shouldn't be wasting our time on this :)

Votes: 35 30.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SRW1000 said:
The goal would be to get providers to stop labeling 1280x1080I content as HD. If they want to screw around with resolution, fine, but don't call it something that it's not.
Scott

Even IF the proposed lawsuit has legal merit, by the time any resolution is arrived at it's likely to be irrelevant.

NightRyder

SRW1000 said:

Because these things take at least 5 years, much longer if the companies decide to drag them out. Also, you won't just have E* to contend with, D*, Cable Companies, Broadcasters and Telecoms will all line up against this type of action. IMHO.

NightRyder

I think that you would need to go to the source if you want to make a fight. Voom and the other channels are letting DISH and Direct down res their channels. Go to them and make them force DISH and Direct to stop the down res.

If I have read right that is what Mark Cuban did with his HDNet and HDNet Movies. Start at the source and I think you will have better luck on getting things changed.

Just my thoughts.

Guys I posted this in another thread but if we were to go forward with a lawsute I think we would have a leg to stand on ;)

Guys I did some research on HD formats and digital formats as per required for a term paper im writing for class

I first stopped at the library of congress and looked up Bill S 1932 Subtitle D (the digital transition act) This is the new one passed on DEC20th05

I found some interesting things...

Under SEC. 3410. ADDITIONAL PROVISIONS

Section C
number 3.

`(3) MULTIPLE FORMATS PERMITTED- A satellite carrier may offer the primary video stream and program-related material of an eligible requesting station in any analog or digital format or formats, whether or not doing so requires conversion from the format transmitted by that eligible requesting station, so long as--
`(A) the satellite carrier offers the primary video stream and program-related material in the converted analog or digital format or formats without material degradation; and
`(B) also offers the primary video stream and program-related material in the manner or manners required by this subsection.

So Is dish Breaking the LAW?

The REAL enemies are the greedy pigs who run Hollywood and give us crap products and expect us to pay thru the nose for them. If anyone needs to be sued it's them for pushing the broadcast flag and forcing HDMI upon us. Hollywood needs to go down.

In plane Jane English it basically says that dish or directv can compress but not degrade the material as long as it keeps it looks the same as broadcast.. so all this pixolation we have been seeing is against the law...

down grading from its original format is against the law also :) any one following me on this :)

and to us 1920 x 1080I owners that is discrimmination... to say that an average user cant tell. Its discriminatory against owners of these televisions.. This can be fought and easily won..

I need to become a dam lawyer ;)

Last edited:
NightRyder said:
Because these things take at least 5 years, much longer if the companies decide to drag them out. Also, you won't just have E* to contend with, D*, Cable Companies, Broadcasters and Telecoms will all line up against this type of action. IMHO.
NightRyder
Just because the process may take time, I don't think it's invalid. One of the benefits would be public awareness - much more than anything ever posted to this site would ever do. If that awareness ever comes about, it opens the door for some of the providers to step apart from their competitors and offer actual, true HD programming. Then the market can decide what it wants.

Broadening the scope to all providers that choose to call 1280x1080i HD is fine with me. It also sweetens the pot for any potential lawyers out there.

Scott

goaliebob99 said:
In plane jane english it basically says that dish or directv can compress but not degrade the material as long as it keeps it looks the same as braudcast.. so all this pixolation we have been seeing is against the law...

down grading from its orginal format is aganst the law also :) any one following me on this :)

I doubt "material degradation" means "any degradation". It would come down to court interpretation of congressional intent. I wouldn't put too much weight on that leg. ;)

NightRyder

This is how im interpreting it :)

Main Entry: 1ma·te·ri·al
Pronunciation: m&-'tir-E-&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English materiel, from Middle French & Late Latin; Middle French, from Late Latin materialis, from Latin materia matter -- more at [SIZE=-1]MATTER[/SIZE]
1 a (1) : relating to, derived from, or consisting of matter; especially : [SIZE=-1]PHYSICAL[/SIZE] <the material world> (2) : [SIZE=-1]BODILY[/SIZE] <material needs> b (1) : of or relating to matter rather than form <material cause> (2) : of or relating to the subject matter of reasoning; especially : [SIZE=-1]EMPIRICAL[/SIZE] <material knowledge>

Main Entry: deg·ra·da·tion
Pronunciation: "de-gr&-'dA-sh&n
Function: noun
1 : the act or process of degrading
2 a : decline to a low, destitute, or demoralized state b : moral or intellectual decadence : [SIZE=-1]DEGENERATION[/SIZE]

Main Entry: de·grade
Pronunciation: di-'grAd, dE-
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French degrader, from Late Latin degradare, from Latin de- + gradus step, grade -- more at [SIZE=-1]GRADE[/SIZE]
transitive senses
1 a : to lower in grade, rank, or status : [SIZE=-1]DEMOTE[/SIZE] b : to strip of rank or honors c : to lower to an inferior or less effective level d : to scale down in desirability or salability
2 a : to bring to low esteem or into disrepute b : to drag down in moral or intellectual character : [SIZE=-1]CORRUPT[/SIZE]
3 : to impair in respect to some physical property
4 : to wear down by erosion
5 : to reduce the complexity of (a chemical compound) :

