Comparison between StarChoice & ExpressVu

pretzelboy said:
Excellent, guys. Thanks for the information. I've bought receivers through Phillipe at Kusat before. Can anyone recommend anyone better for this or should I stick with Kusat for sales to the US. I'm not sure who all is out there (that is trustworthy) that will ship down here.
Many people at satforums.com have used http://www.starchoiceusa.com/

Yeah, I had good luck with Kusat before except I hated the UPS brokerage fee levied on the package. :( Oh well. It just seems odd that folks would actively want to pay $120 more for the same piece of equipment when Kusat has it available.

Shipping for me with UPS (from KUSAT) was about $55CAD.

However, this includes the $21 US Customs inspection fee (or whatever it is called).

The cheaper shipping, via ground, was about $25CAD, but did not include the $21 customs fee. So for about $55CAD, with faster three day shipping, customs was included. The man at Kusat suggested this course of action because the bottom line shipping cost was about the same, and faster as well.

Mine is supposed to arrive Saturday or Monday. Not sure yet.

I won't call TVM until my hardware is hooked up.

Later!

The best way to ship is to have it go via USPS/Canada Post. They charge a flat $5 handling fee (may have gone upto $8) for custom's items if there is a GST/PST charge. I have found UPS charges a very large fee whenever I have had an order shipped though them. I will not order from any company that forces me to use UPS/FedEx due to this.

I just ordered the Dishpro Plus Twin LNB/Dishpro Plus Separator from Dishstore and for the extra $1.99 shipping for Express mail (the only other way they will ship to Canada) is well worth it. I will have saved considerably more by having it not come UPS to Canada.

Alt

Im interested in getting some more opinions on the HD side as I am going to be adding a BEV/StarChoice system to replace voom here in a week or so.....

I will be subbing to just basic package plus the movie package (for my Stargate:Atlantis)

I hear BEV really bw starves their movie channels and series (such at atlantis) so any with HD versions of both providers Id love to get some comments.

jagouar said:
Im interested in getting some more opinions on the HD side as I am going to be adding a BEV/StarChoice system to replace voom here in a week or so.....

I will be subbing to just basic package plus the movie package (for my Stargate:Atlantis)

I hear BEV really bw starves their movie channels and series (such at atlantis) so any with HD versions of both providers Id love to get some comments.
For High Def, ExpressVu is the way to go. PM Iceberg, he will tell you about brokers and equipment etc.

Get a "Dish 500" style dish for ExpressVU and you will get 91 and 82.

After a few weeks of my *C system.. I can definately vouch for the Picture Quality...

The affiliates (CBC, CTV, Global) look slightly (yes, only slightly) overcompressed, but good for "off-air" channels.. since these just use an off air reciever, digitized, and uplinked, you really cant complain. This could also be artifacting from digital (source) to analog (ota) to digital to uplink, etc... Then again, I could be overly critical too ;)

The Networks (TSN, TMN) look EXCELENT.. I havent seen SD quality like this since I first picked up DirecTV back 9 years ago.. nothing like Dish's SD channels (overcompressed pieces of crap ;))

Once I order my DSR500, I will have to post my opinion of the HD content (which I guess will be different at that time, as they are restructuring them)

Glad you're enjoying SC :)

The main reson the picture is better is because there are only 6 or 7 channels per TP compared to 12 with Dish & ExpressVu :D

The CBC & CTV from Regina (305 for CBC and I dont remember the CTV number) they get OTA, so Ive seen ghosting on there. The best two are Toronto & Vancouver...the 2 main hubs
Calgary should be good too, since that is SC HQ :)

Up here in the great white north I have all 3 systems DTV , BEV and Rogers cable .

DTV has sucumbed to HD-lite and is same with BEV they are both compressing signal down to 1024x768 where my Rogers is giving the full bandwidth 1920x1080i and it does not do the subsim crap ...

I love watching the HDTV US networks in full HDTV glory in DD 5.1 rocks ....

P.S
I have the HD8300 HDTV PVR and added external SATA maxtor 250GB drive effectively doubling my HDTV storage capacity ...

You can never have enough HDTV...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts