Cleaning up the AV rack - network

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
If you are like me, you may have more and more stuff in your AV rack that wants to get to the internet. And also, that may not be so easy because of the location of the AV rack in relation to the rest of your networked stuff.

I've been using wired ethernet to a ethernet switch and then a single wire to the main router in my house. But it wasn't a neat solution at all and running cable under the house is more hassle for me than I thought it was worth. So I made some changes that might be of interest to others.

First let me say, I'm an avowed Apple fanboi, so I generally look to Apple for solutions.

My main network is wireless using an Apple Time Capsule, which is a combo Airport Extreme wireless router with hard drive for Time Machine backups.

I upgraded all my wireless to 5Ghz 802.11n, but that leaves out the AV equipment and a couple of Windows PCs that don't do 5Ghz. Apple gear doesn't have that limitation.

On the AV rack, I installed an Airport Extreme ($129 refurbs @the Apple Store). Plugged in the internet ready BluRay Player, 722k and HTPC via short ethernet wires. Told the AE to extend the network and all was done quite simply. This makes a very nice, neat, attractive way to do things. The AE works flawlessly, setup is quite simple and it looks good in the AV rack. Other routers and such could be used to do the same thing.

At the same time, I added an AE to my computer room and also told it to extend the network. This one is connected via short ethernet to the HP Touchsmart on my organ, and a dongle for the netbook that I use sporadically.

Overall this neatened up some areas and has the benefit of allowing me to move things around with little effort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts