tsduke

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Iowa
Hopefully E* has this in the works.

Comcast to Add TBS HD

The channel will air baseball playoff games next month. By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (September 17, 2007) -- Comcast is adding TBS HD in Baltimore and perhaps other markets on October 1.

Jenni Moyer, a Comcast spokeswoman, confirmed the channel addition today. She said this morning that it was still uncertain if TBS HD will be added to markets other than Baltimore on October 1.

TBS HD is a simulcast of the standard-definition TBS. The network has the rights to carry first and second round action in this year's Major League Baseball playoffs, which begin October 3.

In addition to baseball. TBS airs a variety of repurposed programming including The Bill Engvall Show and The Cosby Show.

DIRECTV has already announced that it will carry TBS HD later this month. The network launched its HD simulcast on September 1.

Comcast COO and President Steve Burke told TVPredictions.com a year ago that the cable operator would offer 32-35 High-Definition channels in the third quarter of 2007.

The addition of TBS HD will give Comcast roughly 26 high-def channels in most markets.

Moyer said last week that the company could not offer a timeline for when more channels will be added.

"We will continue to negotiate with HD channels and we will continue to add HD channels," she said. "But we can't confirm a timeline."

Hopefully E* has this in the works.

Comcast to Add TBS HD

The channel will air baseball playoff games next month. By Swanni

Washington, D.C.

In addition to baseball. TBS airs a variety of repurposed programming including The Bill Engvall Show and The Cosby Show.

Repurposed. Is this a fancy word for rerun or strech.:D

Man I hope E* gets this up before the playoffs. At least give us an announcement. They announced the August channels, what, a month ahead of time.

Keep in mind that all Comcast customers will not see TBS-HD added. Unlike Dish, programming differs by market and local system capacity. In any event, they are far behind Dish in providing HD programming.

One problem with the above is that The Bill Engvall Show is a new show for TBS, and has been picked up for another year too, FWIW. So, that's hardly "repurposed".

Charlie plays his cards close to the vest, avoiding the embarrasments of the past, where plans fall through.

Just keep on speculating guys.

Maybe I'm naive, can't believe MLB would have accepted TBS's bid for the playoffs unless they could guarantee HD coverage across (nearly) all cable systems plus D* and E*. Especially when ESPN and Fox do baseball in HD so well.

Maybe I'm naive, can't believe MLB would have accepted TBS's bid for the playoffs unless they could guarantee HD coverage across (nearly) all cable systems plus D* and E*. Especially when ESPN and Fox do baseball in HD so well.

The only thing MLB is interested in is a big fat check, all other considerations are irrelevant.

NightRyder

I would have to agree with t hat. In a few years HD will be a bigger factor but right now the market penetration is such that immediate dollars means more.

With the MLB playoffs less than 2 weeks away, I'm beginning to get nervous that we won't see TBS HD in time. I won't be at all surprised if E* flips the switch at the last minute without any notice, but it sure would be nice to have some confirmation in advance!

Isn't it already up and running. So, theoretically Dish could flip it on even this thursday??????

Keep in mind that all Comcast customers will not see TBS-HD added. Unlike Dish, programming differs by market and local system capacity. In any event, they are far behind Dish in providing HD programming.

Keep in mind it depends on your market. In mine, Comcast is further along than DISH in providing local content & RSN in HD.....

Keep in mind it depends on your market. In mine, Comcast is further along than DISH in providing local content & RSN in HD.....

I was not talking about additional local networks in HD like PBS, CW and others. I realize that this continues to be an advantage Comcast enjoys in SOME markets. However, even in those markets, Dish has an advantage in total HD channels(National, local and regional)