Coax tracer?

yardline

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
I saw an installer the other day had some caps he screwed on the end of the RG6 coax in each room so that he could know which cable he was dealing with back at the home run location. ANy idea where I could buy a set of those?

I picked up a sniffer that has coax, phone, network, and alligator clips from home depot for around $30 or so. Works great!

There's also a really cool unit that I used while doing a major rewiring/labeling/upgrading project here at our facility (that has a LOT of sat & OTA wiring)...

It's similar to that one linked from SolidSignal, but even more capable.... it's the Gale PT-6 pocket toner... they also have the PT-1 & PT-2 but the PT-6 can identify up to six separate lines (with LEDs on the toner barrel) and depending on the kit, can tone over just about any cable type/connector (F connector, BNC, RJ-45, etc).

http://www.specialized.net/ecommerc...367&PT-SIX-Pocket-Toner-Pro-Kit-KIT-PT6-S-PRO

It's about $90 for the full-bore kit, but the basic kit is like $50 and you can piece-part the rest as needed. Oh, and the fact that the PT-2 and PT-6 use AAA batteries instead of the crappy lithiums like my no-name toner is about worth the price of admission...

I usually just tie the ground and center conductor together somehow (e.g., clip leads) and use an ohmmeter at the other end (home run location) to see which cable is "shorted". If you have an F-81 (barrel) connector and a 75-ohm termination load then ou can easily use those for cables that have the male connector already installed. This technique only works reliably for cable runs with no splitters, etc., and of course you can only test for one cable at a time this way...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts