confused

joshua.mcglothlen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Indiana
I have read threads about hard wiring all the joeys by cat 5. I thought i understood if the Hopper has a connection all the Joeys did as well. Would somebody clarify this for me.

This is delivering video signals to the Joey using Ethernet instead of the Dish approved MoCA coax connection. This method may or may not continue to work. Or are you talking about DLNA

joshua.mcglothlen said:
I dont rwally know dnla is to be honest. I am talking about a internet connection.

Then if your hopper is connected to the internet you are golden. You have no need to connect the Joey's individually.

Just for laughs I hooked up a Netgear USB wifi adapter to a Joey (the one from Dish).
I had read the ethernet and usb ports on Joey were non-active. Anyway it registered my network and several other wireless networks in the neighborhood, I signed into mine.
There were no obvious issues at first just a signal strength of 40. The Joey functioned nominally all day. The next morning after the assumed nightly boot the Joey was not linked to it's assigned Hopper. (My 2 Hoppers are ethernet hardwired). The elaborate re-boot was necessary to get it Linked, next morning same thing. I unplugged the usb adapter and did a pull the plug reboot, start up was normal, Joey linked.

Something to do with the usb port or Joey does not need or like that type connection when Hopper is connected? I'll see what happens in the morning with the usb disconnected from Joey, but I'll bet it's linked as it should be.
Sorry for the ramble, just a observation.

Just for laughs I hooked up a Netgear USB wifi adapter to a Joey (the one from Dish).
I had read the ethernet and usb ports on Joey were non-active. Anyway it registered my network and several other wireless networks in the neighborhood, I signed into mine.
There were no obvious issues at first just a signal strength of 40. The Joey functioned nominally all day. The next morning after the assumed nightly boot the Joey was not linked to it's assigned Hopper. (My 2 Hoppers are ethernet hardwired). The elaborate re-boot was necessary to get it Linked, next morning same thing. I unplugged the usb adapter and did a pull the plug reboot, start up was normal, Joey linked.

Something to do with the usb port or Joey does not need or like that type connection when Hopper is connected? I'll see what happens in the morning with the usb disconnected from Joey, but I'll bet it's linked as it should be.
Sorry for the ramble, just a observation.

It doesn't need it when the Hopper is connected, but the Ethernet and USB ports are active now (they were not active at launch) to allow people to use DLNA on the Joey until Dish fixes the software bug. Your Joey is not plugged into the MoCA coax line I assume?

It doesn't need it when the Hopper is connected, but the Ethernet and USB ports are active now (they were not active at launch) to allow people to use DLNA on the Joey until Dish fixes the software bug. Your Joey is not plugged into the MoCA coax line I assume?
I can get the green bars if I choose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)