Colorado Voomers

Slacker
Glad you got hooked up. The signal numbers will change to higher numbers when you get the update. If you were going to receive the other locals they should aready be there. See if they come in over the next few days, if not you may need better antenna. Receiver will response better with new software update.

StoneMan - Thanks, I imagine new software will fix many things, but I am fairly satisifed right now.

X1HDTV- I was hoping that would NOT be the case. When I go to the local channels I do get the message "There is a technical fault with this channel Please try later." then it goes to "No Signal received on channel x-x." Once I have current software I'll work on troubleshooting. The Voom CSR said they do this pretty much every night and if you're in standby mode everyone receives them.

As I said in earlier posts I was happy with the install other than the hourly rate I could see he was working on (4 hours):mad: . I could have done this in about 60 minutes. I love the image quality it is great and even if I get no other locals all I need is NBC and FOX, that is all I watch. Since I do want local channels I may request the 8bay from previous posts as there are no analog channels under Voom. The wife did specifically refrence "The Bachelor" and I was forced to direct her to the TiVo in the Master Bedroom :eek: Not to mention I only want one reciever in my living room.

twodutys said:
Same thing in Brighton
I noticed 2-1 & 2-2 were both flakey on my Hughes setup ... I always assumed LOS prob here in Loveland. If I hear anything I'll let you both know. This transmitter is located off I-25 & ehhh Hampden right?

Also, with my install complete an being more than 24 hours old ...
My software did update last night, the box is running much more smoothly. I did not gain any locals but before I call Voom I am going to add my TV-55 back into the mix and point it differently and try to acquire more stations. Otherwise is looks like I may need the 8bay, which would likely be okay as it is rated at about 100 miles.

Install Delays

Hello all,

I was wondering if there are any other new Voomers that have had their install postponed? Has anyone heard when we might expect it to happen? I live in Highlands Ranch, ordered on 5-11, initial install was to be 5-19. Installers are Kings Systems - anyone else had an install from them recently?
Thanks very much!!

Another Colorado VOOMer - online!

Folks -

Just had my VOOM installed yesterday. I had 4 receivers installed, and for the most part the installation went without a hitch.

For reference, the folks who were deployed to do my installation were from a DishConnect subcontractor called 'Point to Point' (303) 871-8000. The gents who came onsite were John and Dylon. They couldn't have been nicer, and they were very knowldegeable. There was a bit of a glitch getting things started (the original schedule was for a morning install), but they were here by about 3 and worked straight through until after 7 last night.

I also have Echostar/Dish (also 4 receivers) installed, and will probably be keeping them - or most - until I can get parity from VOOM programming wise.

Overall reaction:

VOOM is pretty slick. I am having issues with my OTA reception (they put up a Winegard ??? on what is equivalent to a 3 story roof). I am able to get 2-1 ande 2-2 pretty reliably, but 4 and 9 are bad (pixelization/dropouts/etc.), 7 doesn't come in, neither of the PBS's (6 or 12) come in, but I do get FOX on 31.

Because of the roof height and the fact they only had a 20 foot ladder, they had to dangle my OTA cable so it hangs loosely in the air for about 12-15 feet. Supposedly someone will be coming out to address this. It also appears that I may need the 8-bay antenna in order to reliably get locals (at least I hope that will do it). My location is roughly C-470 and Kipling.

Quality wise, I am pretty impressed. As several have mentioned, the quality of the HD sources makes you want to watch things you might not have been previously been interested. Last night a watched one of the sports channels (I'm not a sports fan) to watch segments on kite boarding and sailing - beautiful water in both!

Unfortunately the SD stations don't hold up quite as well. I have a home office and ususally run CNN Headline News in a window on one on my screens while I'm working. I noted there's a lot of video noise or overmodulation in the various panels that CNNHLN displays - very distracting, and it forced me MSNBC and HDNEWS.

I have also had some difficulty getting pictures to look properly proportioned on my downstairs Sony 36 4:3 HD (using DVI) - I really think the VOOM box should offer more squeeze/stretch/zoom/truncate options.

A few questions:

Some of my boxes have older software versions - what do I need to do to get them to take a new download? Do they need to be in standby mode? Is there a specific time of day/night that these occur?

I thought I saw that someone has an RF remote that works with the VOOM box. We have been RF remote based with Dish here for years, and using IR seems so '80's ;^}

I'm getting an off air signal strength of about 49 and an off air signal quality of about 43 - I'm probably only about 15-20 miles out. Are these abnormally low? Will the 8 bay help (or just piss off my neighbors)? Could this be an aiming issue? I know others on the southern side of town are faring much better.

Thanks for any and all help!

Welcome to SpecialK and plyall.

