Closed Circuit TV--Someone here might be able to help me with this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotwire132002

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
Hey all,

This isn't really satellite related, but I thought somebody here might be able to help me out with this. (TuxCoder?)

Anyway, I'm trying to set up a closed-circuit channel with my friend next door. The problem is--"next door" is right across the street, so I can't run a cable (and it's too far for wireless). I'm wondering if there's any way to send something over the existing cable TV wiring (Charter). Does anyone know of any way to pull this off? Any suggestions are welcome!

Sorry hotwire, no real good ideas over here. :)

Although, unless by "the street" you mean an 8-lane interstate freeway ;) I think you could maybe look into using a "cantenna" (pringles can for higher powered 802.11) setup and stream on a special private network. If I remember correctly, the cantenna should get you the distance and keep it fairly directional. Of course, you could just use the Internet (on an encrypted transport to keep it sorta closed-circuit) if you both have broadband but that's not as interesting. :)

I'm sure somebody can help with ideas though.

TuxCoder said:
Sorry hotwire, no real good ideas over here. :)

Although, unless by "the street" you mean an 8-lane interstate freeway ;) I think you could maybe look into using a "cantenna" (pringles can for higher powered 802.11b) setup and stream on a special private network. If I remember correctly, the cantenna should get you the distance and keep it fairly directional. Of course, you could just use the Internet (on an encrypted transport to keep it sorta closed-circuit) if you both have broadband but that's not as interesting. :)

I'm sure somebody can help with ideas though.

The street is a 2-lane back road--and actually I completely forgot about the Cantenna! I've tried that at one point, and it worked out great! So, there's the back up plan. However, if anyone can come up with a way to send a closed-circuit video signal to their TV, I'm still open to suggestions. (Oh, and hooking a RadioShack RF modulator directly to the Charter input doesn't work. :D )

depending on how bad you want to do it you could rent of the the machines similar to the phone/cable companies that dig underground. all you would have to do is dig a hole in your yard close to the street and in his yard close to the street and then let the machine do the work. be very careful of existing wires/pipes etc. i think you can have the electrical and water companies come out and mark where their stuff is, for a fee. good luck.

I have done searches in the past where you can send video signals wirelessly up to 20 miles away with the right hardware.

send video across street

find a wireless video sender usually on security equipment websites that has an external antenna connector. I know they make them I have seen them but I can't remember where.

Identify the frequency of the sender and find or make an antenna that is tuned for the frequency the sender uses (ie. 900mhz, 2.4 ghz, etc).

Use a directional antenna that will yield higher gain (more directional distance) and orientate the antennas in line of sight of each other if possible.

this could be expensive but will work.

Your welcome. Some of it can be pricey though. I have 400 acres about 8 miles up the road in which this could become handy for. We have problems with trespassers and even have a neighbor that likes to cut trees on us (some of it worth a good bit).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)