Confused Newbie to the site...

T34ME

Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
Youngsville, NC
I have spent the better part of the last 4 hours reading and searching for answers and I have yet to find my answer (although maybe I just did not input the correct search terminology), so I am now ready to ask for assistance.

Equipment background: Been a DN customer since 2000 with a 2700 and 4900 purchased units. Currently running both receivers off of the 4900 Dish 500 dish. Until 2 weeks ago, SD TV's.

Enter new HD TV and introduce new 3rd TV, also HD, for viewing in bedroom. Purchased Vip211 for the HD tv, connected it, contacted DN to activate, told it would not work with my current dish (receiver code okay).

Begin research here and was fairly certain that I needed the 1000.2 or 1000.4 for the EA (reside in NC). Then saw some threads that suggest that the 500 will run the new receiver, and that many of you have opted for a 2nd dish installation to get HD channels. As I have a second dish still in the box (a 300 I think), I'm wondering if I just install that and point it to the 129 or the 61.5 will that sovle my problem. Apparantly, my Twin/dual LNB is not correct for the Vip211, so you guys must have changed your LNB somewhere along the way, but to what?

Further, currently I have 2 underground RG6's to my 500. If changing the LNB will get it to work, will one of the DP switches allow me to install the third TV without burying another cable (pain in the arse). Plan to continue to use the 4900 on my SD TV, so I am also mixing old and new technology which is supposedly not an issue.

Sorry about the long read for my first post. I really appreciate any ideas/suggestions you experts may have. If the answer is to get the 1000.2, I run the risk that I have read many of you have with not being able to consistently receive 129.

Thanks in advance for your time.

So you want a total of three receivers when it's all said and done?

Get a 1000.2 dish... don't worry about 129, if by chance you don't have LOS to 129 use your dish 300 and replace the LNB with a DP Dual/Single and connect it to the 1000.2 LNB.

Either way you go since you wanting HD you will have to run another line from the dish to the receiver. With 1000.2, your 211 must be connected in order for your other two to work since they are legacy.

If you already have a Dish 500 with older legacy receivers you want to keep then you will use the 300 you say you might have to aim at 61.5.

1000.4 is not an option for you as all the receivers on the account must be MPEG-4 and they are not.

What is your local DMA and that will tell where your HD locals (if available) are?

He can not use a 1000.4 (4900) a 1000.2 is not a good idea, no use for129. Get a DPP twin for the dish 500, point the old dish 300 at 61.5 ,need a DP duel on 300, feed the 300 into the input of the D500 twin and this will take care on both the new Hd and the 4900
The Raleigh HD locals are on 61.5 and 118

I appreciate all of the suggestions.

OlJim, can I use a DP-xx switch to connect the 300 you have proposed or does it have to be connected to the LNB In port on the DPP Twin. My 500 is backed up against a tree line so there is no easterly view from that location. However, I have an existing bracket on the roof that could easily accept the 300 for an easterly view. I'm wondering if a DP-xx switch adjacent to the entry point of my home run cableing would be an option. This would eliminate the need to bury another 40 ft. of RG-6.

The 1000.2 may work depending on how low the 129 is...I was only concerned about the number of posters that complained about loss of signal.

Again, thank you to all of you for your ideas.

The biggest problem in adding that 3rd receiver and keeping the current setup is that the legacy twin lnb on that Dish 500 only has two outputs. Without adding a switch you can't add that third receiver. Might want to consider getting the professional installation for that 211, as Dish will provide everything you need. As a long time customer they may have been willing to upgrade you for free, including installation. I have also been a customer since 2000, and they upgraded me to a free 612 DVR, including installation to replace my legacy LNBs and switch.

I didn't get the sense several weeks ago when I was talking with the person from India or Pakistan (no offense intended) that they were really excited about my customer longevity. As far as the professional install, I did the install 8 years ago, and found it to be fairly straight forward, and I have yet to have an issue that I couldn't resolve. However, as I am getting into newer technology (legacy vs. DPP), I thought I'd ask the questions here, which would hopefully save me a few dollars in trial and error expense. I'd love to be able to create the elaboratly detailed installation that I saw by Mr. Shell, but that would take more time than the wife would allow me.

I am good with the idea of replacing the Legacy LNB with a DPP LNB on the 500 and adding a DPP LNB onto the 300 and aiming it to 61.5. I believe that using a DP-34 or DP-44 will ease my installation, but I am just unfamiliar with what switch will work with what equipment.

Again, thank you for all of your help.

If I am not mistaken...