SpecialK--That's quite a delay. Did they give a reason for such a long delay? I wonder if they are having trouble getting the equipment. Might be worth a call to Voom for a little oomph on getting King Systems to work it out. Good luck.

plyall--a total of 8 receivers? Yikes. The software downloads occur whether you have your boxes turned on or off. Voom controls these downloads by box serial number, I think. New subscribers get hit with new software anywhere from 1-5 days after installation. The downloads occur in the wee hours, like 12-3 AM Eastern time. Your off-air numbers seem low, and the 8 bay will probably help. Glad to have you aboard.

plyall,

Overall reaction:
VOOM is pretty slick. I am having issues with my OTA reception (they put up a Winegard ??? on what is equivalent to a 3 story roof). I am able to get 2-1 and 2-2 pretty reliably, but 4 and 9 are bad (pixelization/dropouts/etc.), 7 doesn't come in, neither of the PBS's (6 or 12) come in, but I do get FOX on 31.

This can be corrected by pointing the antenna, when they come out with the 8-bay (I am getting the same thing) you should be better of as this is a high gain antenna. I have the stealth now and am surprised to be receiving 9 so well ... I hope this works with the 8-bay. The 8-bay is rated at 60 miles, but that usually means to could pull signals as far as 100 miles away.

Unfortunately the SD stations don't hold up quite as well. I have a home office and usually run CNN Headline News in a window on one on my screens while I'm working. I noted there's a lot of video noise or over-modulation in the various panels that CNNHLN displays - very distracting, and it forced me MSNBC and HDNEWS.

I have not seen this, to troubleshoot when you are watching this channel go to the options and check your transponder signal strength. This will tell you more accurately what you signal is on this station.

I have also had some difficulty getting pictures to look properly proportioned on my downstairs Sony 36 4:3 HD (using DVI) - I really think the VOOM box should offer more squeeze/stretch/zoom/truncate options.

It's like 5-card stud ... whatcha get ya got. Check your TV's options. Mine does not support changing aspect on Component Video sources, however, yours might. This really stinks for me on NBC (9) as I get black or grey bars that are very annoying.

A few questions:
Some of my boxes have older software versions - what do I need to do to get them to take a new download? Do they need to be in standby mode? Is there a specific time of day/night that these occur?

Use the VOOM remote to power off your system at night. I spoke with a CSR and they push the updates almost every night he told me. This correct the tuning quality on SAT stations dramatically if yours are slow to tune.

I thought I saw that someone has an RF remote that works with the VOOM box. We have been RF remote based with Dish here for years, and using IR seems so '80's ;^}

Any aftermarket RF remote should work BUT you will need to have one that has IR blaster functionality as the Motorola box does not support RF directly.

I'm getting an off air signal strength of about 49 and an off air signal quality of about 43 - I'm probably only about 15-20 miles out. Are these abnormally low? Will the 8 bay help (or just piss off my neighbors)? Could this be an aiming issue? I know others on the southern side of town are faring much better.

49 is good before updates, after the update I am averaging 89-93 on SAT and mid 70's on OTA (from Loveland). Fox comes from Lookout Mountain, all the others (4, 7, 9) are from downtown. Check http://antennaweb.org for a guideline from your specific address. Hope this helps!

Service call today, 6/2. Channel 2-1 and 2-2 are now being displayed, and comiing in strong. Channels 4,9, 12 (3 0f them) and 31 come in great. Channel 7 (ABC) continues with no reception, so that's what I'm having the tech look into. With 2 years of free in-home service, might as well see what can be done. OTA mapping presents quite a few channels, but not all of them come in. If there was some way to get ABC, then I have no problems at all.

** I officially have no more problems!! Channel 7 now clear as a bell after installing Winegard PR8800. The Stone Man is a happy guy. Service performed by DishConnect Services, and the technician was John Searcy.

** I officially have no more problems!! Channel 7 now clear as a bell after installing Channel Master 4228. The Stone Man is a happy guy. Service performed by DishConnect Services, and the technician was John Searcy.
Good deal StoneMan! I have the 3101 (Stealth) and it is out performing the Terk TV-55 I had ... I am getting channel 9, but no 7 ... mind if I swing by your place to watch game 5 of the Stanley Cup? I am having a tech out on Saturday to install the PR-8800, I hope this brings me 7 & 4 !!!

I am getting sour on Voom already though, the PQ issues are killing me! Plus I miss my TiVo which is now back in the living room. The wife was quite upset at going to the bedroom to watch Racheal Ray and I had some World Poker Tour to catch up on ... still 3 new episodes remaining to watch, praying for the Voom DVR.

