Clueless on HD ... Upgrade from DVR511 what to do ?

crenninger

Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
SF Bay Area/ CA
So I've had my DVR511 2 TVs for year, like 5 or 6...
and got an HD Tv over the weekend.

I called to upgrade my system to HD and I was asked to pay $100 with 24 months commitment or pay $499 for a 622 with no commitment.

Is that true ? I never had a contract with Dish and I don't want one, but are these 2 options my only ones ? I don't pay any receive fees either right now.

I understand I need to add $10 for the HD programming on top of my current 200 package, that's ok

my question is what are my options to have my DVR upgraded.

FYI they came over to upgrade the antenna like 2 months ago as part of their upgrade program and that was free.

Thanks for any input/information you may have on this.

You could try to get ahold of the Dish Loyalty department if you've been a long time customer and see what they can do for you, or you could try and bye a 622 from ebay. I think they go for around $250 sometimes.

The equipment is expensive for Dish to buy, esp HD equipment. They want to ensure you will be a paying customer long enough to make a profit from you. Even with the upfront payment, it'll be quite some time before they have positive cashflow out of you.

That upfront fee is to lease the receiver, not own it. You'll pay about the same each month whether you own or lease. So there's not much point in owning, unless you hope to sell the receiver some day. Keep in mind, new models come out, and the old lose value.

I've given up owning. I own my 508, but lease my two ViP722 HD DVRs.

You might catch a break if you cancel your current service then open an account in some one elses name in your house.Your get the latest equip.and promotions .programming and such.
You`ll have to commit to 24 months but its better that paying $$ in full for a receiver and then taking chances down the road with no sevice plan and having to pay the standard for a house call should the system fail.

so I guess I need to pay the $100 upgrade fee, and get the receiver from them.

Am I correct assuming I will not pay a monthly fee for leasing the receiver ?

What I would really like to get away is the 24 month commitment.
anyway to get out of that ?

thanks

What's a DVR511?

You get around the 24-month commitment by buying your own receiver. I recently did this via Ebay VIP722 for around $300, shipped. A new VIP612 sometimes goes for under $200. If you can get by without a DVR, then you can sometimes get a VIP211 for under $100 used. Note that you can turn a VIP211 into a DVR with addition of your own external USB hard drive for a 1-time cost of $40. This avoids that loathsome $5.98 DVR fee on all but the earliest Dish DVRs.

Nope ...

Really though ... do you plan on going anywhere for the next 2 years?

The $100 will also upgrade your dish so if you think about it, you are essentially getting the HD DVR for free.

If you buy the HD DVR and if you cancel you do not have to pay any early termination fees, but you also have a $400 (or there about) receiver that you have to unload.

If you lease and leave early, you will have to pay the early termination fee.

In the end, both ways, you end up paying about the same if you cancel.

If you do not cancel, all you pay is $100 for the installation and the DVR by leasing.

If you do not cancel, but purchase your receiver are looking at several hundred dollars more. You could use that several hundred dollars and get more programming ... or PM me and I can give you an address to mail the check if you are that intent on spending the money ;)

The 2 year commitment really is not that bad considering what you get ...

Possibly, Just 2 TVs DVR nothing fancy about it.
I think you must have a 522, which is a dual-tuner SD DVR. The obvious upgrade for a 522 is either a 622 or 722, which is also a dual-tuner DVR. Note that only the TV1 outputs on current Dish HD recievers are HD.

I am pretty much set for the 722 and I will pay the upgrade fees and get the 2 years commitment.

Now that is interresting,
Note that only the TV1 outputs on current Dish HD recievers are HD.

But this quote above raise a question,

How can I get HD on TV2 via coax cable?

I assumed that the receiver would just Stream qam signal over coax to TV2 ?
Is it not correct ? Most likely by year end we will upgrade TV2 to HD as well so that is a concern.

Would the 722k I have been trying to learn about would do that ?

Sorry, but no! The 722 has RF outputs, but they are NTSC SD signals only. The TV2 outputs are at best SD composite. TV1 includes HDMI and component outputs. Now you can go quite some distance with either of those, so... If you don't mind watching the same program on both HDTVs, then just string the cables. Otherwise, you are going to need two HD receivers such as the VIP612.

Sorry, but no! The 722 has RF outputs, but they are NTSC SD signals only. The TV2 outputs are at best SD composite. TV1 includes HDMI and component outputs. Now you can go quite some distance with either of those, so... If you don't mind watching the same program on both HDTVs, then just string the cables. Otherwise, you are going to need two HD receivers such as the VIP612.

so that will mean to get an other box, and I bet paying the extra leasing fee for that.

Can any HD/DVR receiver stream qam over coax to TV2 ?

done deal,
called Dish, and got 3 times some people in india that I couldn't understand,
then called again claiming cancellation.

Got some really helpful rep, went through the process,
they are supposed to bring a 722k (I doubt it) but we will see, 722 would be just fine for me.

Also being a customer for 6 years and never did an upgrade they waived the upgrade fees.

So they'll come over on Thursday to install something on the dish and swap out the receiver.

Thank you all for the help understanding this .

I'll report on the 722k vs 722 receiver when I get it.

Christian

I'll report on the 722k vs 722 receiver when I get it.
Good luck getting a 722k! The poor chap who authored the thread "K on the way" did not in fact receive his 722k, but rather a regular 722. If you do receive a 722k, make sure it has the OTA module or else you won't be able to record your local broadcast stations via your own antenna.

Infomercials pushed to my DVR?

Question re: EHD max. capacity

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts