Commission Seeks Comment on Application by Dish Network for Delivery of Distant's

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Commission Seeks Comment on Application by Dish Network for Certification as a Qualified Carrier Pursuant to the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010.

I'm teater tottering on this one... As a shareholder parts of me say yes its good for the company, ect... But a very huge part of me says no, as in the company cant be trusted... with the on going channel negotations, having 5 channels yanked in disputes, within the past few months, (almost 6) and charlie is being sued by 2/3rds of the major programming providers out there (ABC/Disney, Rainbow, Fuse, ect) on top of the Tivo suite. Past performance of what they did with distant networks, and current performance, I dont think dish can really be trusted any more. Lost in consumer trust is a very big thing, and that's pritty apparent in the influx of new directv subs we have going on right now coming from dish. While the new HD for life campain might have brought some subs on board, I dont know if the recent curn that is happening in the marketplace right now is going to offset those subs or it could even make those additions look like nothing ever happened.

I do know one thing, Directv is running low on HD DVR's and HD recivers. There is a really good reason for that, actually a few. Home Home DVR, and Dish!

If you would like to comment to the FCC with your thoughts, please do so! Dish's Distant Network ability might depend on it!

Attachments

• DA-10-1036A1.pdf
    143.8 KB · Views: 210
Bob I for one totally agree with this request. I for one as you may or may not know live in NH one of the very few states that only have 1 network affiliate. (WMUR in Manchester NH in my case) I definately want news and emergency information intended for my own state. Currently I'm forced to watch Burlington VT locals which rarely carry any stories about my own state of NH. WMUR is assigned to the Boston MA DMA. Since WMUR went digital their coverage pattern is greatly reduced and there is no cable available here and I cannot recieve it via outside antenna. I believe you should be able to watch a TV station via satellite that is located in your OWN state and not be refused service because you live outside the DMA. Funny part of it is if I was 2 miles east of here I'd be in the Boston DMA and this would be a issue with me and Dish would be able to provide me with WMUR.

My point is simple I should be allowed to recieve my local news and info from within my own state.
Bob
N1WBD

Commission Seeks Comment on Application by Dish Network for Certification as a Qualified Carrier Pursuant to the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010.

I'm teater tottering on this one... As a shareholder parts of me say yes its good for the company, ect... But a very huge part of me says no, as in the company cant be trusted... with the on going channel negotations, having 5 channels yanked in disputes, within the past few months, (almost 6) and charlie is being sued by 2/3rds of the major programming providers out there (ABC/Disney, Rainbow, Fuse, ect) on top of the Tivo suite. Past performance of what they did with distant networks, and current performance, I dont think dish can really be trusted any more. Lost in consumer trust is a very big thing, and that's pritty apparent in the influx of new directv subs we have going on right now coming from dish. While the new HD for life campain might have brought some subs on board, I dont know if the recent curn that is happening in the marketplace right now is going to offset those subs or it could even make those additions look like nothing ever happened.

I do know one thing, Directv is running low on HD DVR's and HD recivers. There is a really good reason for that, actually a few. Home Home DVR, and Dish!

If you would like to comment to the FCC with your thoughts, please do so! Dish's Distant Network ability might depend on it!

Bob, I agree about significantly viewed locals. What this is going to allow dish to give you a local out of NYC or elsewhere unless I'm wrong. I haven't read the new STELA yet so I could be wrong.

Bob, I agree about significantly viewed locals. What this is going to allow dish to give you a local out of NYC or elsewhere unless I'm wrong. I haven't read the new STELA yet so I could be wrong.
This is about E* becoming a "Qualified Carrier" under STELA and then being able to provide SV channels to the remaining short markets. Has E* provided the available locals to all 210 DMA's (except for the stations that have not agreed to be carried) and thus become a "Qualified Carrier"? E* must get this status in order to provide out of market locals and/or SV channels.

This is about E* becoming a "Qualified Carrier" under STELA and then being able to provide SV channels to the remaining short markets.
You sure about that? My reading of that pdf is that it is about providing distants again, not about SV fill-ins for short markets.

You sure about that? My reading of that pdf is that it is about providing distants again, not about SV fill-ins for short markets.
E* would have to provide an out of market (distant) channel to fill in the short markets. E* was also prohibited from providing SV channels by the injunction. By becoming a "Qualified Carrier", E* will get the injunction lifted. I believe that E* stated that they have no intention (for now) to get back in providing National Distants.

