Closed Captioning on 6000

I really thought that the 6000 had it before. I looked unde the 721 as well and I couldn't find it. Can anyone confirm this? Isn't it illegal for an stb not to have closed captioning?

Sean,
The 6000 does NOT have closed caption capabilities, that is why E* had to quit making them in July 2002 (may have been 2003). They could sell current inventory but could not make any more.

The 721 does not decode Closed Captioning. It is my understanding that the only E* receivers that decode CC are the 811 and 921. If I recall correctly the reason for this is due to the difference in how CC is handled in SD and HD.

In SD the CC data is encoded in the video (as part of the vertical blanking interval) and can be decoded by the CC decoder built into most TVs currently in service. E* SD receivers (and the SD outputs of the HD receivers) pass this data through to your TV. This appears to be enough to satisfy the legal requirements for supporting CC.

CC is not encoded in the video in a manner that can be used by your TV's CC decoder. Therefore is is necessary for the CC feature to be included in the 811 and 921 to meet the requirements for supporting CC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)