Comcrap cut my service - using diplexors

nitstalker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Well I had a very interesting experience today... My setup is (was) that I had cable and sat running through diplexors to a 510 and a 622....

Ok... going to work this morning I noticed two of the big Comcrap bucket trucks down the street and a van at the box about a mile away... Figured they were doing something... I came home and was informed by the wife that the internet and phones were out (I have VOIP) I checked and I had no signal... So I called the comcrap people... after arguing with them they sent a tech out.. (And people think E* CSR's are bad)

The guy gets here and checks the line, says I have service to the house and checks the cable modem, have service readings there, he asks where the other drop is, I tell him behind the tv, I told him he could tap in on to the diplexor I was using for cable and my 622....

A big light bulb lights up to the guy... "They trapped your line" he says... I said why is that... He says that satellite recievers have a powered signal and that it builds up a charge on their system and when the charge builds up enough it shuts their system down... He says he is surprised that my cable modem has worked all this time... (Ive used diplexors for my 622 and 510)

He tells me that my using a diplexor was causing everyone's cable modems that was on this line to shut down. (there has been probs before but who knows) He says that the trucks were going down the street unhooking everyone's cable connection and testing it until they found the problem generating 'static' on their line...

Anyway he said that this is a common problem now that many people are getting cable modems... They unhooked my diplexors, hooked my dish up direct, and took the trap filters off the line at the pole and told me that they would come back and run lines (even fish the wires in the wall) to the two tv's that I was using the diplexors on... Wont even charge a thing...

Anybody hear about this happening? He halfway makes sense, but I am not sure...

I would think any halfway decent diplexor would block the LNB voltage from getting to the RF connections.

To each his own, maybe you have more financial resources than I have, but I wonder why are you paying Comcrap for anything beyond the cost for the single connection to the cable modem since you have two E* DVRs? Are you in a location where locals are not available from E*?

Last edited:
nitstalker said:
They unhooked my diplexors, hooked my dish up direct, and took the trap filters off the line at the pole and told me that they would come back and run lines (even fish the wires in the wall) to the two tv's that I was using the diplexors on... Wont even charge a thing...

Sounds like a great deal for you! I wished I had the same situation happen to me. I've heard of this problem happening when diplexors fail to isolate or leak signals back into the satellite (power) side of the diplexor. Other than that, I wouldn't know. Besides, seems like you are going to get a favorable outcome to the situation regardless. That's a break I'd take anytime. :D

No, dont have locals here... My DMA is teeeeny tiny with only 2 tv stations in it, so we are probablly at the bottom of their list. But I got the basic cable package along with the internet because they charge more for the internet if you dont have the cable....

I got the brand they sell at Lowe's they are black with big heat sinks on them...

I very very rarely watch cable (especially since the 622 has OTA on it now) But yeah the outcome is pretty good, I wanted two lines run but didnt feel like crawling under the house... and I even talked the guy into running an ethernet cable to my entertainment center for my xbox and for the 622 whenever they decide to turn it on....

Again, I wish I was in your situation. :) I watch cable most of the time. Dish is my HDTV provider while cable's HD offerings are only toppers, for local sports and some premium content.
For your original post, it is rare...but some diplexors are known to leak. There could possibly be a situation where the Comcast technicians were forced to find a potential problem and troubleshoot ANYTHING in order to appease a complaint. You could find this out by asking the neighbors how their internet service is. I've found myself in a similar situation while troubleshooting a DSL. We've exhausted all our expertise and resources only to find a defective TV that was sitting nearby a satellite receiver connected to a phone line. That customer didn't even have DSL, but the symptoms were still the same (dsl goes down thruout the night hours lasted until morning, spotty service on the weekends.)

Like someone else mentioned, he might have had some bad diplexers and thus the voltage leak. I also run Comcast Internet and the E* signal with no problems.