Companies accused of disguising sales pitch as polls to get around 'Do Not Call' rules

DUH. They're just twigging on to this? I'd say this sort of thing started, oh I don't know, the same day Do Not Call did.

Well at least they can track the bozos down. The most annoying are the calls from "Jennifer" or "Ann" from account services. Letting you know there is nothing wrong with your credit card account at this time but ....

Essentially hackers/scammers have a computer doing autodial phishing attacks. They sign up for some VOIP lines, run the scam and leave by the time it gets tracked down. All over the internet. I get 2-3 calls a week now on my cell phone from these guys. I just do not answer any call now that I do not know.

Dishonest phne marketers. Who would have guessed that was possible.

We get calls all the time from people implying that they are from X when they aren't.

Especially mortgage companies, although often thru the mail.

Fortunately our Ooma phone has a blacklist feature that we have enabled. Ooma has a list they have too of known solicitors, collection agencies, polling companies, and survey companies they already blacklist. We've had to blacklist a few ourselves that have snuck through. We enabled the option to play a disconnect message when those people call. :)

Fortunately our Ooma phone has a blacklist feature that we have enabled. Ooma has a list they have too of known solicitors, collection agencies, polling companies, and survey companies they already blacklist. We've had to blacklist a few ourselves that have snuck through. We enabled the option to play a disconnect message when those people call. :)

Love that feature. Same with Google Voice (which integrates nicely with my Sprint Number).

Its one of the features that is included with their premier service. It's come in handy quite a bit!

They call initially, my wife calls me to have them added to the black list. I go to the call log online and click on the blacklist button next to that number and poof be gone!

Its one of the features that is included with their premier service. It's come in handy quite a bit!

They call initially, my wife calls me to have them added to the black list. I go to the call log online and click on the blacklist button next to that number and poof be gone!

Which is why scammers constantly get new numbers. With VOIP they can change phone numbers every day without worrying.

My main concern would be giving a credit card number to an unknown person who called me. Secondly, many VOIP providers have telemarketer lists plus allow you to block calls of specific phone numbers not already being blocked. The problem with that is, like someone else mentioned, they use voip with any NPA/NXX they want and after hauling ass, set up with new phone numbers which you once again have to block. It just never ends even if you call route their number to a disconnected phone action which with my VOIP provider, VOIPO, gives a recording from the caller's phone service that the number is disconnected or "no good". If a telemarketer is actually a live person, which you determine by Googling the number, I forward the number to a Humor Hotline phone number with an appropriate recording. Example: 2144711194

I have been getting a lot of these "polls" or "fake surveys" this week...:mad:

Iphone coming to Virgin Mobile

Using a Verizon phone in mexico or on a cruise ship

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)