Considering a Colorado - Any comments from current owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Hey, folks! I'm considering a new Chevy Colorado to replace my recently-trashed S-10. My current ex-cab 4x4 truck has served my needs well since new in '95. When the current inspection expires in Feb. it will no longer be road legal but it could last me for a bit longer as a "farm truck". Even as a strictly off-road vehicle I fear its time is limited with 185K already on the clock and serious rust now obvious. And I do need a second 4x4 vehicle on the road some of the time so an exchange is inevitable if not imminent.

There are several alternatives to consider (Ranger? Tacoma?), but right now I'm focused on the Colorado as I have been almost exclusively a GM man when buying new over the years, my 2 Subarus being the only exceptions. I usually can't find the high-end equipment combinations I want, so I'll probably order this one then keep it as long as possible, as I did with the '95. That spreads the substantial depreciation over many years. I'd probably go with the ex-cab vs. a crew cab to get a comparable truck and the same size (~6.5') bed. I already have a car and the kids are now grown-up, so another rear seat does not buy me much, YMMV.

Anyway - Do you have any comments to share - good or bad - about your Colorado? I'd be interested in hearing them. I'm looking for possibly different perspectives I might hear in this forum vs. the dedicated ones. My salesman (a 30+ year acquaintance) tells me the Colorado is not the same truck as an S-10 and he thinks I would be disappointed. But I think he is trying to move me up to a Silverado.

I do have a few questions:

1) What "real" mileage are you getting with your 3.5 (now 3.7) I-5 in combination driving? (I will rarely have a load, and rarely use 4x4 on the road.)

2) Do you know if Chevy is, or soon will be, offering a dual-fuel capability with the I5 engine? Any experience with E85?

3) A "locking" rear differential is now standard with the Z71 package that I will order. Any experience with a "locking" differential vs. the "limited slip" variety as I now have on the S-10?

4) I did note that the Colorado has a 200 lb GVW advantage vs. a comparable S-10, something that's important to me when I'm hauling wood, but that might all be consumed in base weight vs. capacity. Any knowledge?

5) Any options I should definitely get, or definitely NOT get?

Tks in advance and BRgds...

"we feel the majority of shoppers will do better with one of the other trucks in this segment."
From here.

Also read this.

6.5 at Edmunds.

These and other comments, and conversations with Enterprise Fleet Maintenance, led us to drop the Colorado from consideration. We moved to Tacomas, except for long distance drivers.

Sorry.

I hated my Colorado, nothing but problems. Owned nothing but Chevy's since 1986, Traded it in on a Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Tks, guys. I read both of navychop's links. Frankly I too am underwhelmed by the "I" engines from the little bit I know. I also noticed that Chevy down-rated the EPA estimates for the Colorado for '08, but that could be due to a speed difference (need to verify). I wonder if there's a chance Chevy would offer their venerable 4.3L V6 in the Colorado at some point? I had a lot of luck with two of those.

And I'm really beginning to get interested in a dual-fuel capability, like the 2 gas engines offered in the Silverado allow. In theory we will have an E85 plant opening nearby so I assume that means we'll have ready access to that fuel. It's too much truck for me, but with a decent gas mileage estimate (20 hwy for the 5.3L?), E85 capability, and higher value, I might just try one. Right now the deals on the full-sized trucks are not to be ignored!

cybok0 - What kinds of problems?

Tks again...

My brother-in-law owns one and wants to get rid of it.... His is an '06, I think. Poor gas mileage and constant little "glitches" with it.

You mention Rangers and Tacomas too. In my opinion, Rangers and Colorados don't belong in the same grouping as a Tacoma (or Tundra). Get a Toyota and you will NOT regret it.

Where are the Tacomas assembled? I'm kinda on a "buy American" kick as far as possible. If it's at least assembled in this country I'll consider it. (My Outback was assembled in Indiana, but other Subarus might be imported.) Of course with the UAW members on strike from GM I probably won't be ordering a Chevy, and probably what's on the lots won't last long...

According to wikipedia: "The second generation Tacomas are assembled in Fremont, California while the beds are built in Mexico."

(2nd generation is the current model)

You might also look at the Nissan Frontier. It's built in either Smyrna, Tennessee or
Curitiba, Brazil. Don't know if the ones made in TN are for the North American while the Brazil ones are for a different market or if they mix them up. Consumer Reports rates the Frontier very high.

Id go with the Tacoma TRD 4x4.. It will be the best truck you've ever owned. Great MPG, rugged, long lasting, and powerful. Toyota has alot of plants and investments in the states, they got tired of paying the import taxes and the shipping fees, so its cheaper for them to assemble the cars here, although alot of parts are made over seas... So are GM and ford parts.....

cybok0 - What kinds of problems?

Tks again...

After my warranty was over:rolleyes:, when it got cold out, the damn car thought the doors were always open, the tailgate lock broke, when I put it in 4lo the check engine light always came on and with the car thinking the doors were open, you couldn't use the remote lock.:(:mad: I hated that truck.:mad::mad::(

I think the technical term for that is "Cursed by Witches."
;)

Bought a Silverado instead !!

Nobody could say anything good about the Colorado here, especially those that wrote the linked articles (Tks again for those, navychop!). There are three folks here at work that have them. Only one raved about it. The others were frankly tepid at best, especially wrt the engine performance and mileage. (All are 4x4 autos with the I5. Only 1 has the Z71 suspension.) I never did test drive one - never got that close to being serious!

So I considered going back to a full-size truck after driving S-10s for the past 20 years. The gas mileage on the new ones with small V8s is up to 20 highway, almost as good as I got with the S-10, and some are even FlexFuel. But I was leery spending $30-35K for what I would want all at once in case this was not a good move for me and I had to sell/trade it sooner rather than later. Thus buying new was out, but I was having problems finding what I wanted in a used truck. I was still leaning to GM however, my father having worked for US Steel all those years.

Finally I stumbled onto an '03 Silverado ex-cab with about all the "toys" I wanted including a moonroof! Only 42K on the clock. It has the 5.3L V8 that might get 16 mpg the way I drive (I was expecting only 18-19 with a Colo.). It has the all-important (to me) Z71 susp., skidplates and the locking differential, and also the factory tow package that means it has an external transmission cooler and higher capacity air intake/filter. Brand new tires as well! The Bose speakers were the final push over the top! (Kidding, of course, but it does sound good for a factory system!) Ultra clean inside and out, clean CarFax history, no evidence of damage, clean/rust-free underneath, and test drove very well. It's KBB retailed at $21,500 and I got it for $16,500 from a nearby broker that moves as many as 600 vehicles a month! (68 last Sat. in Sept. alone if I can believe them!) I'm hoping they are top-tier; several folks here at work who bought from them have no complaints.

I'm taking it in to my local dealer for a 30K major service sometime this week. I trust everything will be OK with it, but even if it needs some work (one rattle needs attention, and it needs new wiper blades!) then the several K$$ I saved over retail will give me some room to make it "perfect". I don't think I'll ever be upside down in this one even if I need to trade it soon. Who knows, maybe I'll get another 7-8 years and another 140K miles out of it like I did with my last S-10, bought new and "died" (killed, actually!) at 13 years/185K miles.

Fingers crossed, but so far, so good!

PS - I'm getting $2,690 for my now twice (!!!) totaled S-10 after my deductible. Allstate has offered me "forgiveness" (even tho' I don't have that particular policy) as I have been at-fault claim-free for many years, and with them for 34 years overall. Thus my rates will not increase as a result of the accident(s) with the S-10. And the "new" truck adds only about $150 every six months with full coverage. (How my wife managed to total the S-10 a second time since my OP above is food for another thread....!)

You might seriously consider the Nissan Frontier for a truck of it's size. I've had one for six years now and have never once had a problem other than having to realign the tires (a deer ran out in front of me and I missed the deer but spun around twice and wound up over the median -- without hitting anything). The only problem that I can say costed me any money that wasn't related to that one little fender-bender was the radio going out at about 90 - 95,000 miles. I simply bought a new radio and had SIRIUS installed while I was at it.

It's a pretty consistent truck as far as gas mileage goes (about 17.5 - 19 miles per gallon) and there haven't really been any glitches that have concerned me. The truck is now paid for and, to be honest, if I could afford a new truck right now, I wouldn't have one. On the flip side, if I needed a new truck, I'd go with the Frontier without any hesitation. (And that's coming from an individual that drove a Chevrolet as a first and second vehicle (up until I turned 19) and never figured I'd want anything different). The model I have is the 4-door (Crew Cab) XE version from 2001. It's got 110,000 miles on it and I feel like I just broke it in at about 75,000 because it's drove better since then than it ever has. Even the guys that change the oil say it looks better now than it did at day one.

I haven't heard much about the Colorado but my neighbor had one and tried to sell it to me numerous times after having it for about two months. He traded it in toward a Silverado and has had it for about two years. We never spoke about the truck long enough to ever bring up the exact problems he was having.

Cade

Nobody could say anything good about the Colorado here, especially those that wrote the linked articles (Tks again for those, navychop!). There are three folks here at work that have them. Only one raved about it. The others were frankly tepid at best, especially wrt the engine performance and mileage. (All are 4x4 autos with the I5. Only 1 has the Z71 suspension.) I never did test drive one - never got that close to being serious!

So I considered going back to a full-size truck after driving S-10s for the past 20 years. The gas mileage on the new ones with small V8s is up to 20 highway, almost as good as I got with the S-10, and some are even FlexFuel. But I was leery spending $30-35K for what I would want all at once in case this was not a good move for me and I had to sell/trade it sooner rather than later. Thus buying new was out, but I was having problems finding what I wanted in a used truck. I was still leaning to GM however, my father having worked for US Steel all those years.

Finally I stumbled onto an '03 Silverado ex-cab with about all the "toys" I wanted including a moonroof! Only 42K on the clock. It has the 5.3L V8 that might get 16 mpg the way I drive (I was expecting only 18-19 with a Colo.). It has the all-important (to me) Z71 susp., skidplates and the locking differential, and also the factory tow package that means it has an external transmission cooler and higher capacity air intake/filter. Brand new tires as well! The Bose speakers were the final push over the top! (Kidding, of course, but it does sound good for a factory system!) Ultra clean inside and out, clean CarFax history, no evidence of damage, clean/rust-free underneath, and test drove very well. It's KBB retailed at $21,500 and I got it for $16,500 from a nearby broker that moves as many as 600 vehicles a month! (68 last Sat. in Sept. alone if I can believe them!) I'm hoping they are top-tier; several folks here at work who bought from them have no complaints.

I'm taking it in to my local dealer for a 30K major service sometime this week. I trust everything will be OK with it, but even if it needs some work (one rattle needs attention, and it needs new wiper blades!) then the several K$$ I saved over retail will give me some room to make it "perfect". I don't think I'll ever be upside down in this one even if I need to trade it soon. Who knows, maybe I'll get another 7-8 years and another 140K miles out of it like I did with my last S-10, bought new and "died" (killed, actually!) at 13 years/185K miles.

Fingers crossed, but so far, so good!

PS - I'm getting $2,690 for my now twice (!!!) totaled S-10 after my deductible. Allstate has offered me "forgiveness" (even tho' I don't have that particular policy) as I have been at-fault claim-free for many years, and with them for 34 years overall. Thus my rates will not increase as a result of the accident(s) with the S-10. And the "new" truck adds only about $150 every six months with full coverage. (How my wife managed to total the S-10 a second time since my OP above is food for another thread....!)

NOW I FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT! :( I read the first post and never even went to the second page before replying. Sorry about that! Anyways, as I said, my neighbor has had a Silverado for about two years and indicates he wouldn't have anything different. About all my Dad has ever driven is a Silverado. A great truck, no doubt about it! I hope you enjoy your new ride and apologize for the post about the Frontier!

Cade

NP, and tks for your comments! A guy here at work just bought a new Frontier and really seems to like it. He was driving its predecessor - before it was called Frontier - for about 10 years and had no real problems until someone tail-ended him. (It had a chronic problem with the distributor, but predictable and manageable.)

I have always ignored the Silverado simply because I was stuck in the small truck rut. That was OK then. Now I'm "thinkin' bigger", figuratively and literally! The '07 Silverado was MT's Truck of the year, so the series must have something going for it. We'll see how this '03 does for 6-mo. to a year before I make a "final" judgment. I'd like to pay it off in that timeframe (more favorable capital gains treatment coming after Jan. 1 so I'm waiting until then to cash-out any more stock), then I can consider making another move. But if I'm happy enough with this truck, I'll stick with it!

BRgds...

You'll be happy with the Silverado... I know plenty of people who are. Not all of them are too thrilled when it comes to coughing up cash at the pump, but it's a really superb piece of machinery.

Cade

i like mine. it is a 4cyl 5 speed 2wd though.:)
You probably have plenty of "oomph" and get decent mileage with that stick. Not having the extra weight and drag of the 4x4 system no-doubt helps a bit too. My stick drivin' days are long past for several reasons and I can't blame the wife completely. When I want to jam gears I still have the Harley!

Glad you like yours. Tks for replying and BRgds...

Welcome, BTW...!!!

You'll be happy with the Silverado... I know plenty of people who are. Not all of them are too thrilled when it comes to coughing up cash at the pump, but it's a really superb piece of machinery.

Cade
Tks for the encouragement! When I topped it off last week after I just bought it, it took $54 and that was with a 1/4 tank still showing on the gauge. Ouch !! That's the most I ever spent for a fill-up except when renting a moving van. At this point I have about 345 mi. on it and it's back to 1/4 again. I'll take it down close to fumes then fill it all the way ($75?) to see what my "average" driving will produce. If I get 15-16 mpg I guess I'll be happy. I don't plan on driving it as my primary vehicle so I'm not really concerned about the mileage. Back to the Subie next week and its 23 mpg.

I spent another $1,050 on the truck this week, some for parts but most for service. I had my dealer do a thorough look-over and do an almost full 30K mi. service, plus alignment, install a block heater, new wiper blades, etc. He pronounced it "solid" (like a rock?). I guess that's what I wanted to hear, especially after paying for the service!

Tks for responding. Happy Trails to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts