component cables

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
is it true that I can take a yellow/red/white cable, plug them into the component output on the dish receiver and then plug them into the component input on my TV and it will be HD?

Lkr,

Video cables (yellow of composite cables, yellow, white and red,) and red, green blue on component cables are supposed to be 75 ohm coaxial shielded cables. Audio cables (red and white) can be more ecomonical flat or twisted pair. At a short distance, less than perhaps 10 feet, the difference between the 2 types is minimal and would probably work with little or no issue.
That being said, your receiver with component out must be HD, a Dish 811, 942, 921, or 211, 222, 622 or 722 and your TV must be capable to receiving HD signal. Other than local stations Dish charges extra for HD, beginning at $10 a month.

Miner

Yes BUT only the yellow has video quality sheilding.

Hmmm.. Heck I've never bought a componet cable. I've always used composite cables (the the OP wants to do) for my component jacks. I have my ViP 722 hooked up via HDMI, but everything else like my DVD players I have always used this trick. Never thought about the cable shielding though. Haven't had an issuses in my setup, but it will make me think twice when recommending this tip to others.

Thanks!

I too use composite cables if needed in place of component cables. Recognizing that the yellow is (on some cables) of better quality I have always used it for the green connection because that is the cable that carries the luminance portion of the signal.

I keep red for red and white for blue. I've never been dissatisfied with the quality yet.

What, I don't need to buy those $89 Monster component cables? :)

Yeah, I got real component cables on mine, A/V cables on the in-laws, can't tell a difference.

well this would only be a temporary setup until my new HDMI cable arrives from monoprice

I have seen the component cables used as composite and the quality is terrible. I do not feel that "Monster Cable" brand are worth the money, but you want to use actual component cables.

If you are talking about a short period of time and understand that the quality might suffer, then yes, go ahead and use them.

i did an quick test of the cabling in question. My tv has multiple component ins so this was easy to setup. I used actual component cables on one of the inputs and plain 'red,white.yellow' cables on another one. I was not very suprised to find no noticable difference in PQ. This was true at all resolution settings I have. We are only talking about 3' here. I would have been suprised to if COULD see a difference. I bet I could use phone wire, at 3', and you couldn't tell a difference.

i did an quick test of the cabling in question. My tv has multiple component ins so this was easy to setup. I used actual component cables on one of the inputs and plain 'red,white.yellow' cables on another one. I was not very suprised to find no noticable difference in PQ. This was true at all resolution settings I have. We are only talking about 3' here. I would have been suprised to if COULD see a difference. I bet I could use phone wire, at 3', and you couldn't tell a difference.

Monster will disagree with you;)

In my experience if there is no visible difference in the size of the yellow red and white cables and they are of at least decent quality they will work fine.

I firmly believe the rat shack gold quality composite and component cables are identical except for the color bands.

beyond Component

I have all the above types of cables on hand (thanks to MonoPrice) just so if I get a new piece of equipment or want to rewire things, I'm ready to go.
I might use the A/V cables for a quick test, if the distance were short (3' was suggested above)
At 10', I would hesitate. Doesn't mean I wouldn't try 'em. ;)

There are several other considerations:

In a jam-packed rack of equipment, using mismatched cables just leads to confusion when trying to debug or rewire things.
So, I find using Component where called for, is just the right thing to do.
Especially since price is not a consideration (see Monoprice , again) -

Also, when you run Component, don't forget the extra pair of RCA leads for audio.
Or a fiber optic cable.
I actually have some nice 5-wire Component sets, which have three for video, and two for audio.
All properly color coded.

And lastly, I have limited hardware to test, but the actual picture quality I can get on my 42" set, is better HDMI than Component, from the same up-converting DVD player.
Just something to think about, when dealing with HD.
Of course, your mileage may vary. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)