This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Comcast Digital Phone Service - Worth It??

G&T

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
California
We've had SBC (local and long distance) for a year and their prices are so outrageous (over $100.00 a month) I was really wanting to change to ANY other company. When I went to the mailbox today I saw a flyer that offered Comcast Digital Phone for $24.95 a month for 12 months and decided to sign up.

Does anyone have their phone service? Has anyone heard anything +/or/- about it?? Thanks.

(I also shelled out 5.95 for the extra features like V.M, C.ID, CW, CWID)

VOIP (Digital Phone)

Wow $100.00 ...I hope that is after taxes, and those other charges. Verizon has unlimited for $49.95 or $54.95 with (but after the additional charges) you end up paying just below or just below $70 per month. Comcast Voice-over-IP (which is what I assume they will offer) is not available yet in the Baltimore area. I just went to back to Vonage and have noticed that they have improved in terms of voice quality. You can allocate bandwidth ( on your computer from the Vonage website) to improve voice quality but I would not try downloading large files during an important phone conversation (like a job interview). Vonage is $24.95 for unlimited local and long distance to US and Canada (and Puerto Rico). I hear that Lingo (another company) is only $19.95 and is unlimited not only to U.S. and Canada but also to Western Europe. The best part of any of these Voice over IP companies is since they use the internet and not phone lines, the final price is only slightly higher than the listed price (no need to pay most of the fees and surcharges associated with landline). Which is why the phone companies also have their own Voice over IP plans.
Wayne

Wow. Are you sure you have the best packages for your needs?

I've got SBC local, domestic long distance, International long distance (lots of calls to Japan), and DSL Pro (3 Mbps). My bill is almost always under $100 (usually around $80).

Breakdown is approx:
Local w/ CW, CID, CWID $23
Domestic Saver 60 (60 minutes incl, .5 per minute thereafter) $3
Asia Saver (100 minutes incl, .10 per minute thereafter) $10
DSL Pro (3 Mbps) $25
Taxes, fees, and LD overage usually brings it to $80, occasionally $100.