SRW1000 said:
Just because the process may take time, I don't think it's invalid. One of the benefits would be public awareness - much more than anything ever posted to this site would ever do. If that awareness ever comes about, it opens the door for some of the providers to step apart from their competitors and offer actual, true HD programming. Then the market can decide what it wants.
Broadening the scope to all providers that choose to call 1280x1080i HD is fine with me. It also sweetens the pot for any potential lawyers out there.
Scott

While I agree with the desired outcome, I don't believe the prescribed action will accomplish it. This 800 lb gorilla will fight with more than one hand. While fighting a delaying war in the courts with one hand, the other hand lobbies congress for changes to any relevant statues. In the end lawsuit will be irrelevant.

Average John Q Consumer doesn't know, or want to know about any of this. They just want to watch their favorite shows.

NightRyder

goaliebob99 said:
This is how im interpreting it :)

Main Entry: 1ma·te·ri·al
Pronunciation: m&-'tir-E-&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English materiel, from Middle French & Late Latin; Middle French, from Late Latin materialis, from Latin materia matter -- more at [SIZE=-1]MATTER[/SIZE]
1 a (1) : relating to, derived from, or consisting of matter; especially : [SIZE=-1]PHYSICAL[/SIZE] <the material world> (2) : [SIZE=-1]BODILY[/SIZE] <material needs> b (1) : of or relating to matter rather than form <material cause> (2) : of or relating to the subject matter of reasoning; especially : [SIZE=-1]EMPIRICAL[/SIZE] <material knowledge>

Main Entry: deg·ra·da·tion
Pronunciation: "de-gr&-'dA-sh&n
Function: noun
1 : the act or process of degrading
2 a : decline to a low, destitute, or demoralized state b : moral or intellectual decadence : [SIZE=-1]DEGENERATION[/SIZE]

Main Entry: de·grade
Pronunciation: di-'grAd, dE-
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French degrader, from Late Latin degradare, from Latin de- + gradus step, grade -- more at [SIZE=-1]GRADE[/SIZE]
transitive senses
1 a : to lower in grade, rank, or status : [SIZE=-1]DEMOTE[/SIZE] b : to strip of rank or honors c : to lower to an inferior or less effective level d : to scale down in desirability or salability
2 a : to bring to low esteem or into disrepute b : to drag down in moral or intellectual character : [SIZE=-1]CORRUPT[/SIZE]
3 : to impair in respect to some physical property
4 : to wear down by erosion
5 : to reduce the complexity of (a chemical compound) :

I give....Can't argue with the dictionary. ;) :D

NightRyder

Well, all I can say is right-on and power to the people...The oppressed HDTV peoples must not pin their hopes for liberation on the "sensibleness" of imperialism and its lackeys...they will only triumph by strengthening their unity and persevering in their struggle. The imperialists DBS providers are bullying us in such a way that we will have to deal with them seriously...not only must we have a powerful HDTV militia, we must also organize contingents of the people's SD militia on a big scale and this will make it difficult for the imperialists providers to move a single inch in our continuing struggle for compelling HDTV content and so on....

BTW, I will wait till after Monday before I throw my baby out with her bath water...

I’ll pay for my HDTV, but I’ll be damned if I will pay for water in a 12 oz. bottle.

NightRyder said:
Average John Q Consumer doesn't know, or want to know about any of this. They just want to watch their favorite shows.
NightRyder
If this is true, then all HD is doomed. We don't have anywhere near enough members to make a difference, and even we seem divided.

I'd like to believe that as HD becomes more prevalent in the average home, this will change.

Scott

SRW1000 said:
If this is true, then all HD is doomed. We don't have anywhere near enough members to make a difference, and even we seem divided.
I'd like to believe that as HD becomes more prevalent in the average home, this will change.
Scott

As far as I am concerned if it is not either true 1080i or 720p then dish will have to legally call it enhanced definition.

I am paying for high definition.

Seems to me the first order of business should be to get the main stream home theater publications on the band wagon. After all this time I have yet to see D* get lambasted for down-rezing by publications like Sound & Vision or Home Theater Magazine. If the relevent consumer publications won't take them task, I don't see much hope.

NightRyder

If I may make a suggestion?

Rather than screaming LAWSUIT! and trying to find some ambulance chasers to fight a 5-year battle that will result in probably nothing at the end, instead, how about we all talk to Scott G, put some money where our mouths are, and see about taking out a full-page ad in national newspaper or magazine (or both) explaining what E*/D*/cable are actually doing to HD?

This way, we get the message out, maybe the television news media picks up on it, the public at-large gets the message as does Congress, and the pressure starts building up on E*/D*/cable companies to provide an ATSC-mandated signal rather than HD Lite.

I'd be willing to put $75 towards this and I think it'd get a lot more attention a lot faster than class action lawsuit (which I don't like the idea of anyway).

Just a thought...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts