Congress ready to take a vicious swipe at cable's so-called set-top "duopoly"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ikki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Minnesota
Congress ready to take a vicious swipe at cable's so-called set-top "duopoly" of Motorola and Cisco and the industry's lack of retail presence.

Specifically, the Commission took aim at the set-top duopoly of Motorola and Cisco Systems which it said controls about 92 percent of the set-top market as opposed to the free-wheeling mobile industry.

"(T)he FCC, in partnership with industry, developed the CableCARD standard to incent competition in the set-top box market. Yet by 2008, two manufacturers shared 92 percent of the market, up from 87 percent in 2006. Only 11 set-top boxes have been certified for retail sale, in contrast to the more than 850 unique handsets that were certified to operate on mobile networks in 2009 alone," the FCC plan said.

This "lack of innovation in set-top boxes limits consumer choice and stymies the emergence of new uses and applications, as well as potentially "inhibiting business models that could serve as a powerful driver of adoption and utilization."

Now would be a good time to let them (The FCC) know how this game between Motorola and Cisco (SA) is affecting the delivery of C Band and KU Band uplinks, it seems to me this problem isn't just limited to the Cable Television home user market.

Congress ready to take a vicious swipe at cable's so-called set-top "duopoly" of Motorola and Cisco and the industry's lack of retail presence.

Specifically, the Commission took aim at the set-top duopoly of Motorola and Cisco Systems which it said controls about 92 percent of the set-top market as opposed to the free-wheeling mobile industry.

"(T)he FCC, in partnership with industry, developed the CableCARD standard to incent competition in the set-top box market. Yet by 2008, two manufacturers shared 92 percent of the market, up from 87 percent in 2006. Only 11 set-top boxes have been certified for retail sale, in contrast to the more than 850 unique handsets that were certified to operate on mobile networks in 2009 alone," the FCC plan said.

This "lack of innovation in set-top boxes limits consumer choice and stymies the emergence of new uses and applications, as well as potentially "inhibiting business models that could serve as a powerful driver of adoption and utilization."

Now would be a good time to let them (The FCC) know how this game between Motorola and Cisco (SA) is affecting the delivery of C Band and KU Band uplinks, it seems to me this problem isn't just limited to the Cable Television home user market.

That's interesting that they say " in partnership with industry, developed the CableCARD standard to incent competition in the set-top box market." Does anyone remember who makes CableCARDs? That's right Motorola And Cisco(SA).

If I was forced to do something I wouldn't do my best job. I'm wondering if the same is true for Moto and Cisco. The FCC requires them to make the CableCARD so they, and the cable companies, don't allow the cable card to have all the features the STBs do. Like On-Demand. There is no technological bottleneck that should prevent CableCARD ready devices from having the ability to have two-way communications that allows for On-Demand. Is just a matter of keeping people on their boxes instead of better machines, like the TiVo. Comcast has the WORST cable STBs I've ever seen, but they can place ads on there, that's not as easy with the CableCARDs. It's all about the money.

Agreed with everything mentioned in this thread. The real problem with Cable---and tru2way for that matter---is that Cablelabs writes all the rules and controls all the licensing, etc. What consumers, and the consumer electronics intrustry, need are open-based standards that also include the DBS (aka Satellite) industry. Cablelabs and Tivo's DVR patents have done nothing but hard the consumer set-top market. It's time to change the rules!!!

That entire article could be applied to C-band and Motorolas monopoly on the digicipher receivers. C'mon congress. If you are going to get mad at one, go for the throat and get everything. Then you can start on Dish and Direct. Give us a generic receiver that can be used for either one with the right subscribed access card of course giving us the power to pick and choose our channels. Do away with subsidising channels that do not have the viewership to survive. Who wants to pay for the "Paint drying channel", or the "Hair growing channel".

That entire article could be applied to C-band and Motorolas monopoly on the digicipher receivers. C'mon congress. If you are going to get mad at one, go for the throat and get everything. Then you can start on Dish and Direct. Give us a generic receiver that can be used for either one with the right subscribed access card of course giving us the power to pick and choose our channels. Do away with subsidising channels that do not have the viewership to survive. Who wants to pay for the "Paint drying channel", or the "Hair growing channel".

As much as I would love to see something like that it will never happen. The snakes will pay off the right judges and the like and keep doing what there doing. Big business and government is nothing but corruption in action.

As much as I would love to see something like that it will never happen. The snakes will pay off the right judges and the like and keep doing what there doing. Big business and government is nothing but corruption in action.

There is already a law on the books to prevent bundling by cable or sat companies. It was written or sponsored by Senator Al Gore. A lot of people have been trying to get the FCC to enforce it for about 20 years. As of this date, I still must buy a package of 55 channels from my cable company to see the locals and about 5 other channels.

Congress passed the so called "Airline passengers Bill of Rights". Maybe someone, or a committee should start a "Video programming Consumers Bill of Rights. Get it ironed out, See if there's enough interest, i.e. petition. And send it to all the governments of North America.
I nominate stone1150 for the committee with the clear and concise
Do away with subsidising channels that do not have the viewership to survive.
That alone would probably eliminate 30-50% of the channels on my cable sub.
Making room for channels I'd like to see added.

when you write to the FCC remember to send a separate email to each commissioner. You can copy and paste the email, but group addresses have not been going through. I do not know if BCC: will - I have forgotten to check. Emails to the FCC only will only be seen by one receptionist.
POP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)