Cloud Computing?

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Anyone here using any Cloud Computing applications? If so what are you using and how do you like it?

I have one here that I use daily. It is a Command Center for trading stocks. LIke Google search it's free and it does an excellent job of tracking hundreds of stocks with real time charts and very little if no delay. IT keeps track of my portfolios. I have 3 and builds an aggregate as well. It also tracks my short term gains and losses by the minute.
I tried out a similar software pack that sold for near a grand about 2 years ago but this is far superior.

I think the point is that using this cloud computing software only has purpose if you are logged online anyway so I really don't need it if I have no internet access. By contrast to something like a word processor, I don't think I could use cloud computer for this or any other software that really works better as a resident on my system. I don't think Cloud computing will replace all local software but it sure is better for stuff that you normally do online.

I use every Google Service... Docs, Calendar, Mail, ect. And I love it. With Chrome and offline mode I can still view and edit the documents and calendar and stuff without a connection. Although I do have Openoffice on the machine too in case I need to do heavier stuff.
I don't know if this is considered cloud computing, but I use a webbased note program called Evernote that is awesome. It does have mobile and pc programs that work along with it though, so not pure cloud

As I understand it, cloud computing is where the application is not resident on your hard drive but you can run stuff on it after going to a URL web site. How you pay for it from free to real cost is not important. eg. my Command center is quite the robust package and I don't pay a fee for it's use, but the cost is covered by the fees I pay when making a trade in stocks. In other cases it may be paid for through advertisements which is favored by Google. In other cases you may pay a subscription fee for access to the software.

Google is very big on cloud computing and it is said this will be the next big paradigm in the industry. I don't think it will replace on site applications, however.

I believe, the simple definition of "cloud" computing is the case where processing power is an utility, i.e. you purchase it the same way you buy kW electricity or natural gas for your home.

Not only don't you know where it comes from, it is irrelevant: it is the same no matter the source.

So, RDP-ing from a laptop or internet cafe PC into your home computer is sort of "cloud" computing where you are both, the user and provider.

I think VMWare deserves to be called the father of "cloud" computing: when you see a virtual machine (VMDK file) being moved from one hardware box to another in real time (it can be in the same rack and/or in a different country) without shutting down and even connected users noticing it - that impresses and shows how "abstract" processing power can be made.

Diogen.

When talking about the future of cloud computing, the issues that have to be addressed are reliability, security and lockin.

Anybody can open a Google mail account today and create a Gmail drive of approximately 7GB. Would you use this space as your only backup?
Would you put your tax documents there? And unless the cloud company offers something like this would you even consider it?
Pack Up Your Data and Leave Whenever You Want It s the New Rule of the Cloud - Webmonkey

Rhetorical questions, I know...:)

Diogen.

When talking about the future of cloud computing, the issues that have to be addressed are reliability, security and lockin.

Anybody can open a Google mail account today and create a Gmail drive of approximately 7GB. Would you use this space as your only backup?
Would you put your tax documents there? And unless the cloud company offers something like this would you even consider it?
Pack Up Your Data and Leave Whenever You Want It s the New Rule of the Cloud - Webmonkey

Rhetorical questions, I know...:)

Diogen.

Until your hosting company botches an upgrade or other unexplained happening:

MSFT: We've Got Most of the Sidekick Data Back - Tom's Hardware

and possibly loses all your data...

I use google apps, and use getdropbox.com. I love dropbox; it is an awesome application that enables me to sync files between every computer I work with, and to collaborate easily with people on lots of projects. And it is free. :)

yeah, i use dropbox as well.. I have a paid account and use it as a backup, as well as a way to easily(and quickly) transfer files between systems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts