Coax requirement for HD OTA.

Cliff

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 15, 2003
Wyman, Kentucky, United States
Sorry I just noticed there was an OTA HD forum could someone move this question to the correct forum.

I was wondering since the OTA HD Frequencies are higher than analog, wouldn't it be appropriate to upgrade my coax and splitters to increase the signal quality to the 622.

May help with aquisition and stability of signal, am I going overboard with this?

Last edited:
If you receive a high signal strenth, it doesn't matter too much. If you are borderline, the better the coax and preamp/booster the better. You may also want to check if your locals are at full or near full strength. Some stations don't want to put the digital at full strength due to having to supply power to the analog. I had a lot of problems maintaining signal strength till the local networks put up their power output. My meter went through the roof when they did that.

If you aren't using a mast mount preamp then the better coax with the least amount of dB loss is very necessary but if you are using a preamp then that will take care of the loss in the coax run/receiver front end noise figure.

It really doesn't matter much for OTA with regard to the short distances of runs in a regular residential install. Even rg59 is OK. OTA frequencies are the same for analog as Digital. The only difference is the method of signal modulation and encoding.

like mike said, all you really need is rg-6 with 60% braid. i recommend perfect vision or belden. for ota having a solid copper center is not extremely important but maintains a better signal over further runs. quad shield is not necessary but again helps prevent signal loss for longer runs.

Cliff said:
Sorry I just noticed there was an OTA HD forum could someone move this question to the correct forum.

I was wondering since the OTA HD Frequencies are higher than analog, wouldn't it be appropriate to upgrade my coax and splitters to increase the signal quality to the 622.

May help with aquisition and stability of signal, am I going overboard with this?

Your premise is factually incorrect (digital television is using the same slice of spectrum as analog television is), but it wouldn't hurt to inspect to setup and make sure everything is in good condition. If there's any damage to your coax or if you notice corrosion on the connection than a replacement may be in order, but otherwise you're going overboard.

GeorgeLV said:
Your premise is factually incorrect (digital television is using the same slice of spectrum as analog television is), but it wouldn't hurt to inspect to setup and make sure everything is in good condition. If there's any damage to your coax or if you notice corrosion on the connection than a replacement may be in order, but otherwise you're going overboard.

Never hurts to ask the experts, Thanks everyone.

GeorgeLV said:
If there's any damage to your coax or if you notice corrosion on the connection than a replacement may be in order, but otherwise you're going overboard.

Corrosion of the connection, until the advent of DC voltage amplifiers and switching voltages used in dbs satellite systems. Signal transmission, either analog FM or digital is basically very low voltage alternating current. The connection made between the dissimilar metals on the connection is like a galvanic electrolysis unit (the reverse of a cell or part of a battery). Pollution and water vapor form the electrolyte. When current is applied, metallic ions move from one metal and are deposited on the other. This is the basic electroplating process. With AC, ions deposited are removed and redoposited back on the original metal component or electrode. So, the corrosive effect is negligible. With DC switching voltages, metal removed is never redeposited. This results in corrosion and a continued degrading of the signal.

So, amplifiers and dbs requiring dc voltage is the main cause for need of better connectors. The second is higher frequency.

The requirement for solid copper is only important for long runs due to voltage drop in switching voltage. It matters little for signal transmission, whch occurs close to the surface of the conductor. This is called the skin effect. The use of copper plated steel is not an economy move. The copper coated steel is much more durable than solud copper, when subjected to kinking, tension or other rough handling.

I took a chance and gambled and it worked out fine! My house is 2 story and pre-existing RG59 ran from roof-top antenna to the 1st floor living room. I tried many times to 'pull' that cable and replace with newer (and needed two runs) of RG6 cable. NO LUCK - it would not budge.

When I got my HDTV I tossed a radio shack antenna in the attic and just thought I'd see what happened. The antenna farm is 38 miles way - no amplified boost and a 3 way splitter somewhere buried in insulation.

To my surprise, all three terminals have a signal, and the one to my HDTV (and now into my vip211) show 95% signal strength and perfect picture!

Amazed - 25 year old RG59 works just fine!:up

Y2k06 said:
I took a chance and gambled and it worked out fine! My house is 2 story and pre-existing RG59 ran from roof-top antenna to the 1st floor living room. I tried many times to 'pull' that cable and replace with newer (and needed two runs) of RG6 cable. NO LUCK - it would not budge.

When I got my HDTV I tossed a radio shack antenna in the attic and just thought I'd see what happened. The antenna farm is 38 miles way - no amplified boost and a 3 way splitter somewhere buried in insulation.

To my surprise, all three terminals have a signal, and the one to my HDTV (and now into my vip211) show 95% signal strength and perfect picture!

Amazed - 25 year old RG59 works just fine!:up

Just as I thought. Done that many times for customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)