Hi everyone, I'm still not getting all the locals I should be, do I call the main voom number from the website, or who do I contact to set up a service call? I wish I had been sent one of your installers, my installer had serious issues. I'd also like to hear about the rest of everyone's AV setup.....

slacker--hope the PR-8800 does the trick. Since the finals don't involve the Avs, I haven't been following them at all. Flames and Lightning? Not enough of a hockey fan to watch that, I'm afraid. Seriously though--if anyone wants to come by and see the setup, send a private message.

elite1--you can call 1-800-GET-VOOM to set up a service call. If you tell them the Stealth is not pulling in your locals, they will tell you they will send a technician out to take a look at the setup, but he will most likely bring a ChannelMaster 4228 or Winegard PR8800 with him and install it. If that doesn't do it--then they will schedule a follow up and bring a different antenna. They WANT everyone to be satisfied, so give them a call.

Well I finally had my install on Thursday! The satellite install went smoothly & we got a signal strength of 95 & no box problems. Did have problems with the OTA setup. Spent hours trying it at different spots around the house and could never get everything at once, it was kind of like one group or another. I finally got tired of the whole thing and had them wrap it up. I'm keeping my Comcast cable - basic with HD so I'm OK with all locals except (7) - ABC. And of course they'd have to be carrying the NBA finals. So I'm going to see about getting a better antenna too.

I'm still blown away by the quality - all the HD PQ is bright & sharp (better than cable) and the sound is so much better than cable HD too - I think all the HD channels are Dolby Digital - I turned off audio compression, now the suround sound is as good as I get off a DVD.

All in All - I feel that I made the right moov in getting Voom!

I hope you can get ABC, SpecialK. When the guy put up the new antenna, we got everything except 7. Then he moved it and I got 7, but nothing else. After he moved it again, everything came in. It was just a matter of rotating the antenna on the mast. Once we had 'signal lock' on all locals, I told him to tighten the clamps HARD. Everything has been peachy since then.

I have decided to pull the plug on Voom. I cannot get ABC or CBS and I cannot live without my TiVo. DirecTV may have big news in the next few weeks, but I miss them too.

Anyone been uninstalled? I am just curious how that will work. I was not a real fan of my newly installed "flyswatter" antenna ... neither was the wife.

I hate to dump them so early but it just does not work for me.

Eastern Boulder County OTA reception?

Hi Colorado Voomers,

I'm in eastern Boulder County and am giving Voom a serious look. I've tried to search this and the other forums for answers, hopefully you all can give me some help..

1. How is OTA reception? I'm specifically asking about the Erie area, near the Boulder/Weld county line. Antennaweb.org doesn't give me much hope.. :confused:

2. Any pic's on what the OTA antenna looks like? Trying to see where I could potentially mount one.

3. I'm currently locked into Comcast for a bit - signed up for the $400 deal last spring after dumping E*. I read an earlier post (I believe from SpecialK) that you can get Basic cable + HD service only thru comcast. What is that costing you? I'm thinking I could keep a basic level of Comcast and maybe HD for the OTA channels.

4. Did you order Voom from Sears, the web, or an independent installer? which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to (hopefully) becoming a fellow Voomer :bow

Hi Colorado Voomers,

I'm in eastern Boulder County and am giving Voom a serious look. I've tried to search this and the other forums for answers, hopefully you all can give me some help... You should be golden from there, you're even on a hill where you may be able to SEE downtown Denver
1. How is OTA reception? I'm specifically asking about the Erie area, near the Boulder/Weld county line. Antennaweb.org doesn't give me much hope.. :confused:
From Loveland, I receive 2, 4 (part-time), 6, 9 (bullet-proof) and 31
2. Any pic's on what the OTA antenna looks like? Trying to see where I could potentially mount one.
They are not very "pretty", my wife calls ours a big metal flyswatter, you can view them at the winegard or ChannelMaster websites.
3. I'm currently locked into Comcast for a bit - signed up for the $400 deal last spring after dumping E*. I read an earlier post (I believe from SpecialK) that you can get Basic cable + HD service only thru comcast. What is that costing you? I'm thinking I could keep a basic level of Comcast and maybe HD for the OTA channels. HD availability throug Comcast is in limited areas where they have completed their build-out. As I said I live in Loveland, I am getting a cable modem tonight but have been told by different CSR;s at Comacast that HD will not be available in my market or that it will not be available until years end .... okay I'll play the optimist.
4. Did you order Voom from Sears, the web, or an independent installer? which would you recommend? I called 1800GETVOOM and had no probs getting installed.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to (hopefully) becoming a fellow Voomer

I plan to cancel my voom after my free month but it is becuase the wife and I are unable to live without our TiVo, Voom has correct most PQ issues since I signed up. OTA was important to me too but I may need to wait on Comcast :(

Voom has a great product if you focus is HDTV, I thought mine was, I was wrong. Timeshifing is where I am at, when Voom HAS their DVR, I'll probably jump right back on the bandwagon.

slacker9876......
Saw in other threads where you were ready to say adios, but got "retained". It's good to see that Customer Service made a good effort to retain a knowledgeable customer. Good to have you back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts