Confused about resolution, need answers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

woljr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
With Digital technology you have several options on resolution. Below is the situätion as i understand it. Hopefully someone can fill in the blanks. When can you truthfully claim Digital Picture Quality??

HD ( OTA) 1080i
HD ( OTA) 720P
HD ( SAT) 1080i
HD ( SAT) 720P
SD ( OTA) 480P
Analog (OTA ) 280i
SD (SAT) 480P
SD (SAT) DISH ???? ---After Compression
SD (SAT) Direct ???? ---After Compression
DVD 480P

woljr said:
With Digital technology you have several options on resolution. Below is the situätion as i understand it. Hopefully someone can fill in the blanks. When can you truthfully claim Digital Picture Quality??
You can claim "digital picture quality" when you transmit the picture digitally. It has absolutely nothing to do with resolution. Even Dish Locals with their horrible PQ are "digital picture quality". A tiny, jerky, mosaic-like, smeared, blocky webcam window on your PC is "digital picture quality".

And digital doesn't mean better. I think std-def OTA analog is better then Dish std-def local-into-local.

Your question is really too general. Dish uses more then 1 resolution (2 I think) on it's std-def channels. And, even within a resolution, compression levels can vary greatly (sci-fi looks like crap, premiums are better).

For Hi-Def some consider 720p better for motion/sports but 1080i better for general use (didn't espn choose 720p?). But what also looks better can be effected by the native resolution of your display.

Sat hi-def has additional constraints. Multiplexing channels on a transponder can add additional artifacts if the maximum frequency bandwitch is hit. DirectTV is worse here because they are not (currently) using 8psk frequency modulation.

Are you confused yet?

ATSC high definition formats
1080i = 1920 x 1080 pixels interlaced 30 frames/second (1/60 sec/field)
720p = 1280 x 720 pixels progressive 60 frames/second

Newer 1080p TVs will convert 1080i to 1080p. Similar in concept to progressive DVDs (480i -> 480p).

Standard definition formats
480p = 720 x 480 pixels progressive 30 frames/second
480i = 720 x 480 pixels interlaced 30 frames/second (1/60 sec/field)

Standard NTSC TV is considered 480i. Most digital sets will convert this to 480p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts