Considering an LG DR787T and axing my Voom

falafeljack

Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Hi all. I am trying to get back in the OTA HD game. I have a Voom box but it doesn't seem to be getting all the channels I want in my 3rd story apt (balcony looks to the east in zip 85006).

What's weird is I have a Hauppage 950 USB HDTV tuner and a cheapo HDTV LCD that are getting ALL the HDTV OTA channels in my area using the crappy antenna that came with that USB tuner.

Anywho, I was thinking about selling my Voom box and buying the LG DR787T. I really would like to eliminate two boxes and have just one. I'm currently bidding on an LG 4200a but I'm not sure if I'll win. I haven't had much luck getting channels clearly with my Voom box and I've tried a couple antennas. My apt complex are a-holes and won't let me have any antenna stick out past my balcony or mount to the railing. All the indoor antennas I have tried with the Voom box don't seem to work any better either. I have to search and repoint any time I want to switch from watching NBC to FOX to whatever. It's madness.

Any reasons why I shouldn't go with the LG DR787T?

Thanks for your help!

Well, you tell a good story, but it's a little short on information.

What is your zip code, so we can assess your digital potential?

What type of service does the apt complex provide (cable, satellite, etc.)?

Are you aware of the FCC requirement for landlords and associations giving tennants the right to erect antennas in exclusive use areas?

If your balcony and it's railing are exclusive use areas for you, they legally cannot prevent you from putting up an antenna necessary for adequate TV reception.

I am not familiar with the LG tuner's reputation.

I would suggest you get a small outdoor antenna to use indoors or put up an outdoor antenna.

Well, you tell a good story, but it's a little short on information.

What is your zip code, so we can assess your digital potential?

What type of service does the apt complex provide (cable, satellite, etc.)?
I subscribe to basic cable (ch 2-22) so I can get HS Internet

Are you aware of the FCC requirement for landlords and associations giving tennants the right to erect antennas in exclusive use areas?
I am now! :D

If your balcony and it's railing are exclusive use areas for you, they legally cannot prevent you from putting up an antenna necessary for adequate TV reception.
They said that I cannot affix an antenna to my balcony that sticks out past the edge of the building.

I am not familiar with the LG tuner's reputation.

I would suggest you get a small outdoor antenna to use indoors or put up an outdoor antenna.

Great.

All your stations are about 10 miles from you nearly due south and the digital stations are all UHF.

You might consider putting a pipe in a 5 gal bucket filled with cement (or even gravel) and placing that on your balcony to mount an antenna to. Antenna farm is at 173-174 degrees from you so its slightly east of south.

Look at a Radio Shack U75-R UHF antenna, it's only $30 and for the price it's probably one of the best out there. The beam is about 40 inches long so it's not real small, but I have one and it even picks up a VHF channel 5 station 2.5 miles away at 90 degrees. If you're not satisfied you can return it.

Thanks so much for that advice. I didn't even think about the bucket and cement idea. It's not like AZ experiences high speed winds all the time, just during the monsoon season. I have read a lot of great personal reviews on this forum regarding that antenna from radio shack so I am going to give it a try.

Thanks again for your help!

the LG DR787T has a digital tuner but will not output 720p and 1080i hd but down converts to 480i/480p.

I almost purchased one till I read the fine print.

so avoid it if you are looking for hd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts