Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Normally when we go through a time change we normally see many threads about problems with Dish Network equipment because of the time change.

This is the FIRST Time change I can remember where I have seen no complaints or issues due to the time change.

Way to go Dish! :)

Guess they finally got tired of all the complaints.

Well I had a recording set for 2am, it started normally at 1:58 and stopped when 2am became 1am. Luckily I was still awake and was able to record the rest of it.

In reguards to daylight savings time. For those of you that observe it, it is going to be 27 days later next fall.
Here is an article that I read in a South Florida newspaper a few days ago.

This is the last time you will turn back the clock in October

By Ken Kaye
South Florida Sun-Sentinel

October 29, 2006

Say goodbye to time as you know it.

When you set your clock back at 2 a.m. today -- you remembered, didn't you? -- it marked the last time you'll get an extra hour in October. Beginning in 2007, as a means to conserve energy, daylight-saving time will be extended 27 days.

It will start the second Sunday in March and end the first Sunday of November.

In all, that will translate to 34 weeks of more sunlight in the afternoons and evenings, compared with 30 under the current April-to-October schedule.

Many people welcome the extension of springing forward and falling back.

"Who doesn't love that extra time after dinner to take a walk and get some fresh air?" asked Leslie Young, a travel agent based in Hollywood.

Then again, Mariano Garcia of West Palm Beach prefers Eastern Standard Time because it's lighter in the mornings, making it easier for his daughter, Daniela, 5, and son, Andres, 7, to get up and go to school.

"Right now, we get up at 6:30, and it feels like the middle of the night," he said.

Under the current agenda, set by the Uniform Time Act of 1966, daylight-saving time starts on the first Sunday of April and continues until the last Sunday of October. However, it is not observed in Hawaii, Arizona and some American territories, including Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

The new daylight-saving schedule was mandated under the Energy Policy Act of 2005 as a means to reduce electrical demand. People don't turn on as many lights or watch as much television when there is light in the sky, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.

Federal studies show that in the average home, lights and small appliances account for 25 percent of electrical bills. Under daylight-saving time, the nation's electrical consumption is cut back by about 1 percent per day.

"In the past, daylight-saving has been used to save energy with the assumption that people would prefer to have more daylight toward end of day than the beginning of the day," said Geoff Chester, spokesman for the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C. "More activity takes place in the afternoon than in the morning."

Because the same premise applies to air passengers, travel should be a bit easier under daylight-saving time, said Young, a travel agent with TraveLeaders. She said many people avoid flights before dawn or after dark.

"Many times, people want to arrive when it's still light," she said.

School officials said they would advise parents that their children will face more dark mornings under the new schedule and should be safety conscious.

"School police and personnel will communicate to parents that they should take precautions, such as having children wear light-colored clothing and do other things to make themselves more visible," said Steve Nichol, spokesman for Palm Beach County schools.

There is a chance the new daylight-saving regimen won't last long, if the Department of Energy determines it isn't effective.

Beatrice Brown, who along with husband, Howard, runs Brown's Old Time Clock Shop in Plantation, said she hopes it works. "I don't know why they don't keep daylight-saving all the time," she said.

Normally when we go through a time change we normally see many threads about problems with Dish Network equipment because of the time change.

This is the FIRST Time change I can remember where I have seen no complaints or issues due to the time change.

Way to go Dish! :)

Well, I was up at around 4 AM Sunday - Mountain Time Zone (damned dogs didn't know they got an extra hour of sleep :mad: )

Most of it was great, but the TMC-W and TMC2-W were an hour off in the guide. I think that may have been TMC's screwup though. Everything else worked great.

Let me be the first to complain then. :) When I went to the 622 Sunday around noon every event I had to record was gone. I had around 260 or so the night before and 95 timers set. The 95 timers were still there but nothing was set to record. I did a power reboot several times, unplugged the receiver a few times, and did a few check switches nothing worked. My not so easy solution was to go into each of the 95 timers and select edit then done (didn't change a thing) and the events magically popped in as I did each one.

I've had to do this before when I have timers set up to record while near the limit on events (say 280). Once the nightly download goes through there are to many events set to record and it randomly chooses which events to not put in the list. But it has always been one or two that do this and the number of events set to record shows 288. This time there were no events set to record and all timers were still there but when I went into the timer nothing showed up in the list. Once I selected say the tonight show timer, I would hit edit and then done. When I went back into the timer, there were my 5 tonight shows set to fire both in the timer list and also on the schedule list.

Let me be the first to complain then. :) When I went to the 622 Sunday around noon every event I had to record was gone. I had around 260 or so the night before and 95 timers set. The 95 timers were still there but nothing was set to record. I did a power reboot several times, unplugged the receiver a few times, and did a few check switches nothing worked. My not so easy solution was to go into each of the 95 timers and select edit then done (didn't change a thing) and the events magically popped in as I did each one.

I've had to do this before when I have timers set up to record while near the limit on events (say 280). Once the nightly download goes through there are to many events set to record and it randomly chooses which events to not put in the list. But it has always been one or two that do this and the number of events set to record shows 288. This time there were no events set to record and all timers were still there but when I went into the timer nothing showed up in the list. Once I selected say the tonight show timer, I would hit edit and then done. When I went back into the timer, there were my 5 tonight shows set to fire both in the timer list and also on the schedule list.

I'm thinking you're not experiencing a DST issue - You've got too many timers going. I had the same problem until I cut back on the timers. I think it's 60 timers and 288 events max. I'm sure someone will correct me if I have the amounts of the timers and/or events wrong, but I believe the diagnosis to be correct.

My 921 did miss timers after the time change

Just for the record:

My 921 did miss timers set for Sunday morning. I checked before they came up and saw that the time was reporting correctly and the shows were marked on the guide for recording but they did not record. These are timers that have been working for months. I restarted the receiver and all has been well since then.

Dave Swartz

90 timers - 280 events or whatever combination creats 280 events(ie 10 timers w/ 28 events each=280 events)

My 622 currently shows 96 timers and 288 events. It almost always hits the limit on one or the other every day. Ideally I'd like to see 200 timers and 1000 events.

So, we'll be on DST for 8 months out of the year and off for only 4 months... Why don't they just tell us to change in March and then leave it there? Does switching back for 4 months really add to the quality of life in any way?

Mario

So, we'll be on DST for 8 months out of the year and off for only 4 months... Why don't they just tell us to change in March and then leave it there? Does switching back for 4 months really add to the quality of life in any way?

Mario

I don't think it will. And I've talked to a few folks in tech jobs who say that everyone is underestimating the effect this will have on anything that has an embedded clock. Everyone got so hyped about Y2K and it fizzled; this could be the bomb that no one saw coming. Not that being off by one hour is a big deal, but for example if you have an old Windows 98 computer and MS is done issuing updates for that OS, it will not change time on the new dates.

I always heard that DST was implemented for the farmers, but they make their own daylight now with all the halogen lights on their tractors and combines. I would rather see no DST and just keep the same time year-round.

sigmtr

I'd rather see DST year round, so we would have more sunlight after work.

Slingbox Pro Phones

Delay in Harrisonburg, VA locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)