You are going to run into a problem. The receivers you have are not Dish Pro compatable. That means you have 3 options. (1) Swap your LNB for a Dish Pro LNB (Dish 500?), add a DP34 switch, and add 3 new receivers. Good news is that you only need 2 lines from the dish, bad news is you have to replace everything. (2) Swap the LNB for a Dish Pro LNB (Dish 500?), add a DP34 switch, add 1 new receiver, add 2 dish pro adapters to the existing receivers. Good news is the same. Bad news is that you probably are looking at the sames costs as option 1 and finding Dish Pro adapters is problamatic. (3) Find a legacy switch, 2x4 (3x4 with off air input), if you have just the 119, if you have the 110 also, you will need to find a 6x4 (???, never used the old dish network equipment). Bad news is you will need 2 lines per satellite to the switch (only 1 from the switch to each receiver), finding the switch might be a problem if you have 119 and 110 (if you don't, old 2x4 DTV switches also work), and, again if you have 119 and 110, 6x4 switches are rumered to be failure prone. Good news is that it can be very cheap and will work.

WTT

Hi guys,

Sorry for rehashing this after so long, but it has taken a while for me to purchase the items that I think would solve my problem. That said, will the attached layout work with the equipment that I have?

View attachment Dish Wiring.bmp

The CSR at Dish is telling me that I have to have a DPP-44 in order to use the VIP-211 (I have not told them yet about the 622, but I assume the response will be the same). I know the the DPP44 will eliminate the need for the adapter at my 4900, but ohter than that, I don't see the big deal.

Again, any assistance/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

OK a few things here on your drawing. You can use a DP34 to do what you are trying to do. A DPP44 would also work but is more expensive.

If you use a DP34 switch you will need 2 lines to the 622, not just one. Only DPP lnbs and switches can use the DPP seperator. Also dont use a DPP twin (not called a dual) on the Dish 500. Find a DP twin to use with the DP34 switch. DPP twins do strange things with DP34s.

I would just get a Dish 1000.2 and run a wingdish off it to 61.5 and someone said earlier. You would be able to run 6 tuners, not need the DP adapter, nor a DP34 switch.

If you took out the 4900 and run the 622's tv2 output to where the 4900 is you could get by with just a DPP twin being used on the dish 500 run to 2 receivers. This would also allow you to not use an external switch.

Thank you for your reply. Since you brought it to my attention, I have updated my drawing to better describe the situation ( I did forget about the Separator that came with the 622). So here is the updated drawing:

View attachment Dish Wiring 2.bmp

So, I am interested in your idea of using the #2 tuner on the 622 to do away with the 4900. As the house is pre-wired with only one RG-6 going to each room from a demarc point located near the DP-34 in the drawing, how do I get the signal feed to the upstairs TV where the 4900 currently is?

It appears that the required solution is to ditch the DP-34 and go buy a DPP-44 in order to take advantage of the DPP properties with only using one cable. I don't understand the "power insertion" part of the DPP-44; seems that the power needs to be inserted on the interior of the house, but in-line on which piece of equipment, or does it matter?

When I got the DPP Twin for the 500 dish, my plan was to have a the option of using the LNB In port, so that is why I didn't get the DP Twin. If I ditch the DP-34 in favor of the DPP-44, that should correct my issue that you spoke of with my current configuration idea.

My apologies for the long read, and I thank all of you in advance for your input.

It appears that the required solution is to ditch the DP-34 and go buy a DPP-44 in order to take advantage of the DPP properties with only using one cable. I don't understand the "power insertion" part of the DPP-44; seems that the power needs to be inserted on the interior of the house, but in-line on which piece of equipment, or does it matter?

The power inserter just plugs in-line with the run connected to port 1 on the DPP44 switch. You'll have a power adapter you need to plug in somewhere you have an outlet (I just had mine behind the TV that was connected to port 1 on the switch) and there is a pass-through connector for the coax that connects to the adapter.

Thank you for your reply. Since you brought it to my attention, I have updated my drawing to better describe the situation ( I did forget about the Separator that came with the 622). So here is the updated drawing:

View attachment 32044

So, I am interested in your idea of using the #2 tuner on the 622 to do away with the 4900. As the house is pre-wired with only one RG-6 going to each room from a demarc point located near the DP-34 in the drawing, how do I get the signal feed to the upstairs TV where the 4900 currently is?

When I got the DPP Twin for the 500 dish, my plan was to have a the option of using the LNB In port, so that is why I didn't get the DP Twin. If I ditch the DP-34 in favor of the DPP-44, that should correct my issue that you spoke of with my current configuration idea.

My apologies for the long read, and I thank all of you in advance for your input.

If you ditch the 4900 and only are running only 2 receivers you can use the DPP twin and will not need the DPP44. Then you just use a pair of diplexers to send the tv2 output to the location the 4900 used to be located.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts