Combine Cablevision TV and TV2 Output from VIP 722

madison

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2006
I have a technical question, which might be quite common to some users in NY/NJ/CT Tri-state area. As Dishnetwork doesn't carry MSG channel, I added cablevision (Optimum TV, on top of existing optimum online service) recently while still keeping Basic Dishnetwork service (Welcome back package with HD local). I have VIP722 with TV2 output to other rooms through in- house wire, which is combined with incoming Optimum TV cable (by signal combiner) with TV2 module at channel 73. While 722 is connected with TV1 (through HDMI), there is splitter before TV2 in other room, one splitted cable to CableTV box (with HDMI to TV2) and another splitted cable to cable terminal of TV2. It seems channel 73 is no more working on TV2 (though it is vacant channel for Optimum TV) and I have to change module channel to 125 in order to receive Dish signal on TV2. But somehow, my remote controller for TV2 is not working (or barely respond), Just wondering what is the problem? BTW, I checked 722 that both remote attenna jack and TV2 output jack are connected through a 2-way signal combiner.

If I understand your question correctly, what you need is a notch filter like the Channel Plus NF-470. That will block channels 70-74 from Cablevision and allow you to combine your modulated channel 73 from the 722 receiver.

With module change to 125, TV2 already receives Dish signal, problem is the remote controller 2 not responding.

madison said:
I have a technical question, which might be quite common to some users in NY/NJ/CT Tri-state area. As Dishnetwork doesn't carry MSG channel, I added cablevision (Optimum TV, on top of existing optimum online service) recently while still keeping Basic Dishnetwork service (Welcome back package with HD local). I have VIP722 with TV2 output to other rooms through in- house wire, which is combined with incoming Optimum TV cable (by signal combiner) with TV2 module at channel 73. While 722 is connected with TV1 (through HDMI), there is splitter before TV2 in other room, one splitted cable to CableTV box (with HDMI to TV2) and another splitted cable to cable terminal of TV2. It seems channel 73 is no more working on TV2 (though it is vacant channel for Optimum TV) and I have to change module channel to 125 in order to receive Dish signal on TV2. But somehow, my remote controller for TV2 is not working (or barely respond), Just wondering what is the problem? BTW, I checked 722 that both remote attenna jack and TV2 output jack are connected through a 2-way signal combiner.

Your problem with remote spurrs from no remote antenea no longer in your system. It sounds as though the antennea was removed off the splitter behind the tv at tv2 location and a cable for the cable box connected to the port on the splitter. Get a 3 way, replace the 2 way with a 3 way and reinstall an antennea on the splitter, your remote should start working again.

Got 3 way splitter and reinstall the antenna on it but still have the same problem. Simply the remote 2 doesn't work, even changed fresh new batteries. Any other suggestions?

I assume that combining remote antenna jack with tv2 rf output is to let remote antenna to be hooked at the splitter before TV2 (instead of rear jack of 722), that was the way worked before I got the cablevision TV. Somehow, after mixing cable TV signal, it is no more working.

Wouldn't be surprised if cable signal is causing interference. Just not sure why the setup was attempted in the first place. Rf output sends signal from receiver to secondary tv(s), remote antenna sends signals through the antenna into the receiver.

Unhook the ctv cable at the point it enters the system and see if remote works.
If it now works then your cable is interfering with the remotes signal on the same wire.
I will assume that tv 2 is either a long way away from or has many walls or floor between it and the receiver location and that's why it was set up that way (this solution has been discussed many times on here)
Running a separate wire for the remote antenna to (or even near) tv2 location could solve your problem.
You may also try changing the channel the remote is using which may or may not work well as a permanent solution
A "notch filter" is another possible fix but more expensive and complicated one. IMO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)