Confused about locals availability in Rochester MN

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MNCFLFAN

Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Hope you guys can help me out. It was recently announced in our local newspaper that DirectTV will be offering the local channels for the Rochester, MN market. I went to the directv website and when I use the local channel lookup tool, it indicates that there are no plans to offer locals in my market. Here is where I get really confused. I have sent out 4 emails to Directv asking them about the locals and if I would need to upgrade my equipment. (I only have the equipment that receives the 101 satellite. 2 of my responses from Directv were "We are not going to offer your locals." Another response told me to tune to channel 496 to see if I had a message on my screen and then they made a reference to "checking both channels" The message was very confusing as they told me to tune to 496 but then said check both channels. I emailed them back for clarification, and was met with no reply to my confusion over the previous email, just that they were going to offer my locals in the near future. No one could shed light on whether I need to upgrade my equipment of not. Sorry for the long thread, but I am getting frustrated at Directv's customer service people not seeming to know what is going on.

Steve

Hi Steve (from another Minnesnowtan) :)

I heard Rochester/Austin/Mason City is on the list of DMA's they are adding soon. As I understaood it, you would need a second dish at 72.5 for these locals.

Zanesville, OH was another one on the list (there were 4) and that was added recently.

Thanks for the info. Another question, what do I need to get that 72 degree satellite?

Steve

a 2nd 18" dish and a 4x4 multisiwtch to combine the dishes.

here is a link to the press release. Looks like its Rochester & Mankato :)
http://phoenix.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=767600&highlight=

OK I guess I lied...per the release
All channels will be broadcast from DIRECTV's primary orbital slot enabling customers to use their existing DIRECTV receiving equipment
so you wont need any add'l equipment

mankato only has one station (CBS12) so they'll probably get Mpls stations for Signifacantly viewed. You will get
CBS 3
ABC 6
PBS 15 & 24
NBC 10
FOX 47

Does Rochester have a UPN (I dont think they do) or does cable get WFTC from Mpls?
You'll get the WB from Miami (markets with no WB get Miami or San Diego)

Last edited:
Thanks once again for the info. I am even more excited that I don't need any new equipment. Have a great Holiday Iceberg.

Steve

according to a post at dbsforums they are available

It appears they are up but having a few issues from what I could see!

Channel 3 (CBS) had message saying they were having Technical Difficulties....

Channel 47 (Fox) isn't even showing up as a channel being available.

I have noticed Channel 10 and 6 seem a little choppy at times also.

pulled up 55901 and got the following

You can receive these local channels using any DIRECTV® System. So sign up now for a package that includes local channels!

Network Affiliate Local
Channel # 3-Digit Channel # (for older receivers)
CBS KIMT 3 900
ABC KAAL 6 901
NBC KTTC 10 902
WB WB 14 884
PBS KSMQ 15 903
PBS KYIN 24 904
FOX KXLT 47 905

Having Problems receiving Rochester locals

Hi,
I noticed that people are having problems receiving these locals. I signed up today, and after spending about 2 hours on the phone with Directv, I was able to get all of the Rochester locals except FOX 47. Doesn't even show up on my guide. Reception on the channels I do get are horrible, they are choppy and go in and out. Directv told me I need to schedule a $70 service call to look at my equipment. I don't think it is an equipment problem. What do you think? Is there any indication that Directv will remedy the transmission problems?

Steve
MNCFLFAN

it isnt the equipment on your end....its probably an issue with DirecTv getting them from the POP (the site where the channels come in and are uplinked to Direct).

Others have mentioned that there are issues....Its on Direct's end, not yours. I know when Duluth, MN came available on Dish it took a couple days to work out the kinks

so CBS 3 (KIMT) is up now? Others mentioned that it said technical difficulties

I live in Redwood Falls 70 miles NW of Mankato MN--

Somehow I am in the Mankato DMA??? but also able to receive Minneapolis local programming from D*. The DMA disallowed CBS HD New York offered in Minneapolis. I asked for a waiver to receive CBS HD - it was denied by Mankato. No way for me to receive Mankato HD from their low power transmitter here. I spoke with the Mankato station manager and he complained D* did not carry them and weakly claimed it was D*'s fault he denied the waiver?? So I "moved" to Minneapolis--:devil:

It is interesting to me the one Mankato station is now or soon will be offered by D* They are not O&O and no doubt would continue to deny my HD feed if I move back - screw them!

Soon -I hope very soon- our Minneapolis local HD feed will be on line and stop all the games that need to be played.

Thanks again for the info, Iceberg. All my channels come in except for fox 47, which still does not show up on my channel guide. The others still suffer from being choppy. I had made a service call appointment, but soon cancelled it. Hope things are up and running better soon.
Thanks
Steve

bjoh11 said:
I live in Redwood Falls 70 miles NW of Mankato MN--
Somehow I am in the Mankato DMA???
You're in the Mpls DMA...I just ran the zip code. The Mankato DMA is the following counties...Brown, Watowan, Blue Earth & Martin

but also able to receive Minneapolis local programming from D*.
then you're in the Mpls DMA....cant be in 2 DMA's
The DMA disallowed CBS HD New York offered in Minneapolis. I asked for a waiver to receive CBS HD - it was denied by Mankato. No way for me to receive Mankato HD from their low power transmitter here. I spoke with the Mankato station manager and he complained D* did not carry them and weakly claimed it was D*'s fault he denied the waiver?? So I "moved" to Minneapolis--:devil:
It is interesting to me the one Mankato station is now or soon will be offered by D* They are not O&O and no doubt would continue to deny my HD feed if I move back - screw them!
Soon -I hope very soon- our Minneapolis local HD feed will be on line and stop all the games that need to be played.
the rules to get the distant HD is simple....you have to be in a CBS market that is O&O and CANNOT be within the Grade B of ANY other CBS...if so, then you need a waiver. KEYC is blocking you in Redwood Falls of getting CBS HD distant. Moving closer to Mpls was the right thing to do because we can get it :)

You are correct on the last part...if you move back, you will probably be denied even if they are on DirecTV...since they are now O&O you need a waiver.

I am in Rochester and as of right now no channel 47 (fox). I also have 2 receivers that won't download the correct guide data (Sony SAT A55s). My other SD receiver has the correct guide data as does my Directv HD DVR. Probably will have to endure the pain of calling DirecTV about the SAT A55s not seeing the locals. Also if you have a SA TiVo you might (I did) have to run guided setup to get the locals to show up on TiVo. BTW channel 47 is in the SA TiVo guide so it must be some sort of technical issue with getting channel 47 uplinked.

welcome dan 52 :wave

can you see the channels in the 900 area? I havent had Directv but I know on Dish they are in the 7000-9300 range and mapped to your locals
So as an example, on Dish Mpls is at 8370-8383 and 2,4,5,9,11,17,22,23,29,45

No 900 channels. Oddly both SAT A55s have 3 double digit channels (one is WNOL out of New Orleans!) in the guide data with no information. Selecting them results in a searching for satellite message. I tried rebooting (down arrow+menu) them but that did not fix it. It like it not acquiring the correct information from the satellite but I don't know that I can correct that from my end. Probably something in the DirecTV system.

Both of my Sony's (A55 and B55) still will not load the guide correctly. Instead of getting my locals on the guide I get 3 stations from remote areas(Buffalo, California and New Orleans) and when you try to view them it gets the searching for satalite message. Spent an hour on the phone with DTV and they gave up and offered to send replacement. I took them up on one. I think I might have an idea what the problem is but I cannot get into the tuner part of the diagnostic menu, it just does not me let select it. When I first got these recievers I lived in an apartment and I had to activate the wideband feature to get DTV off their service. I am thinking maybe its still activated and screwing things up. Loads of fun.... BTW we got 47 now too. Hopefully one day we will get HD locals, but for now I use the antenna....

Does your Fox 47 have poor audio?

Just wondering if any of you who get the Rochester MN locals are having audio problems with Fox 47? Also, my newer receiver shows the correct station details when I press info or look at the guide, but my older receiver upstairs (which I have to tune to the 900's to get locals) gets the Rochester locals, but shows them as Spanish speaking networks.

I know someone that had similiar problems with their older receiver and he ended up replacing it with a D10. His would go on for about 5 seconds then drop out. I don't know about 47, I usually watch it off the antenna in HD. I wouldn't be surprised about the dropouts since they were delayed in getting on board.

When I talk about audio problems with Fox 47 on Directv, I mean it comes in with a lot of backgroud noise (almost a hiss) contiually. This is not like this on any other station.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts