Considering going with Dishnetwork

phreak

Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
I'm think of going with Dishnewtork since Adelphia is my option for cable. Haven't really heard a lot of good things about them. So, I was just looking for current users comments on Dishnetwork...(customer service, picture quality, etc).

I was thinking of going with Digital Home Advantage AT180 w/HBO and Cinemax (two TVs). I'm guessing after the rate increase it would be $70 dollars a month. I also want to go with the HD Pak for just one of me TVs. So that would be $10 extra each month. What can I expect to pay for a new activation? I would imagine that HD receiver must come with a hefty price.

Just for sh*ts and giggles...how do you guys think Dishnetwork compares to DirectTV? ;)

Hi welcome to satelliteguys :)

You would be set up on the DHA plan.

1 Standard Receiver (322) would feed 2 regular tvs.
1 HD Receiver (811) would feed your HDTV

This is all a leasing plan so there's no upfront costs, contracts, or equipment purhcases to wrry about.

The first receiver's monthly fee is covered in DHA
The second receiver's monthly fee would be $5

The install/activation is $49 dollars, but a current dish customer (like me :) ) can give you a "club dish" number that gives you the install for free. And the current customer get's a $5 monthly credit for a year for referring you (like me :) )

DirecTV probably has a better solid base on equipment and structure, but dish works fine. And with D* DVR and HD equipment is not free.

BFG said:
Hi welcome to satelliteguys :)

You would be set up on the DHA plan.

1 Standard Receiver (322) would feed 2 regular tvs.
1 HD Receiver (811) would feed your HDTV

This is all a leasing plan so there's no upfront costs, contracts, or equipment purhcases to wrry about.

The first receiver's monthly fee is covered in DHA
The second receiver's monthly fee would be $5

The install/activation is $49 dollars, but a current dish customer (like me :) ) can give you a "club dish" number that gives you the install for free. And the current customer get's a $5 monthly credit for a year for referring you (like me :) )

DirecTV probably has a better solid base on equipment and structure, but dish works fine. And with D* DVR and HD equipment is not free.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

So my monthly bill would be roughly $85 dollars or so? I just want a good idea of how much it is before I go ahead with it. I just bought a townhouse so I'm keeping a close eye on my spending. :yikes

phreak said:
Thanks for the welcome. :)

So my monthly bill would be roughly $85 dollars or so? I just want a good idea of how much it is before I go ahead with it. I just bought a townhouse so I'm keeping a close eye on my spending. :yikes

69.99 for AT180 with HBO, Cinemax and Locals
9.99 for the HD Pak
5.00 for Second Receiver
84.98/month Total

There are very few perfect companies out there. I have Dish, My neighbor has Direct TV, and another neighbor has Cable (Mediacom).

As far as HD, The cable looks the best, but still not as good as OTA stations, Dish next, then Direct TV.

As far as SD, they all look about the same, Dish has better Picture quality on some, DirectTV on some and cable on some.

Customer Service, I have had very few problems with Dish's service, but others have had problems, I am guessing, the same would be true for the others.

Equipment seems better tested for DirectTV and Cable, seems like Dish has a bad habit of rolling things out that is not ready, and we become the beta testers, waiting up to a year for a stable device. The 811 for me has become mostly stable now, a bad habit dish should break.

Just remember, these forums are a great place for information, but how many times have you went to a forum, or searched for a forum, just to post positive information on something.

What part of Adelphia?

I've had Dish for years. I just finally jumped to Adelphia, and am eliminating Dish. I've had all of their DVRs except the 522, as well as HD with the 921.

If you also have cable internet, Adelphia will be cheaper for similar content and programming. If not, then Dish may be a bit cheaper. I've not had any equipment problems with Adelphia, but had a lot of problems with Dish. About 3 years ago, Adelphia had really poor customer service as compared to Dish. More recently (the past year or so) it's completely turned around, and I've had nothing but terrible support from Dish.

I find picture quality generally better on Adelphia than on Dish - in particular, HD seems to be better. Also, as I have a DLP HD set, the analog stuff on Adelphia actually looks better than the SD stuff on Dish. A lot of this depends on the quality of your interior cabling. People often get brand new RG6 put in to support Dish, and compare it to old crappy cabling in their home for Cable. About 18 months ago I installed all brand new RG6 with one distribution point to multiple home runs. I find that made a HUGE difference.

wmhjr said:
I've had Dish for years. I just finally jumped to Adelphia, and am eliminating Dish. I've had all of their DVRs except the 522, as well as HD with the 921.

If you also have cable internet, Adelphia will be cheaper for similar content and programming. If not, then Dish may be a bit cheaper. I've not had any equipment problems with Adelphia, but had a lot of problems with Dish. About 3 years ago, Adelphia had really poor customer service as compared to Dish. More recently (the past year or so) it's completely turned around, and I've had nothing but terrible support from Dish.

I find picture quality generally better on Adelphia than on Dish - in particular, HD seems to be better. Also, as I have a DLP HD set, the analog stuff on Adelphia actually looks better than the SD stuff on Dish. A lot of this depends on the quality of your interior cabling. People often get brand new RG6 put in to support Dish, and compare it to old crappy cabling in their home for Cable. About 18 months ago I installed all brand new RG6 with one distribution point to multiple home runs. I find that made a HUGE difference.

I live up in New Hampshire. I was talking to the property manager co. of my condo and they told me Adephia was in bankrupcy for the northeast. I guess Comcast is trying to snatch up the contract for our condo development, as well. They could have it as soon as the end of March and would take 60 to 90 days to switch everything over. Of course, right now this is all "unofficial" and nothing has been put into writing.

Adephia wants $96 a month for digital cable (170 channels), one movie channel, and high speed internet. I'm not sure if HDTV is included in the price or how many channels are included.

oh yeah...

when would they test to make sure i can get a signal? I would assume at the time of installation. But, what happens if they can't get a signal? Would I get charged for anything?

A couple people in the building next to mine have dishes on their decks, but my building is at a different angle. I'm just worried that it might be iffy getting a signal from either my front or rear deck.

here is directv:
TOTAL CHOICE with locals 39.99
hbo + cinemax= 23
hd pack 10.00
5.00 Second Receiver
= 77.99

so directv is cheaper

now with tc+withlocal that is 42.99 = 80.99

The only package that D* and E* has in closely common is AT120 and TC.

nothing else is comparable. AT180 includes the encore theme and TC+ does not so you can't compare that..

If you want PQ don't waste your money on E*, Even my 91 year old Mother-in-law wanted to know what happened to the picture on her TV when I switched to E* last week from Cable, and we have crappy cable. Don't know what programing Package your looking for but I'd look around some more.

The encore package included with the At180 includes TMC-W and another MC-W. I don't watch them much, but if you like movies there are a few of them there.

While I would encourage you to check out all your options, some people here seem to have nothing better to do than just slam Dish. They are a company like anyone else. I got them for SkyAngel originally, but I am happy with them, and I have been for something like 6 years now.

Brad

Here's the scoop on Adelphia

Adelphia is in bankruptcy - has been now for a couple years and it's not just the Northeast. It's nationwide. However, Comcast cannot "snatch up the contract".

Adelphia has put a number of markets on the block. They are evaluating offers from a number of players, including Time Warner and Comcast. There is absolutely no way to figure out what will happen. The "contract" means nothing. Your local government has a "franchise agreement" with Adelphia. This is a non-exclusive agreement that stipulutes things such as franchise fees, and municipal cable access. It does NOT stipulate rates, etc. That ended with the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Prior to that, local franchise authorities (cable boards) had discretion and authority over rates and services. No more.

To be honest, your franchise agreement may even have expires. Interestingly enough, Adelphia has not been very proactive in getting them renewed during the past two years. I would believe absolutely nothing that your property manager is telling you. It's complete BS. The deadline for reviewing the offers hasn't even expired yet, so there is absolutely no way he has a clue what is going on. Beyond that, any agreement would need to be reviewed by the FCC and SEC, and then also with the courts due to the bankruptcy. Then, the deal would need to close, and then they'd need to figure out how to handle the customer migration.

Until ALL of that is done, Comcast can't do a darn thing. Also, keep in mind that should you use Adelphia for internet, dropping cable would mean an increase in Powerlink charges to about $58 per month for internet alone. I can tell you that with Adelphia Ultimate Plus with HD, and three HD DVRs, I get absolutely everything except PPV, and my total cost is cheaper than with Dish - that doesn't even consider that with Dish I did NOT get everything except PPV. I got AEP w/2 premiums - AND, I get no locals in HD and only one network in HD, AND the overall PQ for Dish is actually worse.

Just an FYI.

phreak said:
I live up in New Hampshire. I was talking to the property manager co. of my condo and they told me Adephia was in bankrupcy for the northeast. I guess Comcast is trying to snatch up the contract for our condo development, as well. They could have it as soon as the end of March and would take 60 to 90 days to switch everything over. Of course, right now this is all "unofficial" and nothing has been put into writing.

Adephia wants $96 a month for digital cable (170 channels), one movie channel, and high speed internet. I'm not sure if HDTV is included in the price or how many channels are included.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)