COAX Question

DP1962

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
I want to replace my C-Band dish with Dish Network, my question is can I use the same lead in cable? I understand the new dish requires RG-6 coax, the lead from the C-Band dish has no marking that I can find, other than the manufacturer name of Belden, date wise this cable was purchased in about 1992 if that makes a difference, does anyone know if this cable will perform properly for the Dish Network setup?

In all my years of doing C-Band, I have personally never seen ribbon cable made with anything other than RG-6 cable. It may have been available with RG-59, but I have never run across any. That said, your biggest problem, even if it is RG-6, is that the cable would not be sweep tested to 2.2Ghz. DishPro and DishProPlus lnbs require RG-6 cable that is tested to at least 2.2Ghz. Your best bet would be to install new cable.

Depending on your receiver needs, you can use a legacy Twin on a C-band wire with no problems. Most C-Bands had 2 RG6 lines in them. Also, I have had better luck running DP LNBs on CBand wire than on P* wire, so, like they say, YMMV.