Bob I for one totally agree with this request. I for one as you may or may not know live in NH one of the very few states that only have 1 network affiliate. (WMUR in Manchester NH in my case) I definately want news and emergency information intended for my own state. Currently I'm forced to watch Burlington VT locals which rarely carry any stories about my own state of NH. WMUR is assigned to the Boston MA DMA. Since WMUR went digital their coverage pattern is greatly reduced and there is no cable available here and I cannot recieve it via outside antenna. I believe you should be able to watch a TV station via satellite that is located in your OWN state and not be refused service because you live outside the DMA. Funny part of it is if I was 2 miles east of here I'd be in the Boston DMA and this would be a issue with me and Dish would be able to provide me with WMUR.

My point is simple I should be allowed to recieve my local news and info from within my own state.
Bob
N1WBD

I'm with you N1. I live in southwest Arkansas about 100 miles form LIttle Rock, AR and about 100 miles from Shreveport, La. Obviously, OTA reception is impossible. DMA says Lousiana but I live in Arkansas and could care less about their news & sports. Also, I have a U.S. Congressman who lives 15 miles northwest of me who made a personal deal for his small hometown of about 5,000 to be able to view Shreveport and Little Rock locals but only with directv. (which is his provider when not in Washington DC.) So it's all political and nothing else. You can blame the FCC and Neilson but it's all a matter of who you are and who you know that matters and nothing else.
I've bitched about this for many years and still have to "move" if I ever want to watch my Arkansas locals. I can't afford to built a cable system tower and cable in this part of the country is nothing but a rip off. (but they do have both Little Rock & Shreveport locals though). Go figure!

Well they are already providing SV channels since the law was signed. They are apparently not providing distant network fillins that are not qualified as SV.

yeah this is more to allow them to provide "distants" to short markets....stations that are too far away to be considered SV but not NY or LA

One of the best examples is WMUR that N1 posted. I know we've talked about that one numerous times
-its available in the state on cable regardless of DMA
-its available in the state on Directv regardless of DMA

Dish wants to be able to do this again. I think since they lost the ability back in 06 to do this Dish wants to make sure EVERYTHING is right before doing it again

i would be much happier if we could go back to '06. i would much rather get my Big Four from Either/Both NY and LA. i hate being stuck with this local crap.

That will be the magic of IPTV.
Speaking of which, what the h*** is going on in the IPTV forum on Satelliteguys? I don't think there has been a post there in ages. Are there any IPTV providers doing business in the US, e.g. providing cable channels or locals to anybody/anywhere?

Personally, I want CBC as an available "local" channel. That is probably very unrealistic.

Well they are already providing SV channels since the law was signed. They are apparently not providing distant network fillins that are not qualified as SV.

First, let's clarify that STELA moved SV to a copyright clause that allowed E* to use SV without a court waiver.

However, E*'s implementation of SV has been very odd. Consider that Utica, NY is a short market with no CBS. In cable homes WTVH from Syracuse covers Oneida county and WRGB from Schenectady is carried in Herkimer and Otsego Counties. E* started with WTVH in the entire Utica DMA, but then switched to WWNY from Watertown, NY. WWNY is not SV in any county within the Utica DMA.

Is it legal to drop a true SV station in favor of another nearby non-SV affiliate?

I'm going to make a wild guess that the retransmission consent fee for WWNY was lower than that for WTVH.

However, E*'s implementation of SV has been very odd. Consider that Utica, NY is a short market with no CBS. In cable homes WTVH from Syracuse covers Oneida county and WRGB from Schenectady is carried in Herkimer and Otsego Counties. E* started with WTVH in the entire Utica DMA, but then switched to WWNY from Watertown, NY. WWNY is not SV in any county within the Utica DMA.

Is it legal to drop a true SV station in favor of another nearby non-SV affiliate?

I'm going to make a wild guess that the retransmission consent fee for WWNY was lower than that for WTVH.

I posted my thoughts here
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/218707-utica-ny-dish-locals.html

I think it has to do with spotbeams

yeah this is more to allow them to provide "distants" to short markets....stations that are too far away to be considered SV but not NY or LA

One of the best examples is WMUR that N1 posted. I know we've talked about that one numerous times
-its available in the state on cable regardless of DMA
-its available in the state on Directv regardless of DMA

Dish wants to be able to do this again. I think since they lost the ability back in 06 to do this Dish wants to make sure EVERYTHING is right before doing it again

And, there is no way they want to get whacked again for selling "really distant" service to their customers.