Connecting Second TV to 722K

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rudisill

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
On the road
We travel full time, living in our RV. We recently replaced our 510 receiver with a 722K in our motor home.

When we get back to our summer parking place next week, I need to connect the old SD TV in the garage to the receiver. With the 510, I simply ran coax from the "Second TV" port on the back of the receiver to that remote TV.

The 722K has a "Home Distribution" port in place of the "Second TV" port. Reading the manual, it appears to be a complicated process to simply connect the second TV using that port.

Is it as complex as it looks, or can I simply run coax between the 722K and the garage TV the way I did with the old 510 receiver?

Thanks.

Is it as complex as it looks, or can I simply run coax between the 722K and the garage TV the way I did with the old 510 receiver?
It's actually a very simple one-time setup. All you will need to do is run that single coax from the Garage TV to the rear of the 722k. You will need to set up just a couple of menu options, depending on your viewing preferences. Select a channel for the garage TV to receive your video, decide whether or not you need to be able to watch something different in the garage while the inside TV is being viewed, and a couple of other decisions.

Welcome to the forum....

Last edited:
We finally arrived at our summer parking spot.

I connected the garage TV to the Home Distribution port on the receiver. In the Modulator Setup menu, I experimented with the air/cable, Home Distribution/Direct Connect, and channel number settings.

The best picture I can get in the garage is very snowy. I can only get that much by setting the modulator to Air, channel 31, and Home Distribution.

I am using the same piece of RG6 from the receiver to the TV that I used last year with our old 510 receiver's "Second TV" port. The picture was good then.

Note that the TV is an old analog unit. If I set the front panel on the TV to "Cable", I can just barely get a picture on channel 60 (after setting the receiver appropriately).

What am I doing wrong?

I notice that the "RF" check boxes are ghosted out in the Modulator Setup menu. As I recall, I set our old 510 receiver to output to channel 3.

Thanks.

Hi, sorry you are having a problem with your TV2 picture. In your garage, set the TV to Analog (Air) channel 60 if possible. On your TV1, select Menu 6-1-5 for the modulator set-up. You want to set up the TV2 Out to (Air) and it will go to 60. Then you must select on "DONE" to save the changes. This should give you a good picture in the garage. Please let us know if you are still having an issue! Thank you!

Hi, sorry you are having a problem with your TV2 picture. In your garage, set the TV to Analog (Air) channel 60 if possible. On your TV1, select Menu 6-1-5 for the modulator set-up. You want to set up the TV2 Out to (Air) and it will go to 60. Then you must select on "DONE" to save the changes. This should give you a good picture in the garage. Please let us know if you are still having an issue! Thank you!
The channel I select for TV2 has no effect on the garage TV. If I set TV1 to channel 60 I get virtually no picture. If I set it to 31, I get a snowy picture, but it's the best I can get.

We operate the receiver in Single Mode. Does that make a difference?

Thanks for your help.

I sent you a PM! When a duo receiver is in the single mode, TV1 & TV2 share the same picture. If you change the channel at one location, the channel will change at both locations. In the Dual mode TV1 & TV2 work independently of each other. It should not make a difference for your video issue because either way you should have a good picture of either TV1 or TV2 feed if we have the receiver modulated correctly and the TV on the correct channel.

Last edited:
We travel full time, living in our RV. We recently replaced our 510 receiver with a 722K in our motor home.

When we get back to our summer parking place next week, I need to connect the old SD TV in the garage to the receiver. With the 510, I simply ran coax from the "Second TV" port on the back of the receiver to that remote TV.

The 722K has a "Home Distribution" port in place of the "Second TV" port. Reading the manual, it appears to be a complicated process to simply connect the second TV using that port.

Thanks.
1 what port is the "OLD" tv connected to on the 722?

2 How long is the cable between the TV and the satellite receiver?

3 Are there any splitters or other connections in the cable ?

4 Is the old analog TV so old that it has separate VHF and UHF inputs? The 510 only has VHF CH3 or Ch4 outputs the 722 only has UHF outputs. VHF has less loss per ft. of cable than UHF signals do.

The ch 60 almost not there ch31 snowy image and ch3 clear picture sounds like a long cable signal loss or trying to send a UHF signal through a VHF input.

Last edited:
Reactions: harshness
Set your tv to air not cable. Set the modulation to air 60 for tv2. Turn tv1 modulation off. Hook your cable directly to the home distribution port and the other end to your tv coax port. Tune your tv to air ch60. It should work, if not set tv2 modulation to air ch21 and your tv to air ch21 and see if that works. Select home distribution instead of direct connect. Set your receiver to dual mode if you want to watch different channels at the same time and make sure the 2nd tuner is powered on (blue light on receiver). If you have your receiver in single mode you will get a mirror of tv1 on tv2. Try a different cable or replace the connectors on it.

Make sure it is a direct connect to the home distribution port and not through a diaplexer/triplexer.

Last edited:
Bingo!

4 Is the old analog TV so old that it has separate VHF and UHF inputs? The 510 only has VHF CH3 or Ch4 outputs the 722 only has UHF outputs. VHF has less loss per ft. of cable than UHF signals do.

The ch 60 almost not there ch31 snowy image and ch3 clear picture sounds like a long cable signal loss or trying to send a UHF signal through a VHF input.
That was it!

After scaping the dust off the back of the old TV, I found that I had the cable connected a "VHF/Cable" port. I moved it to the UHF connectors and voila!

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)