Component TV Hook Up Issue

littlejuniata33

Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Have decent coax picture, tried to hook up component lousy pictire weak and black and white, used Y R W connectors on TV (Westinghouse VK 40F580D) and Dish digital DVR, what am I doing wrong> Thanks

YWR are composite, not component. You need to connect to the RGB inputs, like on the back of your Dish receiver (if it is an HD receiver) . Why not use HDMI ? If you are worried about price, go to www.monoprice.com. Cheap and fast. Various connection options are spelled out in user's manual. If it is not an HD receiver, you would be better using S-video, the RW for audio, if you are just going into your TV.

Last edited:
Were you going YRW out of the 510 into the RGB of the TV? Won't work. Need to go to TV's YRW. You ought to look into the current Dish It Up deals for an 622 HD DVR. $50.00 I believe.

It'll be a lousy picture anyway. You need an HD receiver to go with the tv. My brother had a 7100 hooked up to his HD tv. He would watch dvd's instead of the receiver when it came to movies. I finally got him set up with a 722 and he absolutely loves it. Charlie chat last night has Christmas Special with upgrade being $25 or less.

Sure it looks the same, but now you can be smug about having used composite connectors which are superior to Coax.

It really is better, just just hard to tell unless you really dig down to find the differences.

I remember reading an article where someone went speaker shopping and the salesman really knew his stuff. At first the guy couldn't really hear the difference between the regular speakers and the expensive ones. So the saleman proceeded to educate him. Pointing out what sounds to listen for and what qualities too look out for. Sure enough after a while of this education, he sure could hear all of the defects of the less expensive speakers, and they stood out too.

The article went on with the guy lamenting this education, because he was quite happy with the cheaper speakers at first, and now he found them intollerable. He may have been better off without this education. :D It can get expensive that way.

cards ?

is S video cable worth it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)