Setting up an access point

rvvaquero

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 3, 2012
SE Texas
I recently bought a Tesla. The Tesla in the driveway will barely make a connection to my router which is in a front room of the house. The signal drops in and out. The router can not be moved. I've got multiple outdoor cameras and experience some difficulty with them as well. Although all devices in my house have no problem connecting to the router, it seems the wifi signal just doesn't penetrate brick walls very well.

My router is an Asus GT-AC2900. I had another Asus router set up as a mesh unit, but it cratered on me. I would like to create an access point in another room much closer to the Tesla. I don't want to pay the expense of buying another Asus router for mesh service. Is there an inexpensive device which will bring the wifi to another room reliably? I see lot's of $25 access points out there but just don't know how good they work. The Tesla needs a wifi connection for updates.

HERE is an example of device I was referring to.

I have an older router which is not mesh capable. If I set it up in another room and run ethernet to it, can I just connect the Tesla to it through wifi and get internet?

Thanks for any comments or criticism.

Yes.

Any old router with DHCP disabled should work just fine. But it won’t be a mesh, you’ll have different SSIDs. NBD.

Reactions: rvvaquero
I recently bought a Tesla. The Tesla in the driveway will barely make a connection to my router which is in a front room of the house. The signal drops in and out. The router can not be moved. I've got multiple outdoor cameras and experience some difficulty with them as well. Although all devices in my house have no problem connecting to the router, it seems the wifi signal just doesn't penetrate brick walls very well.

My router is an Asus GT-AC2900. I had another Asus router set up as a mesh unit, but it cratered on me. I would like to create an access point in another room much closer to the Tesla. I don't want to pay the expense of buying another Asus router for mesh service. Is there an inexpensive device which will bring the wifi to another room reliably? I see lot's of $25 access points out there but just don't know how good they work. The Tesla needs a wifi connection for updates.

HERE is an example of device I was referring to.

I have an older router which is not mesh capable. If I set it up in another room and run ethernet to it, can I just connect the Tesla to it through wifi and get internet?

Thanks for any comments or criticism.
Go to ebay and get an Asus AC-1900 for about $30 like I did.

Go to ebay and get an Asus AC-1900 for about $30 like I did.
A brand new TP Link extender is only $25 and you don't have to fuss with disabling its router capabilities. Most extenders will work without wiring (other than power).

Mesh is relatively expensive (perhaps 5x).

For devices that don't move around a lot (i.e. cameras, doorbells, thermostats, cars that connect only in the garage, etc.), mesh isn't necessary.

Mesh is relatively expensive (perhaps 5x).

For devices that don't move around a lot (i.e. cameras, doorbells, thermostats, cars that connect only in the garage, etc.), mesh isn't necessary.
Yes its more expensive but it solved my intermittent connection issue with my doorbells etc.

I do things like this quite a bit. If you really are serious and have a bit of computer savvy, it's not too hard.
Firstly. Are you able to run an Ethernet cable close to where you need extended Wifi? Yes/No?
Your main router has multiple antennas. One thing to look for in the router web interface, in settings. Is beam forming. It probably is enabled. But check anyway.
Another option is the Alfa directional panel antennas on Amazon.
Stick one on your main router, and another on the access point. Aim them towards each other and you can get quite a bit more signal between them. I've used them a few times. They do work.

Of note. 5GHz Wifi doesn't play well going through walls or for long distances. The idea is to get fast communication wirelessly with 5GHz. You should have an option to setup your 2.4GHz side of the router/AP for the link. And Wifi from the AP will be over 5GHz to connect your devices to.

I mentioned if you were able to run an Ethernet cable from the main router to the AP. Problem solved.
AI Mesh works good. If you haven't yet. Asus Merlin firmware opens up a lot of options that Asus didn't include.
It installs very easy and you keep the same GUI appearance you currently see. You just need to configure it from scratch.
I haven't run the stock firmware on my Asus router since forever. Do you have a TX power setting on yours?
I do. I can crank it right up!

The little antenna I made for my router is for 5GHz. It beams signal across my house and upstairs. Through walls and floors. The signal is great and the 2.4GHz Wifi net is quite fast. Even signal from it outside is usable for an amazing distance using the stock antennas on the AP/Client router.
It kind of counters my suggestion to use the 2.4GHz Wifi net for your application because of the wall/distance thing.
But shows that a directional antenna will do what the stock omnidirectional just can't so well.

Open for discussion.

Attachments

• 5G.jpg
    5G.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: navychop
Nice. But not all “routers” have external antenna jacks. For instance, the CR1000A cable modem / router does not. Used by Verizon FiOS and I believe a few others.

Yes its more expensive but it solved my intermittent connection issue with my doorbells etc.
If you've got money to burn, most problems can be simplified. If you're on a budget or being careful about your spending, the minimalist approach costs much less and works perhaps just as well. Nobody will ever know that your network is a patchwork.

Nice. But not all “routers” have external antenna jacks. For instance, the CR1000A cable modem / router does not. Used by Verizon FiOS and I believe a few others.
You are right. But choosing the correct router/range extender for your access point should include if it has detachable antennas. I just use old routers and install dd-wrt and Fresh Tomato firmware.
Again you are right. Many ISP routers do not include visible or detectable antennas.
But if you can get spotty wifi at some distance on your phone/tab/laptop.
A router configured in client mode with an antenna such as the Alfa pointed at the ISP unit...will....grab adequate signal to give a great remote access point. I know. It works. And very well too.

Case in point is my neighbor got fiber Internet. The ONIT looks like the monolith from the Zed Zeppelin Presence album. Internal antennas. He wanted Wifi in his metal garage about 200' from the house.
He had an old Netgear router laying around. Slapped Fresh Tomato on it. An Alfa antenna. Configed it to be a client.
And even in the metal building, close to a window, got enough signal fast enough to stream from a fire stick on the big screen close to the beer fridge.
So. There you have it. I do this stuff quite a bit. Sometimes for just a cold one or six!

Reactions: navychop